Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Chord Mojo vs. OPPO HA-2SE Comparison Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chord Mojo vs. OPPO HA-2SE Comparison Review - Page 5

post #61 of 75

Size and functionality wise the OPPO clearly has the upper-hand. However I'm reading the OPPO seem to mid-range forward, and I wonder how strong that would be given Beyerdynamic loves mid-range and trebles. The T5p is supposed to be very balanced though, at least my opinion when I tested the model. (without DAC)

post #62 of 75

Perhaps so

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregleo View Post
 

Size and functionality wise the OPPO clearly has the upper-hand. However I'm reading the OPPO seem to mid-range forward

Perhaps so.

 

I was looking for more detail, using it with Apple devices, nice simple shape, and only spending $300 so for me it was the Oppo.

 

Is the Mojo a better DAC/AMP? It may be, but I'm happy with the Oppo!

post #63 of 75

In other words, chances of my being disappointed is close too none as this will be an improvement on existing output of my sources.  Like I'm moving from an average Ford car to a Porsche or Bentley. Both are expensive and a good upgrade which I won't be disappointed with. Going with the one that offers the best specs towards my needs makes the most sense.

post #64 of 75

Thanks for the review. I have owned both. I had the OPPO first and it did a fine job of driving both my Sennheiser Momentums (the bass boost was a life saver on those headphones) and my Audeze EL-8 CBs. I liked the OPPO for office use due to it's portability and the reduced amount of desk space that it occupied. I have to agree with the sound signatures you mention with both units. I bought a Chord Mojo mainly for a portable use that involves listening everywhere but the office. Once I listened to the Mojo it was game over and I gave my OPPO to a friend of mine, and felt it was worth the extra desk space at work. One thing that I really appreciate about the Mojo is that it can drive two lower impedance headphones at the same time, which makes it fun for listening with friends and family. I use the Mojo now for everything (desktop and portable) and consider it a long term investment with which I can use with all of my headphones and future headphones. A friend of mine has a 20k standalone DAC and I have compared this with the Mojo, and the Mojo definitely punches way above it's weight. While lower in price, the OPPO is a great portable AMP/DAC and great for Audiophiles just getting their feet wet, but I feel now after having both that the Mojo is the better value even though it is more expensive. Thanks again for the comparison and I look forward to your full Mojo review.

post #65 of 75

The oppo was my first portable DAC/amp and the mojo the second. Although I appreciate the oppo's capabilities it never impressed me. The mojo on the other hand the first time I heard it stunned me. I would say that the mojo is in another league. Way more transparent than the oppo and more musical. The oppo, in comparison, puts a veil on the music and sounds cold. My Focal Elear, which scales pretty well, makes the difference even bigger.  

 

I would happily switch my oppo to something that is way more portable, say the dragonfly red.  

 

In terms of performance per dollar I think the mojo also wins. Big time. 

 

Is the mojo perfect? No. I love classical music and mojo has left me wanting in that department especially with large orchestral recordings. Also, be sure to treat those USB connections with care. 

post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhalis View Post

The oppo was my first portable DAC/amp and the mojo the second. Although I appreciate the oppo's capabilities it never impressed me. The mojo on the other hand the first time I heard it stunned me. I would say that the mojo is in another league. Way more transparent than the oppo and more musical. The oppo, in comparison, puts a veil on the music and sounds cold. My Focal Elear, which scales pretty well, makes the difference even bigger.  

I would happily switch my oppo to something that is way more portable, say the dragonfly red.  

In terms of performance per dollar I think the mojo also wins. Big time. 

Is the mojo perfect? No. I love classical music and mojo has left me wanting in that department especially with large orchestral recordings. Also, be sure to treat those USB connections with care. 
Well, I have also read the exact opposite when both the Oppo and Mojo were connected to a Audioquest Nighthawk. The Oppo was the preferred option. A lot seems to depend on the interaction with the used headphone.
post #67 of 75

You are absolutely right, a lot has to do with synergy. Furthermore, it also has to to with your musical preferences. For example, I am leaning towards neutral. The Elear is a bit bassy for me but I enjoy it. I have also an open-back Audeze EL-8 which is a lot more neutral but not nearly as good as the Elear. In my opinion the mojo wins hands down with both headphones. I haven't tried the Nighthawks though. I was intrigued but from what I heard they have even more bass than the Elear and their high frequencies are more rolled off. Probably not my stuff. The oppo has also a switch that adds more bass. I never use it but someone else may have it on all the time.   

post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhalis View Post

You are absolutely right, a lot has to do with synergy. Furthermore, it also has to to with your musical preferences. For example, I am leaning towards neutral. The Elear is a bit bassy for me but I enjoy it. I have also an open-back Audeze EL-8 which is a lot more neutral but not nearly as good as the Elear. In my opinion the mojo wins hands down with both headphones. I haven't tried the Nighthawks though. I was intrigued but from what I heard they have even more bass than the Elear and their high frequencies are more rolled off. Probably not my stuff. The oppo has also a switch that adds more bass. I never use it but someone else may have it on all the time.   
The Elear seems to be a beautifull headphone. Next week I may have the opportunity to listen to the Elear. The Nighthawk however is radically different then the Sennheiser HD700 which I have been using for the last few years. (I was tempted by the Elear) Now I'm stunned stunned how well a band like Tool and others sounds through the Nighthawk. A lot of music has really come to live again for me. From all the comments I have a strong impression that the HD700 needs a tube amp, which may not suite the Nighthawk well. The Oppo amp get's however good reviews particulary combined with the Nighthawk (from nwavesailor for example). More positive then the Mojo. But I have also seen a comment from someone who's enthousiastic about the combi of the Mojo and the Nighthawk. So only one thing to do, try them out oneself wink.gif
Edited by Amrit-R - 2/3/17 at 1:34pm
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit-R View Post


The Elear seems to be a beautifull headphone. Next week I may have the opportunity to listen to the Elear. The Nighthawk however is radically different then the Sennheiser HD700 which I have been using for the last few years. (I was tempted by the Elear) Now I'm stunned stunned how well a band like Tool and others sounds through the Nighthawk. A lot of music has really come to live again for me. From all the comments I have a strong impression that the HD700 needs a tube amp, which may not suite the Nighthawk well. The Oppo amp get's however good reviews particulary combined with the Nighthawk. More so then the Mojo. But I have also seen a comment from someone who's enthousiastic about the combi of the Mojo and the Nighthawk. So only one thing to do, try them out oneself wink.gif


I don't know if Oppo would ship direct to you in The Netherlands?  If so, would have the same 30 days to return the HA-2SE if it doesn't work for you as we have here in the US? That would make for a worry free purchase if this is the case!

post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwavesailor View Post


I don't know if Oppo would ship direct to you in The Netherlands?  If so, would have the same 30 days to return the HA-2SE if it doesn't work for you as we have here in the US? That would make for a worry free purchase if this is the case!
Yes, that's no problem. But next week I have to go to the east of the Neteherlands for work. I should be able to combine it with a visit to a store who have several of these devices in stock. And the Elear to try out.
post #71 of 75

Do you have any other DAC's to compare to?
Because there are a number of entry level DAC's that seem to perform quite well.

I'd really be interested to see a FiiO K1/E18 vs Mojo or HA2-SE

post #72 of 75
Thx for the for the review. I definitely need to hear the mojo. I don't hear the sabre glare. Perhaps, my ears are broken...😳
post #73 of 75

Can confirm, mojo has that darker but smoother sound compared to the brighter and more lively sound of HA-2se

post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhalis View Post
 

The oppo was my first portable DAC/amp and the mojo the second. Although I appreciate the oppo's capabilities it never impressed me. The mojo on the other hand the first time I heard it stunned me. I would say that the mojo is in another league. Way more transparent than the oppo and more musical. The oppo, in comparison, puts a veil on the music and sounds cold. My Focal Elear, which scales pretty well, makes the difference even bigger.  

 

I would happily switch my oppo to something that is way more portable, say the dragonfly red.  

 

In terms of performance per dollar I think the mojo also wins. Big time. 

 

Is the mojo perfect? No. I love classical music and mojo has left me wanting in that department especially with large orchestral recordings. Also, be sure to treat those USB connections with care. 

Thanks for your thoughts.  I have an Oppo as well and love its functionality while I find the sound to just be decent.  It doesn't control the low end as I would like and I find the bass boost to muddy the sound.  I went to a Leckerton UHA-6S and found an immediate improvement in resolution and clarity.  It isnt the Mojo, but very few are.  Perhaps the Vorzuge products, although they are sans DAC.

post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurl View Post
 

Can confirm, mojo has that darker but smoother sound compared to the brighter and more lively sound of HA-2se


I know many who are thrilled with the Mojo / AQ Nighthawk combo. If the the Mojo is indeed darker, I'm glad I have the HA-2SE / Nighthawk combo.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Chord Mojo vs. OPPO HA-2SE Comparison Review