Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more - Page 42

post #616 of 626
You do realize you don't need an to actually buy anything new though right? I'm literally listening on my Schiit DAC & Amp just using TIDAL. Didn't cost me a thing. May not be full MQA but it's benefit to me didn't cost a dime.
post #617 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
 


Because I find the MQA business model insidious.  If people believe that it exists to bring better sound to the masses you are dreaming.  It's about one thing and one thing only.  Licensing and the steady stream of income it brings the license holder.

 

The reason DVD Audio and SA-CD were brought to market was because the CD had reached the end of it's licensing cycle.  Sony wanted that back so came up with SA-CD/DSD.  Everyone else backed DVD Audio with the help of good old Bob.  We all know what happened there.  Both failed but DVD Audio did get a little bit of an ass kicking from SA-CD.  Bob Stuart is still butt hurt about this.  All that licensing money gone, poof!

 

So the mad scientist worked on his next licensing scheme late nights for years and years and has finally come up with MQA.  Of course the labels will sign up, just like they did with DVD Audio and SA-CD.  They love to sell you the same stuff only different over and over. 

 

Meridian has gone from cutting edge products to crappy $250 DACS.  There is no money in PCM for Bob anymore.  There are manufacturers that are selling better Schiit for far less money.

 

I'm not going to participate in this latest money grab.  I have 0 respect for it's mastermind.


The biggest difference with SA-CD: there was an actual technical innovation that brought high quality audio to the consumer (which before SA-CD did not exist). And also in multi channel, which on a headphone site is perhaps less relevant, but which can actually deliver superior audio playback results for music on all important quality factors....

 

And most important for the Labels, the delivery format was and is costing nothing extra as there is no need to pay a licence fee. Only the necessary mastering tools and away you go.

For Bluray this is not the case (costs money to the licences holders to produce product) but for download files we can now (still) use the same authored SA-CD files and use SA-CD-iso files to play back on audio players (or extract the lossless DSD files from them).

 

For PCM, WAV and FLAC can deliver lossless high resolution "masters" to the consumers (also streaming) and we do not need another format to complicate and make the business model for delivery of music to the consumers more expensive. There is already very little to earn by the music product owners and makers and that makes that I am also very much against MQA.

post #618 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot Geluid View Post


The biggest difference with SA-CD: there was an actual technical innovation that brought high quality audio to the consumer (which before SA-CD did not exist). And also in multi channel, which on a headphone site is perhaps less relevant, but which can actually deliver superior audio playback results for music on all important quality factors....

And most important for the Labels, the delivery format was and is costing nothing extra as there is no need to pay a licence fee. Only the necessary mastering tools and away you go.
For Bluray this is not the case (costs money to the licences holders to produce product) but for download files we can now (still) use the same authored SA-CD files and use SA-CD-iso files to play back on audio players (or extract the lossless DSD files from them).

For PCM, WAV and FLAC can deliver lossless high resolution "masters" to the consumers (also streaming) and we do not need another format to complicate and make the business model for delivery of music to the consumers more expensive. There is already very little to earn by the music product owners and makers and that makes that I am also very much against MQA.

Noone can stop someone to do something! Meridian is a company, it's doing something like every others did and do. None of us are forced to buy. This discussion comes me meaningless.

I personally did like so much Meridian Explorer 2 and MQA tracks, if someone calls this DAC "crap" and sees MQA as a marketing thing, so what! My ears loved this DAC and this marketing thing.
post #619 of 626
This continuing rant against MQA is pointless. For those who don't find value, fine, your choice. Move on to another thread.
post #620 of 626
Mm..yup. Getting tiresome to read pointless rants. Geez....move on. No one is putting a gun on your head to support MQA. Stick with whatever format you prefer. It is a free marketplace, where choice abounds.
post #621 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post

This continuing rant against MQA is pointless. For those who don't find value, fine, your choice. Move on to another thread.

wait, what ? your saying you only want positive things about MQA in this thread ? 

post #622 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by manpowre View Post

wait, what ? your saying you only want positive things about MQA in this thread ? 

Of course there will be positive and negative posts about MQA in this thread, but saying MQA is just a marketing baloon or saying Meridian 250 USD DACs are "craps" are not negative comments, these are even not comments these are biased words and bothers people who are using Meridian Explore 2 and who are finding value on MQA music.

Showing no respect to people who are trying to create some software or hardware is not a good way to go.

We are not saying anything who is focusing quality of MQA vs others.
post #623 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by manpowre View Post

wait, what ? your saying you only want positive things about MQA in this thread ? 

No, not exactly. But when individuals demonize Bob Stuart, or for that matter, any other noted audio industry leader, I question the validity of such posts.

If one doesn't find MQA to be good for them, sure, share your viewpoint, but be respectful ... that's all I'm saying.

Some of these posts come across as nothing other than trolling.
post #624 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaturanga View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by manpowre View Post

wait, what ? your saying you only want positive things about MQA in this thread ? 

Of course there will be positive and negative posts about MQA in this thread, but saying MQA is just a marketing baloon or saying Meridian 250 USD DACs are "craps" are not negative comments, these are even not comments these are biased words and bothers people who are using Meridian Explore 2 and who are finding value on MQA music.

Showing no respect to people who are trying to create some software or hardware is not a good way to go.

We are not saying anything who is focusing quality of MQA vs others.


went back as far as page 34 and couldn't find even one critic of the Explorer2. perhaps complain about something that actually relates to the posts in the topic?

 

otherwise yeah, enough with the biased words on headfi. let's remove all the posts that are biased from the forum, the 25 posts left about how to solder will be real interesting. :wink_face:

people have opinions, some are ignorant, some are more informed, a great many are false, and all are biased. freedom of speech, means accepting them all. you also have the freedom to disagree with them and express that disagreement(probably better with relevant argument, but even that is an option), so all is good IMO.

post #625 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post


went back as far as page 34 and couldn't find even one critic of the Explorer2. perhaps complain about something that actually relates to the posts in the topic?

otherwise yeah, enough with the biased words on headfi. let's remove all the posts that are biased from the forum, the 25 posts left about how to solder will be real interesting. wink_face.gif
people have opinions, some are ignorant, some are more informed, a great many are false, and all are biased. freedom of speech, means accepting them all. you also have the freedom to disagree with them and express that disagreement(probably better with relevant argument, but even that is an option), so all is good IMO.

Edited by pkcpga - Yesterday at 7:54 pm
post #626 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post


went back as far as page 34 and couldn't find even one critic of the Explorer2. perhaps complain about something that actually relates to the posts in the topic?

otherwise yeah, enough with the biased words on headfi. let's remove all the posts that are biased from the forum, the 25 posts left about how to solder will be real interesting. wink_face.gif
people have opinions, some are ignorant, some are more informed, a great many are false, and all are biased. freedom of speech, means accepting them all. you also have the freedom to disagree with them and express that disagreement(probably better with relevant argument, but even that is an option), so all is good IMO.

Look at this page not needed to go page 34:

"Meridian has gone from cutting edge products to crappy $250 DACS" Can you tell me what are those 250 USD crappy DACs of Meridian? Isn't ME2 in this price level?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more