or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Am I the first owner ??? Qualia 010 !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I the first owner ??? Qualia 010 !!! - Page 18

post #256 of 645
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

thanks for those of the Qualia store, (i read now). I think they had a first idea about what the Qualia is. Sincerely I'm not so iterested in knowing if the Qualia like to one or other, I'm interested in a competent opinion about the quality of the object, and I think everyone have done this.

Now I would like to tell something for those are thinking: "am I another buyer of this headphones"?

I have the answer to these persons: I have 3 kinds of CD, if I play one CD of the first group EVERYONE will buy the Qualia in the same day or instant. If I take one CD of the second group, NONE will buy the Qualia, never. In third group you will tell :"this is a good headphones, but no better than others".

I hope you understand what I'm telling...

About the partners for the Qualia, I think that the source MUST be highest quality (even the interconnect cables) and possibly neutral. I do not think that the amp must be a tube one, the Qualia (IMO) needs only NEUTRAL things as itself is! If the amp is not a neutral you will listen the tube or that kind of tube not the recording you have in the player. I'm using now the RP5 cav (hybrid) that is very neutral (I compared it with the EAR HP-4), and the sound is amazing, I'll tell you soon about the new RP010 with the Qualia that will be a step up in neutrality even respect to the RP5.

Burn-in is a MUST for this headphone because they have a very Hi Definition !!! So the littlest changement (in time) will change a lot in sound.

Best!
Nicola
post #257 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
I have the answer to these persons: I have 3 kinds of CD, if I play one CD of the first group EVERYONE will buy the Qualia in the same day or instant. If I take one CD of the second group, NONE will buy the Qualia, never. In third group you will tell :"this is a good headphones, but no better than others".

I hope you understand what I'm telling...

sure I do...
and I think this is true also for other headphones...
for instance, there are cds I like more with grados, other with cd3k

there are also crappy recordings that make my PX-100 sound better than the sonys

J|!
post #258 of 645
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacopo
sure I do...
and I think this is true also for other headphones...
for instance, there are cds I like more with grados, other with cd3k

there are also crappy recordings that make my PX-100 sound better than the sonys

J|!
...true also for other headphones ??? May be, but surely not at this level. I had a lot, A LOT, of cans and ...

Ciao
Nicola
post #259 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
...true also for other headphones ??? May be, but surely not at this level. I had a lot, A LOT, of cans and ...

Ciao
Nicola

I know you had almost EVERY pair of headphones out there....

so.... did you have the feeling some CD could sound better with another headphone? and what kind of music or recordings are those infamous "second and third groups" of cds?

j|!
post #260 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
...true also for other headphones ??? May be, but surely not at this level. I had a lot, A LOT, of cans and ...

Ciao
Nicola
Nik,

when i read your comments i come to the following conclusion:

the Qualia is very, very transparant and neutral. that way you need neutral equipment throughout the setup, otherwise you're gonna hear the coloration of the other chain(s).(amp, interconnects and source).

the headphone is not forgiving because it is neutral and let your hear any flaw in the setup or even the recording. with bad recordings it sounds bad, with good recording it sounds good and with excellent recordings it shines.
very logical to me since neutral and revealing equipment let you hear everything, the good and the bad.

you are trying to say that this headphone needs a setup that is all around neutral and transparant. It's not forgiving. every flaw is captured.

Good news for people who like the setup very neutral. Not so good for people who like "color" in their sound and therefore a much more forgiving sound.

the good news is also that it scales up with the equipment: the better the equipment, the better the sound gets. no ceiling for it's performance.
the bad thing could be that it also needs expensive setups to let it shine.

think that sums it all up for me.
post #261 of 645
Perhaps someone who's heard them can give some feedback on nik's comments? Gilmore?

I'd like to know how they do against the omega/hybrid combination.
post #262 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline

the good news is also that it scales up with the equipment: the better the equipment, the better the sound gets. no ceiling for it's performance.
the bad thing could be that it also needs expensive setups to let it shine.

think that sums it all up for me.
Josh from the Qualia store was very clear in saying that the 010's ability to perform extends beyond what sony currently makes. Very interesting that Sony's official line would be that their top of the line SACD player is inadequate to truly show what the 010 can do across the entire frequency spectrum it can represent - but yet that's what they said. I agree - this can needs a better rig to really let it shine. Who knows if such a rig even exists out there. It will be a fun challenge for some to find that synergy (because honestly I didn't hear it that Sunday.)
post #263 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline
with bad recordings it sounds bad, with good recording it sounds good and with excellent recordings it shines.

Good news for people who like the setup very neutral. Not so good for people who like "color" in their sound and therefore a much more forgiving sound.
I think good equipment always makes things sound good not make the bad "worst".

I don't equate "colored" to be forgiving. You can have colored and still hear plenty of detail.
post #264 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan
I think good equipment always makes things sound good not make the bad "worst".

I don't equate "colored" to be forgiving. You can have colored and still hear plenty of detail.
With good equipment you hear the "flaws" much easier. You will hear what you feed at it! And if it is a bad recording, it will sound bad!

the degree of coloration is of importance , ofcourse. There is no equipment without it's own signature. equipment with almost no signature is very revealing and equipment with a severe signature can hide sometimes "minute" flaws, wich otherwise you would hear with "neutral" equipment. Hence the term "forgiving".

equipment with less neutrality and transparancy will not let you hear as much as a setup that is very neutral and transparant. it will let you hear everything, also the bad in it's path.
post #265 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn
Josh from the Qualia store was very clear in saying that the 010's ability to perform extends beyond what sony currently makes. Very interesting that Sony's official line would be that their top of the line SACD player is inadequate to truly show what the 010 can do across the entire frequency spectrum it can represent - but yet that's what they said. I agree - this can needs a better rig to really let it shine. Who knows if such a rig even exists out there. It will be a fun challenge for some to find that synergy (because honestly I didn't hear it that Sunday.)
Don't worry;
if such a setup exists, Nik will find it! No doubt about that!
post #266 of 645
I have a theory that the 010's will perform better from a headphone jack with much greater than 0-ohm output impedance. It would be interesting to investigate, using different impedance ratings, say between 100-ohms to ~250 ohms, to see what that effect would have on them.

Just a theory though...
post #267 of 645
[QUOTE=lan]I think good equipment always makes things sound good not make the bad "worst".

I was in a recording studio last week and there was a sessions player there who was messing around with a Fender Stratocaster. He was playing some Eric Clapton piece and he had his Strat voiced exactly the same way Eric Clapton voices his guitar. It was pretty much a spot on rendition of Eric Clapton.

Anyway, I asked him later if he would play that Eric Clapton bit again only this time using a Gibson Les Paul - I also asked him to use a glass rather than a steel slide.

The voicing was, of course different. But the two pieces played live were an interesting study in the idea of "color". The Les Paul rendition was much fatter/ more full bodied; it was warmer and had more texture and was also rolled off at the frequency extremes as well as having a more complex harmonic pallette - all this compared to the Strat. The Strat was faster with much more articulated transient attack; the decay too was faster and more articulate (though somewhat lacking in harmonic complexity); the voice was a bit thinner and, if it were a reproduction of sound rather than a living instrument one might think it more "detailed"....If this was a recording one might think the Les Paul to be "colored" as compared to the Strat. Or, if your preferences moved in the opposite direction, one might say the Strat was "bright" or "thin" when compared to the Les Paul.....But this was NOT a recording and the differences in pickups and voicing seems almost academic to this observation.

OR...I have a Yamaha Concert Series C-2 grand piano in my listening room. My friend with the studio had a Bosendorfer. The Yamaha is clearly "brighter" than the Bosendorfer, or if you prefer, the Bosendorfer is clearly "darker" than the Yamaha. I guess someone might argue one or the other is colored but again, these are actual acoustic instruments so the argument seems almost academic.

"Coloration", as defined by Stereophile's glossary as: "An audible "signature" with which a reproducing system imbues all signals passing through it." seems like a relative term rather than an absolute one in SOME instances.
post #268 of 645
[SIZE=2][QUOTE=tourmaline]Nik,

when i read your comments i come to the following conclusion:[/SIZE]


I always have trouble with this sort of thing when trying do some research on this site. It is often hard to distingush if the poster's conclusion were derived from a direct experience with a particular piece of gear or if those conclusion were derived from a set of inferences gathered from an exciting reading of other peoples posted experiences.
post #269 of 645
The ultimate instrument with "coloration" is our ear/brain interface. Much of all this is a personal preference. There are some absolutes, but at the ethereal "high end" its a preference thing. Many of us like the sound of tubes, but we know their frequency response curves are not as accurate as solid state. Yet the brain tends to like the 2nd order harmonics, the type of distortion with tube electronics. Techincally, its less like the "real performance", but we may percieve it to sound more pleasing. We like that "coloration".

Someday I may get a Qualia, but I like the coloration of my R-10s and EMP. It is noticibly different than the solid state Gilmore V2/SE. I like them both, but I prefer the EMP with the R-10s. It will be fun to see the different amps that people prefer with the Qualias.

I wonder what the over/under is for the time until the first used pair of Qualias is spotted (and scarfed up) on head-fi or ebay or audiogon? I'm guessing 6-8 months.
post #270 of 645
[QUOTE=mbratrud][SIZE=2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline
Nik,

when i read your comments i come to the following conclusion:[/SIZE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline

I always have trouble with this sort of thing when trying do some research on this site. It is often hard to distingush if the poster's conclusion were derived from a direct experience with a particular piece of gear or if those conclusion were derived from a set of inferences gathered from an exciting reading of other peoples posted experiences.
Check out our impressions thread at the meetings forum- that's all first hand stuff there. Also check out the other full meets - like the FLA one, i like that one alot - plenty of first hand impressions to help you out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Am I the first owner ??? Qualia 010 !!!