or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Am I the first owner ??? Qualia 010 !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I the first owner ??? Qualia 010 !!! - Page 14

post #196 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergill
I don't have a "balanced" one (there's a semantic problem here guys, these cables you talking about ARE NOT BALANCED but DUAL MONO-ED, correct me if i'm wrong) but you can expect the same sound signature with better soundstage!
May I ask, which is the "practical" difference between them???
IMO, dual mono means that you have the same signal in both channels, which is not true....
post #197 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller
May I ask, which is the "practical" difference between them???
IMO, dual mono means that you have the same signal in both channels, which is not true....
For me dual mono means Left and Right channel completely separeted.
Like dual mono amp, two separated monoblocks.

But maybe my English is wrong, anyway phone drivers have only 2 wires so i don't know how you can drive them in real balanced mode. The amp can be balanced OK, but not the phone i guess.
post #198 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastergill
For me dual mono means Left and Right channel completely separeted.
Like dual mono amp, two separated monoblocks.

But maybe my English is wrong, anyway phone drivers have only 2 wires so i don't know how you can drive them in real balanced mode. The amp can be balanced OK, but not the phone i guess.
You can use also a ground conductor, for each channel, besides the two signal ones, and just hook it at the amp end....if is that what you are trying to figure with balanced operation.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO "balanced" means one conductor for signal and other for return, for each channel for separate (like two monoblocks, as you say)......most of the times, the ground in the balanced gear, is just used, like in pro audio, to reject noise or the like, but not for any signal related use....as it is not part of the signal at all, and the ground will not give you any improvement other than this noise rejection IIRC.....


Anyway here is one definition, just in case:

Balanced line: A transmission line consisting of two conductors in the presence of ground, capable of being operated in such a way that when the voltages of the two conductors at all transverse planes are equal in magnitude and opposite in polarity with respect to ground, the currents in the two conductors are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.
post #199 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller
You can use also a ground conductor, for each channel, besides the two signal ones, and just hook it at the amp end....if is that what you are trying to figure with balanced operation.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IMO "balanced" means one conductor for signal and other for return, for each channel for separate (like two monoblocks, as you say)......most of the times, the ground in the balanced gear, is just used, like in pro audio, to reject noise or the like, but not for any signal related use....as it is not part of the signal at all, and the ground will not give you any improvement other than this noise rejection IIRC.....
So is a lowered noise floor the only benefit of balanced connectors?
post #200 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide
So is a lowered noise floor the only benefit of balanced connectors?
No, this is one of the benefits of the extra ground wire (or shielding) but you already have the other benfits, without it...less crosstalk, better soundstage, less noise, as the electrons flow in opposite direction, and the noise is cancelled....etc....
post #201 of 645
Thread Starter 
Mastergill & c. please do not go OT ...

About the Qualia:

One of the best quality of this headphone is that they love all kinds of music, they do not have any preference: I cannot say if classical is better reproduced that rock or pop or acoustic jazz...

The med-hi is bright but so natural that yuo have in front of you that voice, incredibly real ...

The bass is very clean and precise.

The dynamic is excellent, one time more, better than the Omega... oh my dear Omega

Best!
Nicola
post #202 of 645
Hey Sov it takes me years to write something in English 'cause i hate misspelling so i always double check with my dictionnary, and now i need to return to my music LOL. Do a quick 'googling' you will find everything you need to know about balanced signal.

Basically the positive and negative of the 'hot' signal are separated, the ground is the same so you need 3 wires. Reason: noise cancellation.


Edit: Yeah, sorry Nik i will stop posting OT (that's my speciality )
post #203 of 645
so a balanced rig would be best for the 010? I'm going back and forth between a balanced and unbalanced config regarding the next amp (and hopefully the last one for a while) I will be getting.

would it affect the sound of the 010 that much? I still would be using it with my other headphones, all of which are unbalanced and wouldn't want to recable due to them being pricey and not wanting to affect their resale value by doing so.
post #204 of 645
I'm starting to think about getting them

nik

pleeease

share your rp010 private shots
post #205 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ
The «baffle» is the part of a headphone carrying the driver and on which the earpads are fixed. If it's open and sound permeable, low frequencies can escape to the rear (and into the open); if it's closed, the membrane, the air volume in the cavity between driver and ear and the ear drum act as an entity with low frequencies. This is a principal difference between closed and open headphones and calls for different driver parameters -- membranes of open headphones for this reason have to make larger excursions. In turn they don't change the coupling characteristic with frequency, other than closed systems.

The latter point is the essential one and combined with my above mentioned points makes me expect the CD 3000 to behave virtually like a closed headphone.

The HD 580/600/650's baffle is quasi-open and sound permeable. As to the Qualia: I don't know if its baffle is open or closed. Maybe Nik can tell us?

Sorry for being slow on the uptake. You're talking about the front baffle, not the enclosure. I understand exactly what you mean now. A truly closed headphone has both the front and the back of the driver in an enclosed volume of air. The CD3ks have solid baffles I *think* (I never took mine apart to look) but open backs. The AKG K-501s at first glance look like solid baffles but upon closer inspection, have a couple ports in them to the rear, and of course a completely open back. The HD-600s have a permeable membrane stretched across a baffle spider and the open back. Very interesting...
post #206 of 645
balanced drive has a number of benefits.

Double the voltage which means 4 times the power (definitely NOT needed
in this case) Double the slew rate, 3db less THD due to matching of slew
rates. 3db more signal to noise ratio if driven balanced.

There are a few balanced and dual mono amps out there.
The balanced blockhead and the atmasphere are 2.
All of my amplifiers can be built fully balanced too.

Just about any amplifier can be made balanced input/balanced output
in five minutes. All you need is 2 such identical amps. You make an
xlr to pair of rca's for the input and a phone jack to phone jack converter.
post #207 of 645
BTW, a balanced or dual mono drive has no benefit with respect to noise immunity or noise floor at headphone signal levels. I'm sure Mr. Gilmore will confirm this. At microphone or even line levels a balanced line can yield noise margin benefits. Any EMI induced over long cable runs would self cancel since it's a differential signal.

That's cool to hear the 010s have std Lemo connectors on them. I've always like them and wondered why headphones like the HD-650s didn't use them instead of the flimsy friction fit plugs originally designed for the HD-414s. Nice to hear Sony has chosen that industry standard solution. This should give plenty of enticement for after market cable makers.
post #208 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
balanced drive has a number of benefits.

Double the voltage which means 4 times the power (definitely NOT needed
in this case) Double the slew rate, 3db less THD due to matching of slew
rates. 3db more signal to noise ratio if driven balanced.

There are a few balanced and dual mono amps out there.
The balanced blockhead and the atmasphere are 2.
All of my amplifiers can be built fully balanced too.

Just about any amplifier can be made balanced input/balanced output
in five minutes. All you need is 2 such identical amps. You make an
xlr to pair of rca's for the input and a phone jack to phone jack converter.
So what is exactly the difference between balanced, and double mono, aren't they similar or not, they look pretty the same to me....
post #209 of 645
balanced has three signals per channel: positive, inverse, and ground.
dual mono has two signals per channel: positive and ground (or inverse??)
post #210 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayt999
balanced has three signals per channel: positive, inverse, and ground.
dual mono has two signals per channel: positive and ground (or inverse??)
There are always and only two conductors through which electrons flow with respect to any electrodynamic driver. The voice coil of the driver has two connections, one on each end of the coil. That's it.

True differential amp designs have both a plus and minus rail voltage, B+ & B-, if you will, and ground, or 0 reference in the middle.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Am I the first owner ??? Qualia 010 !!!