or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016) - Page 314

post #4696 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonenoob View Post
 

You're gonna enjoy these when you get 'em. Trust me. :)

Yah, you and a few others here really convinced me I just had to try this headphone. By Thursday at the latest it seems like, maybe even tomorrow. So stoked.

post #4697 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDN80 View Post
 

 

No, I have not! But if I do go to CanJam this year and someone there has them, I'll give them a listen. TBH though, very happy with the Z1R, so don't see myself being interested in another pair of headphones any time soon -- that is, unless AKG releases a new flagship.

 

 

 

Doesn't make him wrong, but some of that methodology of his is still questionable to me (all that EQing) and I don't care for the guru-like hold he has on what can sometimes be a very sheeplike community and how easily and singlehandedly he can make or break a pair of headphones with his hyperbolic and dramatic pronouncements (THE GREEEEEEEATEST HEADPHONES IN THE WOAARLD, folks!) which has the unfortunate effect of enabling the "measurement first" folks/trolls. 

 

Meh. To each his own.

 

+1 and very well put. I do think you still put it mildly. Some of these guys go bazooka when you don't agree with Mr. Hawaii. ;)

post #4698 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMuuu View Post
 


Better get spare ear pads! Do they sell them seperately? I had asked b4but no answer

 

Sony usually has spare parts available while the models are in production. That's not such a bad idea actually, at least for people who are expecting to keep this model for many years, and possibly seeing it rise in value as it happened with a few old Sony classics.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 

I think he said he picks his modified cd3000 over Z1r by a bit.

 

Gave a little run on my CD3000 yesterday and I'm not surprised purk likes it. Mine isn't modded but there's still something special about that sound. I like the brightness and grainy treble and the whole signature feels lighter than the Z1R, but still having enough meat. They can be a bit more tiring with some types of music, but somehow it's a set that is equally tuned for fun.

 

Oh something that surprised me was the comfort. I was used to thinking the CD3K were the most comfy headphones I had tried (despite being huge, even comfier than that HD800) but now somehow I got converted to the Z1R. I think it is mostly the shape of the pads, they match my ears better.

post #4699 of 5537
I might get these as a replacement of my Shure SE846 if they match the hype. Still impossible to audition them unfortunetly.

I suppose they sound good out of a Chord Mojo?
post #4700 of 5537
They sound fantastic out of the Hugo, mojo out to be similar with a touch out warmth over the Hugo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post

I might get these as a replacement of my Shure SE846 if they match the hype. Still impossible to audition them unfortunetly.

I suppose they sound good out of a Chord Mojo?
post #4701 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

They sound fantastic out of the Hugo, mojo out to be similar with a touch out warmth over the Hugo.

Thanks, good to hear.
post #4702 of 5537
I can confirm they sound great out of a Mojo smily_headphones1.gif
post #4703 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
 

 

Sony usually has spare parts available while the models are in production. That's not such a bad idea actually, at least for people who are expecting to keep this model for many years, and possibly seeing it rise in value as it happened with a few old Sony classics.

 

 

Gave a little run on my CD3000 yesterday and I'm not surprised purk likes it. Mine isn't modded but there's still something special about that sound. I like the brightness and grainy treble and the whole signature feels lighter than the Z1R, but still having enough meat. They can be a bit more tiring with some types of music, but somehow it's a set that is equally tuned for fun.

 

Oh something that surprised me was the comfort. I was used to thinking the CD3K were the most comfy headphones I had tried (despite being huge, even comfier than that HD800) but now somehow I got converted to the Z1R. I think it is mostly the shape of the pads, they match my ears better.

My recabled CD3000 has significantly less brightness and treble issue while having more bass and even bigger soundstage (same size as the Z1R). So they are less tiring to listen to now.  Great pair of phones for sure.

post #4704 of 5537

Hi guys,

 

can someone post a comparison between the Victor JVC DX1000 and Z1R? I'm keen to know the similarities if any.

post #4705 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil21 View Post



Absolutely.


Summit Fi


That combo is so sexy.  I'm looking forward to this exact setup, and comparing it to how it sounds out of the WA22.  I would have done it already, but some Rainforest retailer in the UK seems to be backordered. 

post #4706 of 5537

Well sadly I'm waiting until end of day Friday, still, after having waited since November 5th, a few more days is nothing.

post #4707 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

My recabled CD3000 has significantly less brightness and treble issue while having more bass and even bigger soundstage (same size as the Z1R). So they are less tiring to listen to now.  Great pair of phones for sure.

 

So how and why do the Z1r's become a good deal? I know you paid $500 for your cd3000. You know I hifisharked the schiit out of the cd3000's for a while and came across a few $800-900 deals. I'm not sure how much the recable was but I doubt it was more than $500 making the total $1-1.5k tops. Is it grey market pricing on the Z1r? Maybe the newness of the Z1r vs. rehabbing the cd3000?  

post #4708 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

Well sadly I'm waiting until end of day Friday, still, after having waited since November 5th, a few more days is nothing.

 

Plus it's going to be totally worth the wait :beerchug:

post #4709 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 

 

So how and why do the Z1r's become a good deal? I know you paid $500 for your cd3000. You know I hifisharked the schiit out of the cd3000's for a while and came across a few $800-900 deals. I'm not sure how much the recable was but I doubt it was more than $500 making the total $1-1.5k tops. Is it grey market pricing on the Z1r? Maybe the newness of the Z1r vs. rehabbing the cd3000?  

It is also the value of a new sound signature. In the end, as much as purk should be given respect, his view doesn't mean everybody who listens will evaluate the CD3000 as favorably versus the Z1R. Some will, some won't, so each "evaluation" is completely subjective.

post #4710 of 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post

It is also the value of a new sound signature. In the end, as much as purk should be given respect, his view doesn't mean everybody who listens will evaluate the CD3000 as favorably versus the Z1R. Some will, some won't, so each "evaluation" is completely subjective.

It comes down to personal preferences biggrin.gif and again, a modified headphones vs a stock headphones. Has any of you came to think of what Z1R would sound like with modifications ? Recables for example ?

Anyways, why would you want to pay 1k or 1.5k for a clunker VS a brand new sexy lady as Z1R ? Yeah, it could be more expensive, but very well worth it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)