Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion - Page 218

post #3256 of 3320

Well not exactly the HD600 but I had about 5 minutes with someone's HD650 and I can say in less than a second I would go for the Utopia. The only reason I would pick something like HD650 over the Utopia is because I couldn't afford the Utopia and settle on good enough, but in that case I got a used Denon D5000 I would take over the HD650 any day...

post #3257 of 3320
To be honest the difference in sound quality between the hd600 and the hd 800 is night and day,the hd800 is on a different level and so easy to hear,so i don't understand the review at all.
post #3258 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

Have you ever though that the headband possibly stretched which is why you can replicate your earlier experiences by putting slight pressure on the enclosures? Or the ear pads themselves have possibly changed with use?

I did think about that actually.  I notice the yolks (which used to squeak a bit) have more play in them than they used to.  But, I suspect something else as well because I probably had 100+ hours on them when I accidentally left them running for 2.5 days straight.  I wasn't trying to burn them in but I noticed the difference at that point.  The headphone frequencies used to be mid/upper frequency centric.  the upper frequencies are still present, but the the tonality has shifted towards the lower midrange.  So while the mids are not recessed the emphasis is on lower mids and upper mids, creating a sound that is less favorable to me.  I'd like to have back the emphasis on the middle part of the midrange for a clearer, more cohesive sound.  People describe changes in the sound of the headphone with burn-in.  Perhaps most would prefer the change because it is a sound that is more lush and I'd prefer a clear, sharp, impactful sound delivered by the midrange,

 

This is why I'm looking for people's opinions on amps that, while not neutral, will suit my particular taste of being slightly mid-centric.  The WA5LE I'm using is the upgraded version, but with stock tubes.  Ibelieve the GS-X mk2 is very neutral as well.  I like those, but am willing ot consider other amps or sources/dacs if anyone has suggestions.

 

@joseph69  - thanks for your response.


Edited by buffer - 4/20/17 at 11:23pm
post #3259 of 3320
I so love my headphones
post #3260 of 3320
That's very nice. I'm glad you like them!

My brightness went away on my new pair after 10 hours of burn in. I realize sound is a little more warm and organized when I push the headphones slightly against my ear for a nice seal.

Just toying around with two headphones tonight, but seems clear to me that the Utopia wins on every level. Even in sound stage I prefer the Utopia's.





Listening through a balanced BETA 22 which is my GS-X MK2 equivalent. I plan to make the Utopia's a nice custom cable soon.
Edited by Energy - 4/21/17 at 4:11am
post #3261 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post

That's very nice. I'm glad you like them!

My brightness went away on my new pair after 10 hours of burn in. I realize sound is a little more warm and organized when I push the headphones slightly against my ear for a nice seal.

Just toying around with two headphones tonight, but seems clear to me that the Utopia wins on every level. Even in sound stage I prefer the Utopia's.





Listening through a balanced BETA 22 which is my GS-X MK2 equivalent. I plan to make the Utopia's a nice custom cable soon.
I still think mine are getting better and better probably over 450 hours lost count now but they still surprise me how they still improve,I've got the Nordost heimdall 2 so think that's it for me,Hugo 2 next I think
post #3262 of 3320

 

 

Originally Posted by buffer View Post

 

 

.............

 

 I'd like to have back the emphasis on the middle part of the midrange for a clearer, more cohesive sound.  ........I'd prefer a clear, sharp, impactful sound delivered by the midrange,

 

This is why I'm looking for people's opinions on amps that, while not neutral, will suit my particular taste of being slightly mid-centric.  The WA5LE I'm using is the upgraded version, but with stock tubes.  Ibelieve the GS-X mk2 is very neutral as well.  I like those, but am willing ot consider other amps or sources/dacs if anyone has suggestions.

 

Based on my interpretation of what you have been discussing, the Yggy - GS-X Mk 2 pairing is and/or would be a good fit for you.

 

Have you tried a silver based cable within your current set up?

post #3263 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffer View Post
 

I'd like to have back the emphasis on the middle part of the midrange for a clearer, more cohesive sound.  People describe changes in the sound of the headphone with burn-in.  Perhaps most would prefer the change because it is a sound that is more lush and I'd prefer a clear, sharp, impactful sound delivered by the midrange,

 

This is why I'm looking for people's opinions on amps that, while not neutral, will suit my particular taste of being slightly mid-centric.  The WA5LE I'm using is the upgraded version, but with stock tubes.  Ibelieve the GS-X mk2 is very neutral as well.  I like those, but am willing ot consider other amps or sources/dacs if anyone has suggestions.

 

@joseph69  - thanks for your response.

 

Maybe you just might possibly enjoy a different headphone after hearing the Utopia with more hours on them?

 

No intention to insult anyone (to each his own) but nothing really impressed me about the Utopia. I also didn't find the mid-range to be exactly crystal clear either, and that was with my KTE Spring DAC/GS-X Mk2 which is a very transparent pairing. The Utopia sounded good, but to me, nothing like the impressions I've been reading.

 

EDIT:

If you want a crystal clear mid-range try the HD-800S paired with the GS-X Mk2 (cant speak for the WA5LE).

 

I found this pairing to be excellent. If it wasn't for me owning too many headphones

(for me) I would own the HD-800S, which could very well happen sometime anyway. Everything you've described above that you're looking for fits this pairing IMO.


Edited by joseph69 - 4/21/17 at 6:47am
post #3264 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Maybe you just might possibly enjoy a different headphone after hearing the Utopia with more hours on them?

No intention to insult anyone (to each his own) but nothing really impressed me about the Utopia. I also didn't find the mid-range to be exactly crystal clear either, and that was with my KTE Spring DAC/GS-X Mk2 which is a very transparent pairing. The Utopia sounded good, but to me, nothing like the impressions I've been reading.

EDIT:
If you want a crystal clear mid-range try the HD-800S paired with the GS-X Mk2 (cant speak for the WA5LE).

I found this pairing to be excellent. If it wasn't for me owning too many headphones
(for me) I would own the HD-800S, which could very well happen sometime anyway. Everything you've described above that you're looking for fits this pairing IMO.
We all like different speakers like we all like different headphones everyone is different, I use my trilogy with the utopia and it's a perfect match for me, crystal clear
post #3265 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2qute View Post

We all like different speakers like we all like different headphones everyone is different, I use my trilogy with the utopia and it's a perfect match for me, crystal clear

Yes, I agree with this which is why I said "to each his own".

We can't tell anyone to like something, we can only make suggestions.

post #3266 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Yes, I agree with this which is why I said "to each his own".
We can't tell anyone to like something, we can only make suggestions.
I think it's the kit that's used with the utopia that's the problem, they just an open window to whatever is connected to it, The trilogy is in my opinion the best headphone amp out there and the utopia shows what it can do,treble mid bass perfect
post #3267 of 3320

listening to "Why don't you do it" by Little Barrie on the Utopia's. This is a pretty fun track. Heard it from the tv show Better Call Saul. You know how you hear a song some where and say "man i bet that would sound good on headphones" I find the guitar very satisfying. If anyone has any tracks they are digging at the moment send me a pm. I always need new music

Reply
post #3268 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMECraig View Post

listening to "Why don't you do it" by Little Barrie on the Utopia's. This is a pretty fun track. Heard it from the tv show Better Call Saul. You know how you hear a song some where and say "man i bet that would sound good on headphones" I find the guitar very satisfying. If anyone has any tracks they are digging at the moment send me a pm. I always need new music
I'll have a listen to that mate see what I think, I'm the same need some new music
post #3269 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2qute View Post

I think it's the kit that's used with the utopia that's the problem, they just an open window to whatever is connected to it, The trilogy is in my opinion the best headphone amp out there and the utopia shows what it can do,treble mid bass perfect

I've never heard the Trilogy, but with the GS-X Mk2 there are no windows.

post #3270 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I've never heard the Trilogy, but with the GS-X Mk2 there are no windows.
I would put my life on it that the trilogy is in a different league,they concentrating on the Europe market which is madness, break America first
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion