Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC - Page 60

post #886 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
 

That's the thing about oversampling and delta-sigma switch DAC's. When you make the leap over to R2R Ladder you gain detail, clarity, sound stage, pronounced bass, realistic transients, instrument timbre, and decay. However that white noise that was once equipped to every aspect of sound is no longer there once you NOS it. There's no guessing, filters, switch noise, etc. What you end up with is something incredibly analog and reminds you of vinyl. Being able to go sharp but without fatigue. That's why NOS/R2R is so great. It's not just treble that can fatigue a person. When you switch over to the Spring you realize it's every sonic detail yet now it no longer feels force. It's so natural to the ears. It only gets better. I switched from the Spring to Pavane and gained a little more sweetness. 

 

Do give I2S a try. You'll bypass the receiver thus improving jitter and digital noise further.

Thank you for the reply. I am beginning to understand now what all the hype over R2R is all about.  I am exciting to try I2S and DSD.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I would like to hear your impressions between i2s (Singxer) and direct USB to the Spring.

 

I'm highly considering purchasing the Sonore microRendu/Uptone LPS-1 and going AoIP with JRiver because of course after I posted I had no noise issues with the USB connection, I started getting drop outs from time to time. I'm also going to revisit the SU1 as I feel I should have spent more time with it.

 

Does anyone here use JRiver>microRendu>SU1>Spring in their chain?

I dont have the exact configuration you are asking for but I did have an extended demo of the microrendu in my system:

 

Roon >HQP>microrendu (with LPS-1 power supply)>SU-1>DAC (Luxman)

 

The microrendu + LPS-1 was an immediate improvement over my low powered i3 powered pc acting as NAA for HQP.  I am not one for hyperbole when it comes to audio but the microrendu + LPS1 made the music sound so much more organic and involving.  I am sure the big improvement the microrendu gave had a lot to do with its better usb implementation than my el cheapo pc.  


Edited by Tboooe - Yesterday at 1:33 pm
post #887 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I would like to hear your impressions between i2s (Singxer) and direct USB to the Spring.

 

I'm highly considering purchasing the Sonore microRendu/Uptone LPS-1 and going AoIP with JRiver because of course after I posted I had no noise issues with the USB connection, I started getting drop outs from time to time. I'm also going to revisit the SU1 as I feel I should have spent more time with it.

 

Does anyone here use JRiver>microRendu>SU1>Spring in their chain?

 

I would totally use the microRendu if I knew how. I'm not knowledgeable on operating systems or apps on a SD. I'm guessing the point of it is low noise and simplicity compared to traditional computers however with a SU-1 the noise is already incredibly low. I'm sure there won't be too much of a difference if adding in a Sonore in between.

post #888 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
 

I would totally use the microRendu if I knew how. I'm not knowledgeable on operating systems or apps on a SD. I'm guessing the point of it is low noise and simplicity compared to traditional computers however with a SU-1 the noise is already incredibly low. I'm sure there won't be too much of a difference if adding in a Sonore in between.

I don't have any noise issues…I'm actually having 1 second drop outs at least 1 time every listening session over about 3hrs. When I used AoIP with my Perfectwave-ll I never had a drop outs, which is why I was considering going back to AoIP with the mR.

 

Also, as you mentioned, I was thinking using both the mR/SU1 would just make no sense?

The problem is, I can't remember if I had the drop out using the SU1 when I had it, but I probably didn't because I'm sure I would have mentioned it in a prior post.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboooe View Post
 

I dont have the exact configuration you are asking for but I did have an extended demo of the microrendu in my system:

 

Roon >HQP>microrendu (with LPS-1 power supply)>SU-1-DAC (Luxman)

 

The microrendu + LPS-1 was an immediate improvement over my low powered i3 powered pc acting as NAA for HQP.  I am not one for hyperbole when it comes to audio but the microrendu + LPS1 made the music sound so much more organic and involving.  I am sure the big improvement the microrendu gave had a lot to do with its better usb implementation than my el cheapo pc.  

Have you ever taken the mR out of the chain and just used the SU1?

If so, was there a noticeable SQ difference without the mR?

Also, is there a company that loans the mR for in home demos I can contact?

post #889 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
 

 

I would totally use the microRendu if I knew how. I'm not knowledgeable on operating systems or apps on a SD. I'm guessing the point of it is low noise and simplicity compared to traditional computers however with a SU-1 the noise is already incredibly low. I'm sure there won't be too much of a difference if adding in a Sonore in between.

Its pretty painless.  Connect the microrendu to your network, select which network player mode you want to use, make sure your software player sees the microrendu, press play!!  

post #890 of 896

The mR should still have benefits by using the SU-1. It's the galvanic isolation + clock that helps. Improved low noise for both units as compared to the more noisy computer + SU-1.

 

I use a gaming computer with 9 speed fans + SU-1 and compare it to a macbook pro + SU-1 and really can't tell the difference.

 

So the SD card holds the OS or the songs? The Ethernet cable plugs into the computers ethernet port for streaming?

post #891 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I don't have any noise issues…I'm actually having 1 second drop outs at least 1 time every listening session over about 3hrs. When I used AoIP with my Perfectwave-ll I never had a drop outs, which is why I was considering going back to AoIP with the mR.

 

Also, as you mentioned, I was thinking using both the mR/SU1 would just make no sense?

The problem is, I can't remember if I had the drop out using the SU1 when I had it, but I probably didn't because I'm sure I would have mentioned it in a prior post.

 

 

Have you ever taken the mR out of the chain and just used the SU1?

If so, was there a noticeable SQ difference without the mR?

Also, is there a company that loans the mR for in home demos I can contact?

The improvements I described in my previous post was using the microrendu before the SU-1.  There was a huge improvement over using my i3 PC into the SU-1.

 

There is no one I know that will loan out the microrendu.  I borrowed one from a friend.  

post #892 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
 

The mR should still have benefits by using the SU-1. It's the galvanic isolation + clock that helps. Improved low noise for both units as compared to the more noisy computer + SU-1.

 

I use a gaming computer with 9 speed fans + SU-1 and compare it to a macbook pro + SU-1 and really can't tell the difference.

 

So the SD card holds the OS or the songs? The Ethernet cable plugs into the computers ethernet port for streaming?


The ethernet cable plugs into your router.

 

EDITED


Edited by oneguy - Yesterday at 2:03 pm
post #893 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
 

The mR should still have benefits by using the SU-1. It's the galvanic isolation + clock that helps. Improved low noise for both units as compared to the more noisy computer + SU-1.

 

I use a gaming computer with 9 speed fans + SU-1 and compare it to a macbook pro + SU-1 and really can't tell the difference.

 

So the SD card holds the OS or the songs? The Ethernet cable plugs into the computers ethernet port for streaming?

The microrendu already has an OS on it.  You dont need to use the SD card for anything other than music.

 

The ethernet port of the microrendu would connect to your network (router/switch).  You can plug it directly in the pc that has the playback software but that will require networking skill and tweaking though it is doable.  There is a huge thread on CA talking about this direct connection.  I did it but its not for the faint of heart.


Edited by Tboooe - Yesterday at 1:55 pm
post #894 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
 

The mR should still have benefits by using the SU-1. It's the galvanic isolation + clock that helps. Improved low noise for both units as compared to the more noisy computer + SU-1.

 

I use a gaming computer with 9 speed fans + SU-1 and compare it to a macbook pro + SU-1 and really can't tell the difference.

 

So the SD card holds the OS or the songs? The Ethernet cable plugs into the computers ethernet port for streaming?

The SD card is formatted for 5 different configurations.

In my case using JRiver I would choose #3 (DLNA) then connect an Ethernet cable from my router to the mR, then connect either another Ethernet cable from my router to my MBP or use Wi-Fi from my MBP.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tboooe View Post
 

The improvements I described in my previous post was using the microrendu before the SU-1.  There was a huge improvement over using my i3 PC into the SU-1.

 

There is no one I know that will loan out the microrendu.  I borrowed one from a friend.  

Thank you very much for you clarification and impressions.


Edited by joseph69 - Yesterday at 2:11 pm
post #895 of 896

I've got a Level 3 Spring DAC incoming now for review (and Singxer a week or so later). Really curious to hear the R2R DAC...must say that Tim has been excellent to deal with and this DAC looks very promising!

post #896 of 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I've got a Level 3 Spring DAC incoming now for review (and Singxer a week or so later). Really curious to hear the R2R DAC...must say that Tim has been excellent to deal with and this DAC looks very promising!


Looking forward to reading your reviews!

:beerchug: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC