Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova - Page 234

post #3496 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decommo View Post
 

 

Yes, I heard ifi iEmatch but doesn't it change sound? Love to hear someone who has tested with IEMatch if it does not affect the sound but just get rid of hiss. 

 

Besides, interest to hear what amp Ken used to tune the andro... Maybe Alo RX? 

 

Only source that i could get hissless was iPhone actually. The rest of daps and amps create minor hiss and either make the sound slightly bassy (if output impedance is close to 0.5 ohm) or thin (over 2ohm) and quite hard to find ideal source/amp to pair with.


It does change the sound, that's the whole point of this device. You are changing the output impedance and andromeda is sensitive to output imp. changes. Higher output imp will result in leaner, brighter sound and lower impedance output 1< will result in warmer, bassier sound. Other than that, I don't think it affects the SQ any other way. I've heard that sony zx2 is a really nice pairing with andromeda and zx2 has 1.5 output imp, so you can use IEMatch to alter the output impedance for better match.


Edited by willowbrook - 1/14/17 at 6:10am
post #3497 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbrook View Post
 

It does change the sound, that's the whole point of this device. You are changing the output impedance and andromeda is sensitive to output imp. changes. Higher output imp will result in leaner, brighter sound and lower impedance output 1< will result in warmer, bassier sound. Other than that, I don't think it affects the SQ any other way.

 

Well noted .Thanks. :)  I will  give a go with iEMatch with 1ohm impedance selection.

post #3498 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decommo View Post
 

 

Well noted .Thanks. :)  I will  give a go with iEMatch with 1ohm impedance selection.


1 ohm should be perfect for you since 0.5 is too bassy and 2 is too thin sounding :)

post #3499 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbrook View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decommo View Post
 

 

Well noted .Thanks. :)  I will  give a go with iEMatch with 1ohm impedance selection.


1 ohm should be perfect for you since 0.5 is too bassy and 2 is too thin sounding :)

 

iEMatch behaves different across various multi BA iems.  I don't like using it with Zeus XRA or U12 since it attenuates upper frequencies, while it works very good with Andromeda where it's relatively transparent.  Tested it with both LPG and Opus#2, and with iEMatch Andros hissing nearly disappears while upper frequency details are still there.  The only thing with iEMatch, you have to remember to turn the volume down after unplugging it, otherwise you will get an earful surprise with the next pair of IEMs...

 

Btw, going back to Opus#2 where 2.5mm is 1 ohm and 3.5mm is 2 ohm, I hear a touch more bass from 3.5mm vs 2.5mm while volume matching by ear.

post #3500 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decommo View Post

Yes, I heard ifi iEmatch but doesn't it change sound? Love to hear someone who has tested with IEMatch if it does not affect the sound but just get rid of hiss. 

Besides, interest to hear what amp Ken used to tune the andro... Maybe Alo RX? 

Only source that i could get hissless was iPhone actually. The rest of daps and amps create minor hiss and either make the sound slightly bassy (if output impedance is close to 0.5 ohm) or thin (over 2ohm) and quite hard to find ideal source/amp to pair with.
The Plenue D is quite clean tried with Andro
post #3501 of 3781
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalo View Post


Ken, my understanding is that when silver oxidises it turns black, when a cable turns yellowish, it is more due to the PE jacket.

Yes, I dont see this when the jacket is Teflon or FEP.

ken

post #3502 of 3781
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decommo View Post
 

@KB Do you mind asking what amps you used when you tune sound of Andro? Love how Andro sounds and only downside is that it is quite hissy and hard to find good pairing due to hyper sensitivity.  If it is under 1ohm, it gets bassy and if it is over 2 ohm output impedance, it gets quite thin sounding..  :confused:

Decommo,

 

I use a lot of different DAPs with no amp as well as a iPhone 6, then also CV5 and CDM with a DAP, all these amps are less than 1 ohm. However I am spending a lot of time on SoundChecks diagnostic tools.

 

As far as your statement of "bassy" less than one ohm and "thin" more than 2 ohm, if thats the case then I think no IEM is going to satisfy you.

 

Ken

post #3503 of 3781
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB View Post

 

Decommo,

 

I use a lot of different DAPs with no amp as well as a iPhone 6, then also CV5 and CDM with a DAP, all these amps are less than 1 ohm. However I am spending a lot of time on SoundChecks diagnostic tools.

 

As far as your statement of "bassy" less than one ohm and "thin" more than 2 ohm, if thats the case then I think no IEM is going to satisfy you.

 

Ken

 

Hi Ken. Thank you very much for your response. Good to know that all of gears used are less than 1 ohm.

It is really nitpicking since I love Andro very much and it is my end game. :)

 

Two things that i noticed from Andro different to other IEMs that i have (ER4SR, T20i, IE800, Aurisonic Rockets),

 

1) Andro hiss quite a bit. Once music starts then it is unnoticeable but when there is a pause or music stops, it is quite hissy. No other IEMs that I have hiss like Andro. I think that it is because other IEMS are much lower sensitivity?? I guess that it is common with CIEM or TOTL IEMs that have higher sensitivity and it is why iFi IEmatch has created to solve this problem..

Correct me if I am wrong.

 

2) Andro changes the sound sig quite a bit depends on source. When I plug it with Fiio X3, M3 as well as HUM Pervasion, it sounds warmer and a bit bassier comparing with iPhone 5 & SE.

iPhone 5 & SE slightly brighter sound but more neutral to me.  With desktop amp with low gain, Meier Corda Concerto & Vali 2 sounds quite thin due to bass roll off.

My ear is not trained at all and I usually cannot tell the difference among different sources with other IEMs.... Andro makes me be able to tell difference among DAP, iPhone and Desktop Amp easily. I feel like I suddenly have super sonic ability  :)

 

Again, this is just my finding with untrained ears and others may find different.. 

 

Anyhow, I love Andro and enjoy listening music with it every day. :) 

post #3504 of 3781
Never notice any hiss on Andro on my X5II+E12A combo and my WM1A.

The only hiss i noticed is from the Audio files.

But anyway hiss is not a problem of the Andro but the source.
post #3505 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinblazin View Post

Never notice any hiss on Andro on my X5II+E12A combo and my WM1A.

The only hiss i noticed is from the Audio files.

But anyway hiss is not a problem of the Andro but the source.


I agree with blazinblazin in that hiss is not a problem of the Andro rather the source. I like that the hiss is picked up because it makes me more critical of the gear I'm using and tells me that the Andro hides nothing. The same goes for the music I listen too; the Andros just let me hear the music for what it is. No sugar coating or loss of detail. 

post #3506 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decommo View Post

Well noted .Thanks. smily_headphones1.gif  I will  give a go with iEMatch with 1ohm impedance selection.

for those that find the andros too bassy for their taste, but don't wish to spend more on an iemMatch, lossy foamies like shure's orange foamies help heaps, as well as shallow insertion. IME, silicone tips will make them bassier and brighter than as teamCampfire might have intended.
Edited by deafdoorknob - 1/15/17 at 1:30am
post #3507 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdoorknob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decommo View Post

Well noted .Thanks. smily_headphones1.gif  I will  give a go with iEMatch with 1ohm impedance selection.

for those that find the andros too bassy for their taste, but don't wish to spend more on an iemMatch, lossy foamies like shure's orange foamies help heaps, as well as shallow insertion and silicone tips will make them bassier and brighter than as teamCampfire might have intended.

Good point. I might try shure orange foam tips..
post #3508 of 3781

Ken, when can we expect Andromeda to come back in stock in Japan?

post #3509 of 3781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiAki View Post
 

Ken, when can we expect Andromeda to come back in stock in Japan?

According to the Campfire Webiste Andromeda is on stock, so I'm guessing soon?

 

https://www.campfireaudio.com/shop/andromeda/

post #3510 of 3781

My wallet is ready for the b-stock!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova