Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Supermono pics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Supermono pics - Page 2

post #16 of 146
Wow, impressive feature set. AC power, yaee! It does have replacable opamps right? (hopefully he didn't copy the nailpolish concept )

Will it have a clear indication of low battery/clipping - or do you just replace the batteries when you feel it might not sound as good anymore?
post #17 of 146
this reminds me - all you superdual owners, can you chime in and let us know how the dual stacks up to the SR-71 if you have both? I guess a month has gone by, enough time for burn in i hope. plus, if the dual is not up to a SR-71, but a mono is going to sound superior to the dual, this will give us a nice springboard for a comparo.
post #18 of 146
Wow, this looks way better than the toy-like superdual. Aluminum is so much more professional.

JV.
post #19 of 146
I did some more serious searching around, and this is what I came up with, correct me if I'm off-

Level 1 - Cmoy, Supermini, Go-vibe.

Level 2 - Pimeta, Superdual, Total Airhead 2004.

Level 3 - PPA, SR-71, Gilmore Lite.

I'm assuming a META42 is like a 1.5, and a Headsave Classic is like a 2.5 from what I've read. If the Supermono gets to the 3rd level of Nirvana at half the cost (I'm not planning on becoming a cross feed lover so that saves cash right there) then it has to get serious consideration.

BIG CAVEAT - of course this is purely subjective third-party ranking, take it all with a grain of salt. I'm just doing my homework before jumping into my amp upgrade.
post #20 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn
I did some more serious searching around, and this is what I came up with, correct me if I'm off-

Level 1 - Cmoy, Supermini, Go-vibe.

Level 2 - Pimeta, Superdual, Total Airhead 2004.

Level 3 - PPA, SR-71, Gilmore Lite.

I'm assuming a META42 is like a 1.5, and a Headsave Classic is like a 2.5 from what I've read. If the Supermono gets to the 3rd level of Nirvana at half the cost (I'm not planning on becoming a cross feed lover so that saves cash right there) then it has to get serious consideration.

BIG CAVEAT - of course this is purely subjective third-party ranking, take it all with a grain of salt. I'm just doing my homework before jumping into my amp upgrade.
The PPA and the Gilmore Lite are in a very different league compared to the SR-71 in size, roughly 2-3 times the size of the SR-71.. they are not 'portable' in the strictest of sense.. but they can be called 'transportable', in which case, you have to include the 'LaRocco Pocket Reference' and the 'Emmeline XP-7' to the level 3 list..
post #21 of 146
Is the supermono design concept similar to the PPA one (left, right, and ground channels) ?

What will it be supposed to be comparable to once it is completed? Would a PPA be too much?
post #22 of 146
This is getting exciting. The Supermono looks fantastic. I should be seeing it soon as well as a new Gilmore Lite. I need to procure a PPA and an SR-71 for my comparison. As soon as I hand in the revised version of my present chapter of my thesis I will have 100% of my time (aside from fam) to commit to this review.
post #23 of 146

Emmeline SR-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj
In fact, Xin is taking the design of the SR-71 and trying to solve its apparent shortcomings like the price, lack of AC power compatibility, bass boost (for those who need it), crossfeed (again, for those who need it), gain selector... etc.

I don't imply that the Supermono is inspired from the SR-71, but improvising a proven good concept is not bad..
Hi raaj...
I do not really understand the concept of what you call " to solve the shortcomings of the SR-71", I do not believe in bass boost at all, to me it is adding noise & not being faithful to the real signal, as to crossfeed, my believe is the same, if the amp is designed to be a pure MONO left & right channels, then why would I mix the two together, that for me is a NO NO.
As to AC compatible, I call the SR-71 portable. Remember, the SR-71 is designed & made in the great US of A.
Ray Samuels
post #24 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth
This is getting exciting. The Supermono looks fantastic. I should be seeing it soon as well as a new Gilmore Lite. I need to procure a PPA and an SR-71 for my comparison. As soon as I hand in the revised version of my present chapter of my thesis I will have 100% of my time (aside from fam) to commit to this review.
Well, let's get to that homework! Seriously, I'm very anxious to hear a review comparing a PPA, SR-71 and when it eventually arrives, the Mono. That would be fantastic. Needless to say, I'm a big fan of Rays work and it's going to take a great result from Xin to sway me. Just hope I can keep money in pocket until the mono arrives. My travel season is only a month away and I'm determined to have an amp for the travel rig by then so get crackin' on that thesis!
post #25 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth
This is getting exciting. The Supermono looks fantastic. I should be seeing it soon as well as a new Gilmore Lite. I need to procure a PPA and an SR-71 for my comparison. As soon as I hand in the revised version of my present chapter of my thesis I will have 100% of my time (aside from fam) to commit to this review.
Not to pressure you , but would it be a matter of days/weeks/months till you finish the chapter?

Thanks

(the fate of the universe is in your hands!)
post #26 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Remember, the SR-71 is designed & made in the great US of A.
Ray Samuels
But don't forget you have an international market!
post #27 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide
Not to pressure you , but would it be a matter of days/weeks/months till you finish the chapter?

Thanks

(the fate of the universe is in your hands!)
this Friday

Then I have a final on the 27th, and I should have the amps around this time...none have arrived just yet, but when they do, know that I will be staying up night after night listening
post #28 of 146
completly out of topic, what's the thesis about ?
post #29 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hi raaj...
Remember, the SR-71 is designed & made in the great US of A.
Ray Samuels
So is the Supermono, at least designed in the US. Xin is a rocket scientist in Berkley.

As for his production, I don't know if Xin has finalized whether his Supermonos will be built in China or in the US but certainly the country of original has little impact on the build and sound.

That said, it will be an incredibly fun time listening to all the amps and comparing. It has been far too long since I have sat myself down with the purpose of listening critically. Something to drive me to finish my semester off with a bang.
post #30 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hi raaj...
I do not really understand the concept of what you call " to solve the shortcomings of the SR-71", I do not believe in bass boost at all, to me it is adding noise & not being faithful to the real signal, as to crossfeed, my believe is the same, if the amp is designed to be a pure MONO left & right channels, then why would I mix the two together, that for me is a NO NO.
As to AC compatible, I call the SR-71 portable. Remember, the SR-71 is designed & made in the great US of A.
Ray Samuels
I don't think raaj meant shortcomings so much as features that some people enjoy. Some folks like crossfeed or bass boost, and for them, that means that the SR-71 would be missing a couple things that they like to have normally.

The SR-71 is like a high performance racing car, it doesn't have electronic stability control, a 300watt speaker system, or anything else that would be non-essential to a portable amp. The SR-71 does everything a portable amp should do, and it does it very well. The supermono apparantly just has the possibility for a couple extras that aren't necessarily essential to the basic premise of an amp, but some folks like it.

The only thing I'd like to see at all in either amp would be flush-mounted end panels with a radius on the edges, to make the amp more pocket-friendly (end panels that are the same size as the amp body and are rounded off for no sharp corners).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Supermono pics