or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 354
What good is this upgrade cable?

Was looking for one for my Z5 and was wondering if it was the kimber cable.
post #47 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityfang View Post
 

Hi, I really want to pick up a pair of these A3's to use.   I've been saving money for a set of H3's for a while but now since these are out I'm set to get them.  However, I was wondering if these IEM's can be used (or are good for) live stage monitoring.  I recently started playing in a band and am starting to use IEMs for monitoring.  I've been considering a Shure SE535 for both everyday listening as well as monitoring, but if the XBA A3's can monitor just as good, then I will get them.  Any thoughts?  I'm currently using SE215's for monitoring but am looking or a good upgrade for everything.

 

XBA-A3 is the worst monitoring headphone you can get lol. No isolation at all and it will fall out of your ear if you're moving around on stage. I use the SE215 with Sensaphonics Custom Shell for stage performances. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post

What good is this upgrade cable?

Was looking for one for my Z5 and was wondering if it was the kimber cable.

 

The cable is much better built and has 8-braid rather than the 4-braid. I haven't done any direct A/B comparisons (I didn't want to keeping detaching the fragile connectors) but many have noted that the High Performance Cable is a worthy upgrade.

 

It is not a Kimber Kable unfortunately.

post #48 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post

What good is this upgrade cable?

Was looking for one for my Z5 and was wondering if it was the kimber cable.


No is not kiber as i know, it's sony made, but sounds great that I like to spare the good things last and use first or eat the things i dont like first LOL

post #49 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityfang View Post
 

Hi, I really want to pick up a pair of these A3's to use.   I've been saving money for a set of H3's for a while but now since these are out I'm set to get them.  However, I was wondering if these IEM's can be used (or are good for) live stage monitoring.  I recently started playing in a band and am starting to use IEMs for monitoring.  I've been considering a Shure SE535 for both everyday listening as well as monitoring, but if the XBA A3's can monitor just as good, then I will get them.  Any thoughts?  I'm currently using SE215's for monitoring but am looking or a good upgrade for everything.


As @cuiter23 said these IEMS (XBA-A3 and H3) are more suited for in-home listening rather than for staging... I  use mine as my portable setup and the office environment sometimes leak, fortunately the office premises aren't that noisy,  only when coworkers are a bit unruly :P

post #50 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNF005 View Post
 

but the PHA-1A is still way out of my budget.

to be honest, the A3 has been selling pretty bad in Hong Kong, they take the price to about 230 USD, which i consider affordable. but man i can't really spend 300 USD on an dac amp to assist a 230 USD headphone.

 

It is not the headphones price VS the amp price... in reality the MSRP of the A3 is 360 USD... i got mine for 295 a few months back, i do agree with you on these sadly being "underperformers" in terms of sales it's a big shame people like those stupid b headphones....

 

I had a $300 Oppo HA-2, and to be quite frank (my ears so take it as a grain of salt) i couldn't distinguish any changes using the HA-2 via walkman LOD or using my walkman Headphone socket non-chained.... The XBA-H3 in contrast yeah these had a quite noticieable sonoc changes when being used with my ex-HA-2 bass seemed more controlled and the sounds less boomy and less metallic (bathrrom-like) reverb. so after hearing no improvement on the A3's signature decided to sell the HA-2 (to buy a ZX series walkman)

post #51 of 354
Thanks for the fast and insightful input! Is the sound signature of the A3's vastly different than then a SE535? And if so how is it different? From what I've read 535's are very rich sounding with excellent mid presence and highs. Would they be considered a step above the A3's in audio fidelity since they are still 100-200 dollars more expensive? Everything I've read and heard so far about the A3's are exactly what I want in my new portable dailiy iem. I wish it could double for stage monitoring, but it's okay if they have really good resolution.
post #52 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityfang View Post

Thanks for the fast and insightful input! Is the sound signature of the A3's vastly different than then a SE535? And if so how is it different? From what I've read 535's are very rich sounding with excellent mid presence and highs. Would they be considered a step above the A3's in audio fidelity since they are still 100-200 dollars more expensive? Everything I've read and heard so far about the A3's are exactly what I want in my new portable dailiy iem. I wish it could double for stage monitoring, but it's okay if they have really good resolution.


I think you don't get it, let your ears be with you (like the force in starwars).. there can be things that are cheap and sound like expensive stuff as there can be expensive stuff that sounds not as promised or have quality issues

 

One prime example would be a BMW my dad had (expensive car) gave him yroubles with overly excessive oil comsumption so he ended selling it two years later and ended buying a cheap VW Jetta and never gave him trouble

 

or the XBA-H3 for me they were too expensive for their performance, and i think these XBA-A3 should have costed more than 360 suggested retail price


Edited by gerelmx1986 - 1/4/16 at 1:22pm
post #53 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerelmx1986 View Post


I think you don't get it, let your ears be with you (like the force in starwars).. there can be things that are cheap and sound like expensive stuff as there can be expensive stuff that sounds not as promised or have quality issues

One prime example would be a BMW my dad had (expensive car) gave him yroubles with overly excessive oil comsumption so he ended selling it two years later and ended buying a cheap VW Jetta and never gave him trouble

or the XBA-H3 for me they were too expensive for their performance, and i think these XBA-A3 should have costed more than 360 suggested retail price

I guess I was just wondering what the differences were because I'm considering both the A3 and 535. Price matters to me because there is a noticeable difference in price and I'm trying to see if it is justified. If the Sony and shure just sound different and aren't necessarily better over each, then I'll go with the Sony because from what I've read I like it's sound signature more and it is cheaper. I like the analogy you made. Having not tried either earphone, I am in need of assistance on which one is really worth my time and money. Thanks again for your response!
post #54 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityfang View Post


I guess I was just wondering what the differences were because I'm considering both the A3 and 535. Price matters to me because there is a noticeable difference in price and I'm trying to see if it is justified. If the Sony and shure just sound different and aren't necessarily better over each, then I'll go with the Sony because from what I've read I like it's sound signature more and it is cheaper. I like the analogy you made. Having not tried either earphone, I am in need of assistance on which one is really worth my time and money. Thanks again for your response!

 

I've owned all the SE models except the 846. The A3 >> 535. No competition here

post #55 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mityfang View Post
I guess I was just wondering what the differences were because I'm considering both the A3 and 535. Price matters to me because there is a noticeable difference in price and I'm trying to see if it is justified. If the Sony and shure just sound different and aren't necessarily better over each, then I'll go with the Sony because from what I've read I like it's sound signature more and it is cheaper. I like the analogy you made. Having not tried either earphone, I am in need of assistance on which one is really worth my time and money. Thanks again for your response!

For what you say about the shures (tho i've never owned shure prods up to now) it sounds just like my XBA-A3 very nice mids presence and as well nice high extension, and deep bass but not overpowering like the H3's did

post #56 of 354

Alright.  Thanks for all the input.  I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my questions!  I'll order a set of A3 this week! :D.  Then I'll probably get an Se215 for  monitoring.

post #57 of 354
Can anyone please tell me if/how the sound changes with burn-in? Also are these a deep or shallow insertion? I am in Japan and have had the pleasure of spending an afternoon trying out many iems I've only read about - the xba-a3 are the ones that made me smile the most. All the demo ones have been modified/secured so people don't steal them, so it's difficult to know how they will actually sit.
post #58 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNF005 View Post
 

but the PHA-1A is still way out of my budget.

to be honest, the A3 has been selling pretty bad in Hong Kong, they take the price to about 230 USD, which i consider affordable. but man i can't really spend 300 USD on an dac amp to assist a 230 USD headphone.

im currently looking for about 200 USD budget and i saw there's a jp ver. of the onkyo DAC-HA200 sells for 196 USD on amazon which ship freely to HK, thats why i ask for this amp specifically.

are there any dac amp you guys would consider great with the A3 and still within the 200 USD budget?

 

At about 200USD, I would recommend the Cayin C5 Dac/Amp for better Transparency, soundstage and extra bass.


Edited by Meth - 1/4/16 at 9:05pm
post #59 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninnzorjp View Post

Can anyone please tell me if/how the sound changes with burn-in? Also are these a deep or shallow insertion? I am in Japan and have had the pleasure of spending an afternoon trying out many iems I've only read about - the xba-a3 are the ones that made me smile the most. All the demo ones have been modified/secured so people don't steal them, so it's difficult to know how they will actually sit.

Not sure about burn in yet, but they are shallow insertion.
post #60 of 354

Giving this thread some love. Had the H3, sold it bcos the bass bled too much into the mids. Otherwise I loved the treble tweeters and overall sound. Read that the A3 fixed all that but was overshadowed by the dark monster Z5 lol. Sony outlets also reluctant to let me test them unless I was set to buy them. Ah well... maybe I'll get one of this someday when the price is right. Glad to see the A3 get some recognition. Shoutout to all those who own and love them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread