Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.5.8 ** link . . 1st page . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.5.8 ** link . . 1st page . . . - Page 48

post #706 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalaudio View Post
 

 

There seems to be a glitch that causes a large DC offset in certain circumstances. Not all the time.

A shift of this magnitude is quite thumping on the ears, as you can see by the comparison with the audio signal.

The offset is not due to the music, as it settles down to zero after a couple of seconds.

 

The plots are just a signal sweep at 100mV/div 1 second/div during playback.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for explaining. I can't speak for my unit exhibiting that behaviour. I'm using 11ohm Fidue A83 full-time with DX80 mostly late at night. I will keep listening for it but I cannot catch it or detect anything trying to replicate it as yet. My transitions between changing tracks are smooth. I was actually wondering what everyone meant.

 

I use: 

 

11ohm Fidue A83

Gapless On

Play order is normal

16/44 FLAC.

post #707 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalaudio View Post

There seems to be a glitch that causes a large DC offset in certain circumstances. Not all the time.
A shift of this magnitude is quite thumping on the ears, as you can see by the comparison with the audio signal.
The offset is not due to the music, as it settles down to zero after a couple of seconds.

The plots are just a signal sweep at 100mV/div 1 second/div during playback.






Actually, I think I can hear it, really really briefly just as I change back tracks sometimes. But honestly, unless you told me (explained) I'd never of known. That's how quite it is to me. I thought you were talking about a moderately loud thump or like Colorfly C3 which quite audibly 'pops' between tracks.
post #708 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Actually, I think I can hear it, really really briefly just as I change back tracks sometimes. But honestly, unless you told me (explained) I'd never of known. That's how quite it is to me. I thought you were talking about a moderately loud thump or like Colorfly C3 which quite audibly 'pops' between tracks.

 

Yes. It's not a big concern for me either, but I wanted to know about it, because a few people do report it as an annoyance.

 

It's one of these things that I've seen many brands put considerable amount of effort to eliminate because it gets featured detrimentally.

I remember iFi and Chord spending ages trying to resolve the pop noise glitch on DoP playback, which they eventually did with firmware updates. 

post #709 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalaudio View Post
 

 

Yes. It's not a big concern for me either, but I wanted to know about it, because a few people do report it as an annoyance.

 

It's one of these things that I've seen many brands put considerable amount of effort to eliminate because it gets featured detrimentally.

I remember iFi and Chord spending ages trying to resolve the pop noise glitch on DoP playback, which they eventually did with firmware updates. 

 

I'm glad you agree its not a major annoyance because I don't think its really a concern either, plus it makes me feel better you don't all think I'm partially deaf. :tongue:. That's the problem when we can't quantify or place a percentage on something written in words in a forum. Now I just need to try not listening for it (which is now happening).

post #710 of 6226

quick stupid question..

 

what is the differentials of auto power off and sleep timer?

 

tricky part, if i use DX80 as DAC connect to comp with power off or sleep timer on,

Is the auto power off or sleep timer suppose still active?

 

Mine always off according the timer i set it up.

post #711 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignandi View Post
 

quick stupid question..

 

what is the differentials of auto power off and sleep timer?

 

tricky part, if i use DX80 as DAC connect to comp with power off or sleep timer on,

Is the auto power off or sleep timer suppose still active?

 

Mine always off according the timer i set it up.

 

Auto power off means the DX80 shuts down if no music is playing for that period (kind of like a battery saver).

 

Sleep means the system will shut down regardless of whether the music is playing or not.

 

However, there is currently a bug where the auto power off WILL shut down the DX80 during music playback if you are using it as a USB DAC, so it's effectively acting as a sleep timer.

post #712 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalaudio View Post
 

 

There seems to be a glitch that causes a large DC offset in certain circumstances.

Have you measured it at the phone/line out? Then it means iBasso tried to eliminate coupling capacitors!

post #713 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker0 View Post
 

Have you measured it at the phone/line out? Then it means iBasso tried to eliminate coupling capacitors!

 

No those were at the headphone out, but the line output has just as much offset in those circumstances, as shown below.

 

No they don't have a conservative DC decoupling in place. It's not cool these days, and will probably lose some of the goodness of DX80's wide spacious bass sound. It's often a headache of amp builders to solve this in a smart way.

 

Anyhow, the line out has 100 ohm output impedance which could attenuate the thump somewhat, but you will connect it to a high impedance RCA input (like 10k ohm), not a pair of 16 ohm headphones, so the thump will be unavoidable.

 

Best to just take it at face value, since the problem is only at the start and finish, and enjoy the sound of DX80 with it's awesome bass without limits.

 

post #714 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiChris View Post
 

 

Well, it also depends on how sensitive to hiss someone is - I am pretty sensitive, others aren't. I know people who don't hear any hiss with the same source, IEMs and volume, whereas others do.
Btw, I don't want to stretch that hiss topic, my perception is just that it is about on the same level as the HiFiMe 9018d, Shanling M2 and BlackBerry Q10. Still, the DX80 I have here has got a much lower amount of hiss than the DX50 I used to own, so if you are generally not as hiss-sensitive as me, don't have über-sensitive in-ears and didn't hear any note-worthy hiss with the DX50, chances are high that you won't either with the DX80.

 

Very bad for me to hear there is hiss with the Shure Se846...two days ago i pulled the trigger and ordered the DX80 just to use it with my Shure SE846 and the order has been already posted..:triportsad:

post #715 of 6226

Do you hear any hiss with the SE846 being connected to the FiiO E10 or MacBook Pro? If not, chances are high that the DX80 won't have any/much hiss for you either.

I am quite hiss-sensitive, it doesn't mean everybody is (experience has shown that different people perceive hiss differently from the same source and in-ears).

post #716 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiChris View Post
 

Do you hear any hiss with the SE846 being connected to the FiiO E10 or MacBook Pro? If not, chances are high that the DX80 won't have any/much hiss for you either.

I am quite hiss-sensitive, it doesn't mean everybody is (experience has shown that different people perceive hiss differently from the same source and in-ears).


I'm just using the SE846 out of an iPhone 6 and iPod touch last gen and the Shure don't have any hiss with them (but as far as i know the iDevices are known to not have any hiss).I've also tried them with a beyer a200p and fiio 12a and no hiss. I didn't try them with my macbook and with the E10. I hope i will no regret i chose the Dx80 over the AK 100 II :rolleyes: 


Edited by HarlanDraka81 - 11/25/15 at 3:53am
post #717 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalaudio View Post
 

 

Auto power off means the DX80 shuts down if no music is playing for that period (kind of like a battery saver).

 

Sleep means the system will shut down regardless of whether the music is playing or not.

 

However, there is currently a bug where the auto power off WILL shut down the DX80 during music playback if you are using it as a USB DAC, so it's effectively acting as a sleep timer.

 

Thanks for the info.

The bug was confusing me between this 2 functions. 

post #718 of 6226

Soooooo, finally, it arrived. 

The BIG WAIT has ended. :beerchug:

 

I'll give you a short impression on sound and operability for now. 

 

The DX80 came with v1.1.2 installed. I had bought a Sandisk Ultra class10 16Gb microSD. It was formatted out-of-the-box in FAT32 and i placed the v1.1.4 firmware on it with my Mac.

Inserted it in the second slot (furthest away form screen) and started it with volume up and power pressed simultaneously. 

Updating went without a hitch (up/down = volume control, enter = power button ). Took 1 a 2 min.

Factory reset after restarting.

Inserted my Sandisk Ultra class 10 128Gb, format unknown,  with flac 16/44 en 24/96 and maybe somewhere still a lost mp3track. It scanned fast (1000 flac in 3 min or so). No issues. Great!

 

I paired it up with my RHA MA750 iem's and started listening. 

When i select a track, i see a quick scan happening, under 1 sec. and then it plays. I saw this behaviour the first 4 or 5 tracks i choose but after that i didn't see the quick scan anymore? I browse through the directories to different artists.

 

On startup the GUI takes about 5-7 sec to respond but after that its quick and responsive. 

 

No hiss for me. At least, not from the DX80. I have a slight hearing impairment already, so my ears always hiss a little bit. 

 

Thumb / Blobb:  Boy, was  i worried about this. I was afraid it would be something like the discharge on the DX50 when i power up. Nothing like that, luckily! I hardly even notice it. It isn't even a sound on my MA750, more like a feeling, like a feather touching your eardrum, it's that low. I really have to focus to notice it. I guess its a bit dependent on the listening gear you use (and how damaged your hearing already is), but i find it totally unobtrusive. This won't take away my pleasure with the DX80 at all.

 

Sound (only 8 tracks listened so far)

Lorde - Buzzcut season 24/96

Kruder und Dorffmeister  Hifi ging under 16/44

Corinne Bailey Rae  Enchantment 16/44

Pantera  This love  16/44

Air    All i need  16/44

Chet Faker  To me 16/44

Kings of Leon The Immortals 16/44

London Grammar   Nightcall 24/96

 

Coming from the DX50 SU1.1.3 flac-only i can say the soundstage is wider, has more depth, bass is more present/punchy/textured and lower.  There is way more air between the instruments. The mids do seem a little 'colder'  then on the DX50, but with more detail, so maybe a little more edge to it. The highs also have more detail, seem to extend further and maybe a tiny bit harsh. 

But this is without any burn in. It is the first 20 min of its DAP life!   Burn-in will supposedly settle the bass and treble so we'll see. 

 

And the way im feeling now, it's DAP life gonna be extended BIGTIME, by me!

 

I have to send the DX50 back now, but i will try to make some comparisons before.

BTW: great service of hdphns.com by sending me the replacement even before i returned the DX50 (under warranty) !! Not a day without music. Thats great!

post #719 of 6226

Can anyone make some definitive statements about the amp quality in the DX80 especially in regard to driving full-size cans?? 

 

I have read through both of the threads on the DX80 and most of the sound quality comments seem to center around the DAC chip.  Also iBasso doesn't seem to publish the level of specifications that for example, Fiio does on its products.

I am looking to upgrade my original Fiio X3 this Christmas and am looking for better sound, a quicker and more intuitive UI and nicer aesthetics.  Android connectivity is unnecessary to me and not something I want to pay for therefore the Fiio X7 or new Onkyo player do not appeal to me over the DX80 unless they have better amplifier sections.   My Oppo PM-3 and AKG k7xx  sound pretty good straight from my X3 but obviously, I would like a little better with my new purchase and still keep to a one box music player/amplifier solution.

post #720 of 6226
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-roy View Post

Can anyone make some definitive statements about the amp quality in the DX80 especially in regard to driving full-size cans?? 

I have read through both of the threads on the DX80 and most of the sound quality comments seem to center around the DAC chip.  Also iBasso doesn't seem to publish the level of specifications that for example, Fiio does on its products.
I am looking to upgrade my original Fiio X3 this Christmas and am looking for better sound, a quicker and more intuitive UI and nicer aesthetics.  Android connectivity is unnecessary to me and not something I want to pay for therefore the Fiio X7 or new Onkyo player do not appeal to me over the DX80 unless they have better amplifier sections.   My Oppo PM-3 and AKG k7xx  sound pretty good straight from my X3 but obviously, I would like a little better with my new purchase and still keep to a one box music player/amplifier solution.

SQ and UI are a huge improvement over the Fiio x3. The Dx80 drives my B&W P7's effortlessly but they are pretty easy to drive....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.5.8 ** link . . 1st page . . .