or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-4 - Page 62

post #916 of 5123

Not ironic at all. Proves my point as far as I am concerned. The OP implicitly suggested that all Audez'e are heavier. They are not. The 4 may be, but that hardly makes the Abyss a lightweight. Let's just all be transparent here. 


Edited by Pale Rider - 10/16/15 at 3:52pm
post #917 of 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapanak View Post

Quote:Originally Posted by Pale Rider One word: Abyss. Ironic you say that, since the LCD-4 is even heavier than the Abyss, which weights 20 grams less (not significant, but still proves my point). And of course, Abyss is as boutique as they come. Compare to Hifiman, MrSpeakers and Fostex offerings, Audeze products are significantly heavier.

The HE-6 is over 500 grams. Not significantly lighter than the LCD lineup.

I believe the Kennerton Odin is also as heavy as the LCD.
Edited by bfreedma - 10/16/15 at 3:56pm
post #918 of 5123

I will shortly have the Audez'e and the Abyss to compare side-by-side, along with the Stax SR-009 and my old HD800. Should be interesting. None of these are lightweights. Suggesting that a few grams either way makes a difference seems silly to me.


Edited by Pale Rider - 10/16/15 at 3:55pm
post #919 of 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post


The HE-6 is over 500 grams. Not significantly lighter than the LCD lineup.


 502g. The headband and the earpad make the wearing of HE6 fairly awkward.

post #920 of 5123
I find the HE6 much more comfortable than the LCD range, even without things like Lohb's suspension band. While the HE6 might not be much less in grams, there is a physiological tipping point when it comes to loading the neck and for me the HE6 is beneath it and the LCD range is not. Presumably the headband plays a part here, and while I wouldn't give the HE6 headband any awards for comfort it obviously works better with my head than the Audeze.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 10/16/15 at 4:05pm
post #921 of 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

I find the HE6 much more comfortable than the LCD range, even without things like Lohb's suspension band. While the HE6 might not be much less in grams, there is a physiological tipping point when it comes to loading the neck and for me the HE6 is beneath it and the LCD range is not.

No problem, fit is always personal. The OP made an objective statement about weight and Audeze being the only planar manufacturer with headphones at or near that weight. That was pointed out to be inaccurate with three examples of planar headphone over 500g identified from other manufacturers.
Edited by bfreedma - 10/16/15 at 4:11pm
post #922 of 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

No problem, fit is always personal. The OP made an objective statement about weight and Audeze being the only planar manufacturer with headphones at or near that weight. That was pointed out to be inaccurate with three examples of planar headphone over 500g identified from other manufacturers.

True, but then look at planars made in the last couple of years and the strides they've made in terms of weight and comfort. The LCD-4 is pretty anomalous compared to its current-gen brethren. There is clearly a lot of recycling going on here with design, I don't know that you can reasonably assert that Audeze shouldn't have done more for comfort.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 10/16/15 at 4:55pm
post #923 of 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

No problem, fit is always personal. The OP made an objective statement about weight and Audeze being the only planar manufacturer with headphones at or near that weight. That was pointed out to be inaccurate with three examples of planar headphone over 500g identified from other manufacturers.

True, but then look at planars made in the last couple of years and the strides they've made in terms of weight and comfort. The LCD-4 is pretty anomalous compared to its current-gen brethren.

The Abyss and Odin are current generation.

I wouldn't mind seeing Audeze make lighter headphones down the line if they can do it without sacrificing what I like in their sound signature but again, was simply responding to a statement about weight and Audeze being the only planar in this "weight class"
post #924 of 5123
The Abyss is more than two years old, in the last couple of years everything outside of Audeze range is much lighter (with the recent exception of the Odin, but then the Odin isn't their sixth iteration on a planar magnetic headphone design like the 4 is for Audeze).

I do understand the context your post was in relation to.

I'm only responding because I just don't think Audeze position here is that defensible, and other heavy planars do not negate that.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 10/16/15 at 5:05pm
post #925 of 5123
Audeze insider might let us know why they went down this path.

I think this more than a blind dogmatic upgrade and they bought a bigger drill for a bigger block of wood.. LCD X..EL8..

If it is just boutique, I'd use 500 year old bog-wood with a platinum ring..

It does follow a design mantra but how do you upgrade a rolls-royce and still keep it as a the same car.. A bit more than a badge..

What would you do?

And thanks for making me think u lot
post #926 of 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
 

I will shortly have the Audez'e and the Abyss to compare side-by-side, along with the Stax SR-009 and my old HD800. Should be interesting. None of these are lightweights. Suggesting that a few grams either way makes a difference seems silly to me.

Do you have a date by any chance for when yours arrive?

post #927 of 5123
Mine should arrive by the 23rd.
post #928 of 5123


Nice!

post #929 of 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanois View Post

Mine should arrive by the 23rd.

When did you place your order?
post #930 of 5123
Sept 30th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum