Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page) - Page 24

post #346 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

I never seen a neater job!
You have excellent modding skills!
We will need to use them for first page!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Maxx! Really appreciate it smily_headphones1.gif
post #347 of 2215

Time for some sonic impressions.

 

First off I just like to thank Redge and Maxx for making this thread and all the extensive testing they have done, amazing work guys!

 

So, how does it sound? Basic sound signature is the same as before as I already had the Mundorf S/G/O ,68uf coupling caps and power resistor mod done a few months back. BUT the improvement in SQ is still as dramatic with these extra mods in place as it was when first upgrading coupling caps! Yet another layer of "dirt" has come off and lets the music shine.

The first thing I noticed was the SPEED! It's fast and accurate, which is very nice. Huge improvement there. Details were great before but are even greater now. Very nice and sweet mid range.

 

At first I thought the bass was lacking, BUT after a while of listening I realized the bass were actually better than before, much more accurate and detailed with huge impact and slam! I guess the bass must have been a little "muddy" before, that's why I thought it was lacking now, but I just had to get used to the new IMPROVED sound! 

 

There're also other things that has improved...

Background is a lot darker. It's not pitch black (we are still using tubes after all), but very quiet. I also had this annoying noise when changing volume before. It could only be heard when no music was playing, but still quite annoying. That is now completely gone! I thought the noise had to do with the pot. As I haven't touched the pot, I was clearly wrong. I'm using the same sets of tubes I used before doing these mods, Mullard ECC35's and GEC A1834's.

 

It's still early impressions though, I've only listened a few hours. So things might change with more burnin :)

 

One more thing:

I don't have a new pic of this but, if you're doing the compact mod and are using external fans it's a good idea to use grills between the fan and case, to prevent any cap vs fanblade action.

 

Here's how I had my fans before. I have now installed fan filters with grills in between case panel and fans.

post #348 of 2215

Very interesting! That's a little surprising that the bass impact was not immediately apparent with your .68uF Mundorfs and PSU mods however the fact that it sounds cleaner would be in accord with a better signal reproduction getting rid of bass boom which I'm all in favour of. Bass is the only area I find that needs slight improvement with the stock LD. I have a feeling if I remember right that every Mullard I have heard is slightly lacking on bass but where they are good is mid range so you might find different tubes are in order possibly.

 

Also the speed...... well the LD was already good on that!

 

It would be interesting with a mix of caps such as I'm thinking of to see how that affects sound, you've obviously got Mundorf ++ sound now.

 

Re: the fans were you getting some sort of interference then?


Edited by baronbeehive - 11/6/15 at 6:20am
post #349 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronbeehive View Post
 

Very interesting! That's a little surprising that the bass impact was not immediately apparent with your .68uF Mundorfs and PSU mods however the fact that it sounds cleaner would be in accord with a better signal reproduction getting rid of bass boom which I'm all in favour of. Bass is the only area I find that needs slight improvement with the stock LD. I have a feeling if I remember right that every Mullard I have heard is slightly lacking on bass but where they are good is mid range so you might find different tubes are in order possibly.

 

Also the speed...... well the LD was already good on that!

 

It would be interesting with a mix of caps such as I'm thinking of to see how that affects sound, you've obviously got Mundorf ++ sound now.

 

Re: the fans were you getting some sort of interference then?

Then you and I have completely different opinions on the Mullard ECC32/33/35's. Granted I'm using 35's at the moment and the 32's and 33's do have more sub-bass, but the 35's are not lacking in bass IMO. And like I said, I had to get used to the better bass sound! :)
I've not heard a better tube than the Mullards. But it's personal preference of course.

 

Quote:
Also the speed...... well the LD was already good on that!

Not if you compare it to my unit...;)

 

Quote:
Re: the fans were you getting some sort of interference then?

No, the grills are to prevent any caps from touching the fan blades. Don't get me wrong, my caps are secure, this is just for peace of mind. I realize that the fan frame acts like a grill but it doesn't cover the blades completely. 

post #350 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by -MisterX- View Post
 

Then you and I have completely different opinions on the Mullard ECC32/33/35's. Granted I'm using 35's at the moment and the 32's and 33's do have more sub-bass, but the 35's are not lacking in bass IMO. And like I said, I had to get used to the better bass sound! :)
I've not heard a better tube than the Mullards. But it's personal preference of course.

 

.......

 

OK, the mullards I've heard were admittedly on my other amp but I did love the mid range aspect and the tubeyness.


Edited by baronbeehive - 11/6/15 at 8:02am
post #351 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronbeehive View Post

OK, the mullards I've heard were admittedly on my other amp but I did love the mid range aspect and the tubeyness.

Ok, but what tubes are you talking about then? I'm sure that not all tube types made by Mullard sounds the same...
post #352 of 2215

I'm also surprised you didn't notice a huge upgrade in bass quality from the psu mods. My bass quality jumped literally 5-10 fold, it was like a different beast.

Then again, I also added a 150uf mkp cap to the driver decoupling at the same time, maybe that had something to do with it. Or it could have something to do with the fact my psu mod consists of those industrial AVX caps, you can't really buy caps with better specs than those that I've seen unless you're nasa.

 

Did anyone else notice a similar bass quality increase when upgrading the PSU or driver decoupling?

post #353 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinmaster View Post
 

I'm also surprised you didn't notice a huge upgrade in bass quality from the psu mods. My bass quality jumped literally 5-10 fold, it was like a different beast.

Then again, I also added a 150uf mkp cap to the driver decoupling at the same time, maybe that had something to do with it. Or it could have something to do with the fact my psu mod consists of those industrial AVX caps, you can't really buy caps with better specs than those that I've seen unless you're nasa.

 

Did anyone else notice a similar bass quality increase when upgrading the PSU or driver decoupling?

 

To quote myself...

 

Quote:
BUT after a while of listening I realized the bass were actually better than before, much more accurate and detailed with huge impact and slam!
post #354 of 2215

Well my point being that when I upgraded, it was immediately noticeable, I wasn't exaggerating about the 5-10 fold increase in bass.

You mentioned at first you thought the bass was lacking, there's no way you could have made that mistake if the bass increase was to the same level as mine.

Sure the overall sound was better, but the bass change completely.


Edited by coinmaster - 11/6/15 at 8:48am
post #355 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by -MisterX- View Post


Ok, but what tubes are you talking about then? I'm sure that not all tube types made by Mullard sounds the same...

 

EL84 and ECC83. I've tried them on my Miniwatt. I'm sure they don't sound the same but they do have a characteristic sound though which distinguishes them from other makes. I haven't tried them on the LD because in the tube rolling thread the ones I saw were not particularly rated but those may not have been the ECC32/33/35's which I'm quite interested in now because of what you say.

 

Edit: I remember now the mullards I saw in the tube rolling thread not rated were the power tubes

 

But the improvemenet in speed you mention, that is fantastic and that's what I already love on the stock amp, the LD's are not slow, sloppy wet old style tube amps at all!

 

And the improvement over and above the original caps upgrade makes this upgrade really seem worthwhile......... how much better can it get:ksc75smile:


Edited by baronbeehive - 11/6/15 at 9:39am
post #356 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronbeehive View Post
 

 

EL84 and ECC83. I've tried them on my Miniwatt. I'm sure they don't sound the same but they do have a characteristic sound though which distinguishes them from other makes. I haven't tried them on the LD because in the tube rolling thread the ones I saw were not particularly rated but those may not have been the ECC32/33/35's which I'm quite interested in now because of what you say.

Yes, the sound characteristics can very well be the same. I have not heard the EL84's or ECC83's though. 

 

I can recommend the ECC32/33/35's. I did a comparison in the other MK6/8 thread. Bare in mind the ECC32's draws almost 1A of heater current...

post #357 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by -MisterX- View Post
 

Yes, the sound characteristics can very well be the same. I have not heard the EL84's or ECC83's though.

 

I can recommend the ECC32/33/35's. I did a comparison in the other MK6/8 thread. Bare in mind the ECC32's draws almost 1A of heater current...

 

Yes I remember your review and your good rating of them.

 

BTW what are you doing on this thread........... you should be listening to the results of your hard labour:L3000:


Edited by baronbeehive - 11/6/15 at 9:08am
post #358 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronbeehive View Post
 

 

Yes I remember your review and your good rating of them.

 

BTW what are you doing on this thread........... you should be listening to the results of your hard labour:L3000:

I'm multitasking baby, listening as I type:tongue:

 

Just so there's no more confusion...

I'm very happy with the sound, including the bass, lol. It's really mind blowing!:) 

post #359 of 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by -MisterX- View Post
 

I'm multitasking baby, listening as I type:tongue:

 

Just so there's no more confusion...

I'm very happy with the sound, including the bass, lol. It's really mind blowing!:)

 

Thanks.......that's what we wanted!!!

post #360 of 2215

It's been months since I've been able to listen :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first page)