Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best open cans for classical, sub-$400
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best open cans for classical, sub-$400

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

I recently moved and now have an office, which is an excuse to get myself a good pair of open cans. I primarily listen to classical, everything from solo piano to raucous Mahler symphonies. At work I listen to closed DT 770s, which I enjoy, and I also enjoy my Fischer DBA-02 IEMs.

 

I thought I liked neutral until I tried Fischer FA--003s or whatever they're called, and then tried the Beyers, which I loved. I'm strongly tempted by the 880s pros. I'm also looking at the HD-598, which seem to win the 'best value' award given the price (about $150, compared to about $275 for the DT 880s).

 

Which of the two is better? Is the extra money worth it for the Beyers? Are there any other cans I should be looking at, like the 701s?

 

At the moment I only have my laptop but am planning on ponying up either for a amp or an actual stereo system (ie. receiver + amp).

 

Thanks

post #2 of 31

honestly, I'd go with the Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm. I enjoyed it over the DT 880 for classical. As far as amps go, you can get a Berinhger UAC 202 [$30 dac sounds, listening to it now actually an really it's a steal] a a Schiit Vali Amp [tube sounds nice with the Beyer Open Backs]

That imo would be about the best way to go, an all three would be under $400 total 

post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 
Is that the Behring AND the Shiit or the Behringer OR the Shiit? I know nothing about those things.
post #4 of 31

That would be the Behringer AND the Schiit.  As for a headphone, I like the DT 880 Pro for classical.  The AKG K702 is worth consideration as well.

post #5 of 31

For classical, I recommend HD598 or HD650.

post #6 of 31
like my q701s and HD 600s

For value...maybe these?
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-K612PRO-Reference/dp/B00DCXZY1W
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

honestly, I'd go with the Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm. I enjoyed it over the DT 880 for classical. As far as amps go, you can get a Berinhger UAC 202 [$30 dac sounds, listening to it now actually an really it's a steal] a a Schiit Vali Amp [tube sounds nice with the Beyer Open Backs]

That imo would be about the best way to go, an all three would be under $400 total 

 

I own the DT 990 250 Ohm and I agree that it would be a great choice. I think it works well for almost all genres. The Sennheiser HD600 would also be a great choice.

post #8 of 31

I would highly recommend you Sennheiser HD 600's!

post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 

 

I own the DT 990 250 Ohm and I agree that it would be a great choice. I think it works well for almost all genres. The Sennheiser HD600 would also be a great choice.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgao8 View Post
 

I would highly recommend you Sennheiser HD 600's!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhamnetin View Post
 

That would be the Behringer AND the Schiit.  As for a headphone, I like the DT 880 Pro for classical.  The AKG K702 is worth consideration as well.

Yea, I love my UAC 202, not the most resolving Dac ever, but if it's your first it'll be a noticeable improvement! An yes you feed the Berhinger into the Schiit Amp

An the HD 600 is another good choice, as is the DT 880, sadly the DT 880 and HD 600 both tend to cost more than a DT 990 Pro 

Yea the AKG 701 an DT 880 both sit around $240 on amazon, the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm is still at like $180, bout the same price it's been for a while now. An the HD 600 will also be north of $200. All in all, from EVERY headphone I tried in that bracket. Open Back Sub $400, the Dt 990 Pro 250 ohm was the best for dollar I thought, an it plays very nicely with cheap tube amps too, an those cheap amps do wonders for the DT 990s mid range 

post #10 of 31
Thread Starter 
So what do you guys recommend to drive them? The Behringer/Shiit combo is one suggestion. What else?
post #11 of 31
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry, but the 990s look ugly to me. I'll stick with the 880s or maybe a Senn model. I wish I could afford the 650.
post #12 of 31
Thread Starter 
Am I right to think that HD 598 < dt 880 < or = HD 6xx? Meaning, the HD 6xx are arguably better than the Beyers, which is better than the HD 598? (Not that the 598s are bad,,,,)
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCofficehack View Post

Am I right to think that HD 598 < dt 880 < or = HD 6xx? Meaning, the HD 6xx are arguably better than the Beyers, which is better than the HD 598? (Not that the 598s are bad,,,,)

 

The general consensus is HD 598 < DT 880 = HD 6xx as far as overall fidelity goes, but they're all distinct from each other.

post #14 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhamnetin View Post

The general consensus is HD 598 < DT 880 = HD 6xx as far as overall fidelity goes, but they're all distinct from each other.

The price difference between the dt 880 and the HD 600 is enough to dissuade me from the Senns if they are merely 'equal but different.' It's a pity I can't audition them.
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCofficehack View Post


The price difference between the dt 880 and the HD 600 is enough to dissuade me from the Senns if they are merely 'equal but different.' It's a pity I can't audition them.

 

Yeah the DT 880 is a better value for sure.  The DT 880 has better build quality (almost all metal opposed to the almost all plastic HD 600), the HD 600 has a smoother and more laid back sound while the DT 880 has more treble presence and edgier sound to try and push out details more.  The DT 880 exhibits a larger sound stage and more obvious imaging.  With the DT 880, the treble and sometimes even the bass can be really harsh on bad recordings (but not all bad recordings, it's pretty much a hit or miss).  But then the HD 600 sounds more transparent to me.  You can't get it all, at least not for under $400.  :dt880smile:

 

I prefer the DT 880 for classical because of its sound stage and I generally prefer its added treble presence, but that's just me.  Really both are nice headphones and you should like either one.  Both pair best with OTL tube amps I feel, unless you get a 32 Ohm DT 880 of course (not recommended).  The Vali should be nice too however.  The DT 880 is a high sensitivity headphone and thus easy to amp.  I think the HD 600 has high sensitivity too?  

 

Little Dot has a sub $200 OTL tube amp if I recall correctly, and some of the Garage1217 ones are very affordable too.  I've never heard either of them, but if I were to buy an amp for either of these headphones I would go that route.  The only reason I haven't gone that route with my DT 880 is because I plan to replace it in a few months anyway.


Edited by Rhamnetin - 9/16/15 at 9:43am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best open cans for classical, sub-$400