or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › SONY NW-ZX100 DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SONY NW-ZX100 DAP - Page 73

post #1081 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACONE View Post


My apologies of this has been asked already but how does the a-17 compare to the NW-ZX100?

 

I have the A-17 and curious on how it compares.

 

Thanks!

According to my ears it is a huge step-up in clarity... (don't know if something was wrong with my A17 for sure) but I noted high frequency distortions like warblish sound esp during a big chorus singing in a cathedral, also happened with Harpsichord recordings, like it cannot render well the high end spectrum and distorts it (akin if it introduces noise or foesn't make it to blend the voices like sopranos, tenors, bass)

 

Soundstage wise ZX100 has a bigger one (detectable at least with my mDR-1R, bass impact is less warm than A17, i feel the timpani drums to kick very natural like if they were soft explosions (as they shall sound!) unlike A17 they sounded rather boomy with much slap of the membrane....

 

If i swtch to my XBA-A3 IEM, it retains all sonic characteristic but loses soundstage... already thinking of upgrading stock cable of those

 

what i get suprised quite a lot is the naturalness of the osund, so organic to the point each isntrument gets identified clearly and at least for me, none gets veiled (with my A17 sometimes got veiled instruments namely in orchestral pieces, most common "accompaining" instruments to a main "actor" instrument.. f.e a bach soloist canata with viola da gamba, flute and harpsichord... the flute and soprano sound clearly but the other two get "muffled" in the A10 series output... which does not happen with the ZX100, i get a clear picture of each instrument, they are put at their correct distances/volumes so the gamba sounds softer but sounds like a gamba same for the harpsichord.

 

in summary ZX100 is very detailed and all those are 16/44... it is able to extract "all the juice" from the recording. To make it more cleapicture a solo flutist, a soprano, a cellist and a harpsichordist in a "horseshoe" shape formation or better U-shape ensemble... now imagine A17 is a camera that lost the focus on the gamba and the cembalo is more blurred than the others... and the ZX100 like a professional camera that captured all performes clearly unobstructed


Edited by gerelmx1986 - 10/20/15 at 1:50pm
post #1082 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerelmx1986 View Post
 

According to my ears it is a huge step-up in clarity... (don't know if something was wrong with my A17 for sure) but I noted high frequency distortions like warblish sound esp during a big chorus singing in a cathedral, also happened with Harpsichord recordings, like it cannot render well the high end spectrum and distorts it (akin if it introduces noise or foesn't make it to blend the voices like sopranos, tenors, bass)

 

Soundstage wise ZX100 has a bigger one (detectable at least with my mDR-1R, bass impact is less warm than A17, i feel the timpani drums to kick very natural like if they were soft explosions (as they shall sound!) unlike A17 they sounded rather boomy with much slap of the membrane....

 

If i swtch to my XBA-A3 IEM, it retains all sonic characteristic but loses soundstage... already thinking of upgrading stock cable of those

 

what i get suprised quite a lot is the naturalness of the osund, so organic to the point each isntrument gets identified clearly and at least for me, none gets veiled (with my A17 sometimes got veiled instruments namely in orchestral pieces, most common "accompaining" instruments to a main "actor" instrument.. f.e a bach soloist canata with viola da gamba, flute and harpsichord... the flute and soprano sound clearly but the other two get "muffled" in the A10 series output... which does not happen with the ZX100, i get a clear picture of each instrument, they are put at their correct distances/volumes so the gamba sounds softer but sounds like a gamba same for the harpsichord.

 

in summary ZX100 is very detailed and all those are 16/44... it is able to extract "all the juice" from the recording. To make it more cleapicture a solo flutist, a soprano, a cellist and a harpsichordist in a "horseshoe" shape formation or better U-shape ensemble... now imagine A17 is a camera that lost the focus on the gamba and the cembalo is more blurred than the others... and the ZX100 like a professional camera that captured all performes clearly unobstructed


Thank you!

 

This is vert helpful!

 

I have the ZX2 also and suspect the ZX100 might be a mini XZ2.

post #1083 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACONE View Post


Thank you!

 

This is vert helpful!

 

I have the ZX2 also and suspect the ZX100 might be a mini XZ2.

Ye i can imagine it too a mini ZX2 (as long as you take into account zx100 has no TRRS Jack) with better battery life, SQ-wise maybe on par, perhaps zx2 wins by a slight margin

 

anfd how do you compare zx2 vs A17 :biggrin:?

post #1084 of 3530
I doubt it being a small margin. Seriously, Sony is not stupid enough to kill it FLAGSHIPS. See ? Even to let people hear the effects of their gimicks DSEE HX, and Surround sound effects, and EQ clear bass, they gimped the real potential of the ZX2 down. Yes, disable the enhencement will hugely improve the ZX2 sound. TRRS just take it another step further.

Now, with such things, do you think they would be stupid enough to not "Gimp" the ZX100 down considerably ? So people who demo them in the store can see the differences ?
post #1085 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post

I doubt it being a small margin. Seriously, Sony is not stupid enough to kill it FLAGSHIPS. See ? Even to let people hear the effects of their gimicks DSEE HX, and Surround sound effects, and EQ clear bass, they gimped the real potential of the ZX2 down. Yes, disable the enhencement will hugely improve the ZX2 sound. TRRS just take it another step further.

Now, with such things, do you think they would be stupid enough to not "Gimp" the ZX100 down considerably ? So people who demo them in the store can see the differences ?


No matter what @Whitigir or @purk say about ZX2 i am happy with my purchase :wink: Loving the damn enveloping organ music right now Bach's Toccate und Fugue BWV 538 nice blend of pipes loud and "small sounding" all orchestrated better than my old A17 (old because sold) very very enveloping WOW now thats 3D soundstage (tought with A3, gotta try at home with 1R's :jecklinsmile:) my ZX100 has about 65~67h burn in

 

A review sample text taken from the Star.com.my

Quote:
 

Comparing the NW-ZX2 with the RM999 NMW-A17 was a little harder. The differences were more subtle and weren’t easily heard by the untrained ear in a blind test.

It was a different story for certain audiophiles. They said the NW-ZX2 exhibited a better grip on the music and it was clearer and more ­transparent. The strings on Mozart ­symphonies had more ­breathing space while the reverb on Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean was more distinct.

Exactly what i hear from my 66h burned-in zx100, better grip unleashed music running wild, I feel it more transparent, CLEAN and clearer, better reverb presentation and deccay... they didnt mention the kind of warble distortion i got on my A17 tough... let's see after 200hrs

 

As confirmed, MDR-1R open up the soundstage of the ZX100: trying the same Organ pieces by bach infact one of them my favorite, the Prelude and Fugue in G major BWV 541


Edited by gerelmx1986 - 10/20/15 at 5:48pm
post #1086 of 3530

I will keep this walkman for a long time... I want to wait for the walkman's 40th anniversary I will hold it up for the big surprise....


Edited by gerelmx1986 - 10/21/15 at 7:04am
post #1087 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerelmx1986 View Post
 

I will keep this walkman for a long time... I want to wait for the walkman's 40th anniversary I will hold it up for the big surprise....

gerelmx i am currently listening to my x1060 ..loving its warm sound its not as detailed as my A17 but still sounds very good..its a keeper forever lol

post #1088 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post

gerelmx i am currently listening to my x1060 ..loving its warm sound its not as detailed as my A17 but still sounds very good..its a keeper forever lol

X series if i remember was walkman's 30th anniversary edition, you still own it? and the battery good or already showing signs of wear & tear?

post #1089 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerelmx1986 View Post
 

X series if i remember was walkman's 30th anniversary edition, you still own it? and the battery good or already showing signs of wear & tear?

yes i still own it ..mine is in a very good condition i put a screen protector and silicon case on it from day one.... i love the hardware buttons on them and the touchscreen and the oled screen ...great build quality i bought it with the official bluetooth adapter and cradle.....This one didnt come with the Euro volume limiting crap .

   It was the 30th anniversary you are correct 


Edited by goody - 10/21/15 at 8:59am
post #1090 of 3530

If sony decides to release a zx2 replacement i will get it only if

 

  • SQ at zx2 and with the clarity of ZX100
  • Touch screen w/ physical nuttons (like walkman X series)
  • Sony Walkman OS or a latest android version with no bloatware (e.g useless android stuff and sony stuff)
post #1091 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerelmx1986 View Post
 

If sony decides to release a zx2 replacement i will get it only if

 

  • SQ at zx2 and with the clarity of ZX100
  • Touch screen w/ physical nuttons (like walkman X series)
  • Sony Walkman OS or a latest android version with no bloatware (e.g useless android stuff and sony stuff)


While you raise some good points, you do know that the Sony Walkman Android app is considered by many people to be one of the best on the market :P

post #1092 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJohn456 View Post


While you raise some good points, you do know that the Sony Walkman Android app is considered by many people to be one of the best on the market :P

By useless android and sony stuff i was referring you know to google Books, google music, google drive, or like in my xperia sony cnnect, sony lounge LOL, Yes i imagine walkman app is good because it has the sony spirit on it and the walkman name on it :tongue_smile: 

 

few moments ago i had a weird sound, like if my rght earbud was kaputt, but seems to be doing fine again, oh burn-in :deadhorse: after that the soundstage suddenly because super widened O___O and so damn 3D

 

I have an old recording of bachs Concerto e Fugue BWV 909 sounds very dry but adding the studio surround helps it a bit


Edited by gerelmx1986 - 10/21/15 at 4:18pm
post #1093 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerelmx1986 View Post
 

If sony decides to release a zx2 replacement i will get it only if

 

  • SQ at zx2 and with the clarity of ZX100
  • Touch screen w/ physical nuttons (like walkman X series)
  • Sony Walkman OS or a latest android version with no bloatware (e.g useless android stuff and sony stuff)


Can't you simply remove apps you don't want? Also so you are saying the ZX2 sounds better, but it lacks clarity? So you mean it is too warm sounding?


Edited by Sonic Defender - 10/21/15 at 6:49pm
post #1094 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post


Can't you simply remove apps you don't want? Also so you are saying the ZX2 sounds better, but it lacks clarity? So you mean it is too warm sounding?

Tehy say so i don't own a zx2... but wish it was sans android tough, but love my zx100 with traditional walkman OS

post #1095 of 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 


Can't you simply remove apps you don't want? Also so you are saying the ZX2 sounds better, but it lacks clarity? So you mean it is too warm sounding?

 

it is a matter of preference.  personally prefer the leaner sounding zx100 over the usual mid-bass heavy sony house sound inherent in the zx2.  don't even care for album art let alone all the fancy stuff on the zx2, so the zx100 works like a charm.


Edited by Uncle E1 - 10/21/15 at 8:07pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › SONY NW-ZX100 DAP