Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions - Page 120

post #1786 of 1855
Have had a few weird issues. My left channel will die shortly after turning the amp on. The tube will actually stop glowing. It doesn't happen all of the time and the majority of the time works fine. Anyone else experience this?
post #1787 of 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosiemoncrieff View Post

I'll ask the community in general, mj2 or saga->jot? Assume both are fed by bimby.

You already have the amp you're trying to make ie. MJ2.  Saga Jot is just a different flavor of the same thing.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldair View Post
 

Hey, I have think about pairing Mjr 2 with Saga. Any thoughts about this?

Again, why?  What are you trying to accomplish?  You already have tubes in the MJ2 so why add more components into the chain?  

 

I use Freya>Jot to add some tube flavor.  I demoed a MJ2 and chose this instead.  I'll also be using Freya for it's intended purpose of balanced preamp.  If you already have MJ2, then just stick with it and look for something completely different.  

post #1788 of 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhull1973 View Post

Have had a few weird issues. My left channel will die shortly after turning the amp on. The tube will actually stop glowing. It doesn't happen all of the time and the majority of the time works fine. Anyone else experience this?

Sounds like one of your tubes is dying.  Or there is an issue with your amp.  Try swapping the tubes and see if the issue changes sides.  

post #1789 of 1855

This is why i ask your thoughts about pairing those. Mostly i was interest remote control. Mayby i´ll just wait and save for Gumby...

post #1790 of 1855

That's probably the better choice.  You'll get more benefit from Gumby over a new amp.  

post #1791 of 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by cskippy View Post

Sounds like one of your tubes is dying.  Or there is an issue with your amp.  Try swapping the tubes and see if the issue changes sides.  
Definitely not the tube. I swapped them and it still happened.
post #1792 of 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhull1973 View Post

Definitely not the tube. I swapped them and it still happened.
I think this may have resulted from over zealous tube swapping. May have triggered the protection circuit. I did turn it off while swapping tubes. All is well today.
post #1793 of 1855

Glad to hear it.  

post #1794 of 1855

if the budget allows it, should I go for the Gungnir Multibit + Ragnarok combination? Is the Ragnarok better compared to the Mjolnir 2. Also for driving speakers? Do I need a Emotiva Control Freak with the Ragnarok as well? Guess that one could switch from input (between speakers, headphone or both)


Edited by Thenazgul - 3/21/17 at 10:03pm
post #1795 of 1855

I ordered a Mjolnir 2 yesterday to go along with my Yggdrasil. I like my Lyr 2 quite a bit, but I look forward to listening to the Mjolnir 2. Driving my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones with a quality XLR cable should improve the sound a bit and using XLR interconnects between the Yggdrasil and Mjolnir 2 can't hurt.

post #1796 of 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by winders View Post
 

I ordered a Mjolnir 2 yesterday to go along with my Yggdrasil. I like my Lyr 2 quite a bit, but I look forward to listening to the Mjolnir 2. Driving my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones with a quality XLR cable should improve the sound a bit and using XLR interconnects between the Yggdrasil and Mjolnir 2 can't hurt.

Of course that would improve the sound. More power and less noise and better channel separation. I might go for the Yggdrasil (instead of the Gungnir Multibit)and Mjolnir 2 as well. In a few days I could do my salary calculations. Make sure that you set a Emotiva Control Freak or TC Level Pilot (attenuator) between the Mjolnir-2 and speakers. The Mjolnir 2 and Ragnarok doesn't mute the pre-amp outputs when you plugin your headphone. It could result in blowing the fuse. 

Yet I am still uncertain how to set the volume levels. On either the speakers, attenuator or amplifier. And which one to adjust first. When you turn of/on your amplifier it is best to set volume on zero. Same with the attenuator. Attenuator for pre-amp output keeps on volume zero when using your headphone. Or you have to turn off-speakers.
Then when you want to switch from headphone to speakers. Lower amplifier volume to zero. Remove headphone cable.  Open attenuator volume to max (for no resistance)
Then adjust amplifier volume to level you want?  What volume is safe to put your speakers on (40% depending on room??)
 


Edited by Thenazgul - 3/22/17 at 6:18am
post #1797 of 1855

If speakers might be on your horizon, go gumby/rag. If not, Yggy/MJ2 is more flexible for headphones.

post #1798 of 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosiemoncrieff View Post
 

If speakers might be on your horizon, go gumby/rag. If not, Yggy/MJ2 is more flexible for headphones.


My plan is Yggdrasil and Mjolnir 2 for headphones and my nearfield powered monitors. When Schiit comes out either Vidar amp, I will buy a Freya and two Vidar amps to drive some quality room speakers.

post #1799 of 1855

I can't decide between Rag and WA5.

post #1800 of 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosiemoncrieff View Post
 

I can't decide between Rag and WA5.

 

Huh? That's not even a fair fight. I love Schiit amps but the wa5 even with stock tubes was superior to the Rag. And with NOS tubes...just wow. 


Edited by MattTCG - 3/22/17 at 2:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions