or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions - Page 159

post #2371 of 2692
Are the dt 1770 better then HD800? I'm so torn between what to get!
post #2372 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoboy View Post

Are the dt 1770 better then HD800? I'm so torn between what to get!

 

Never heard HD 800/S. But isn't it $900 more expensive than $500 deal one can get on DT 1770? But surely, DT 1770 is as good as and maybe even better than open-back HD650 for my studio neutral needs. It is such a well-behaved headphone across all frequencies. Prim and proper reproduction and without an effort. You should audition both headphones, if budget is not a concern for you.  But surely I heard a lot about Focal Elear at $999 and Ether Flow at around $1700 being better bets than HD 800S at $1600. You would do well auditioning all new throne usurpers of recent months before placing the final order. Times, they are a-changin'.

post #2373 of 2692
beyerdynamic Amiron

Successor to T90.
With detachable double-side cables.
Tesla 2.0 drivers.
The beyer treble of T90 brought down. The new beyer sound- more balanced now in mids, bass and treble.
Announced yeterday in Tokyo.
$599.



http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/press/press-releases/press-detail/article/amiron-home-new-at-the-tokyo-headphone-festival-2016.html
Edited by Subhakar - 9/29/16 at 4:27pm
post #2374 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhakar View Post


The beyer treble of T90 brought down. The new beyer sound- more balanced now in mids, bass and treble.
 

Have you heard them? Nothing in that announcement gave us much idea of what the sound signature will be, but they're open back and therefore better to compare with the DT-1990 than the 1770

post #2375 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoboy View Post

Are the dt 1770 better then HD800? I'm so torn between what to get!

I own the 1770 and Focal Elear, never heard the HD800. The 1770 and Elear are quite different. For starters, being closed, 1770 is more bass strong. To me they possess a more fleshed out midrange too. That said the Elear is ultra dynamic & expressive. They can do justice to any genre, where as the 1770, for me at least, does well with EDM style and ok with everything else. From what the "experts" are claiming, the Elear is a better bargain than the HD800. YMMV.
post #2376 of 2692

What's the comfort level for these cans after 4-6 hours of listening time? Do your ears get sweaty, ears hurt from clamping force, etc.?

post #2377 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordfool View Post

Have you heard them? Nothing in that announcement gave us much idea of what the sound signature will be, but they're open back and therefore better to compare with the DT-1990 than the 1770





http://www.head-fi.org/t/821567/beyerdynamic-amiron-home-the-new-t90/0_60

Yes, it does give the idea in no unequivocal terms:

Quote:
"An additional fabric in front of the multilayer compound calotte reduces high-frequency resonances. The acoustic transducers are dampened on the rear to ensure an even more balanced frequency response in the mids. And a new acoustically effective ear pad filling material increases bass precision. All in all, this adds up to a warm, stress-free sound with fascinating spaciousness – as intoxicating as in a live concert."
Quote


It means, a conscious effort has been made by them to take the old T90's much-feared razor sharp treble.

More details: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/press/press-releases/press-detail/article/amiron-home-new-at-the-tokyo-headphone-festival-2016.html
Edited by Subhakar - 9/29/16 at 7:04pm
post #2378 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikkNazty View Post

What's the comfort level for these cans after 4-6 hours of listening time? Do your ears get sweaty, ears hurt from clamping force, etc.?
A couple hours with 1770 and I can't get them off fast enough. Elear I can go a few hours and T1 all day long
post #2379 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikkNazty View Post
 

What's the comfort level for these cans after 4-6 hours of listening time? Do your ears get sweaty, ears hurt from clamping force, etc.?


I do not have any issues with them. I am using them at the homeoffice for a full day of work with no issues. I am using the velour pads and they are soft and nice to wear and the headband as well. 

post #2380 of 2692
This is a totally new direction for beyerdynamic...The webpage says: "Warm, intoxicating sound with live atmosphere".

I have never had any problems with older beyerdynamic models in terms of sharp treble. T70 and T70p was among the best headphones I have had. I know a lot of people did not like them because they were too bright but to me they were unique. This new direction is probably a reaction to what customers want. I never had T90 though. I have only heard them shortly on IFA and CanJam. 

post #2381 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkapp View Post


I own the 1770 and Focal Elear, never heard the HD800. The 1770 and Elear are quite different. For starters, being closed, 1770 is more bass strong. To me they possess a more fleshed out midrange too. That said the Elear is ultra dynamic & expressive. They can do justice to any genre, where as the 1770, for me at least, does well with EDM style and ok with everything else. From what the "experts" are claiming, the Elear is a better bargain than the HD800. YMMV.

 

How does the soundstage compared with those two? A lot of comments say the Elears have a relatively small soundstage (small for the price range or small for open-backed I don't know). The 1770 do have a fairly large soundstage for closed headphones IMO, although they still definitely sound "closed". 

post #2382 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhakar View Post


Yes, it does give the idea in no unequivocal terms:

Quote:
"An additional fabric in front of the multilayer compound calotte reduces high-frequency resonances. The acoustic transducers are dampened on the rear to ensure an even more balanced frequency response in the mids. And a new acoustically effective ear pad filling material increases bass precision. All in all, this adds up to a warm, stress-free sound with fascinating spaciousness – as intoxicating as in a live concert."
Quote


It means, a conscious effort has been made by them to take the old T90's much-feared razor sharp treble.
 

 

My point is that we only have Beyer's word for it. Back in 2012 they described the T90 as "neutral", so I always take PR blurb with a grain of salt until someone actually hears them and can report, for example, which "high frequency resonances" have been damped and if that treble spike has indeed been tamed. 

post #2383 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordfool View Post

My point is that we only have Beyer's word for it. Back in 2012 they described the T90 as "neutral", so I always take PR blurb with a grain of salt until someone actually hears them and can report, for example, which "high frequency resonances" have been damped and if that treble spike has indeed been tamed. 

What makes me put a little more faith in beyerdynamic's own decsription of this headphone this time is the fact that DT-1770 and DT-1990 were also described by them as more balanced as they could get when compared to DT-770/990 and it turned out to be true after all, when I actually listened to them. So, I tend to believe that beyerdynamic is speaking only truthfully when they carefully chose those words and explained the signature changes and how they made those changes possible in the new design. Since, both DT-1770/1990 and now seemingly Amiron too are sporting balanced signatures, I find myself not so reluctant to believe that maybe the very beyerdynamic house sound is changing into balanced by discarding treble-leanings. The corporate PR integrity when T90 was launched surely must've seen a sea of change in the years that followed till now when the real bakanced signatures are released giving it no need to be inaccurate in its description job.

One good thing on the side, though, is the fact that, for those who love the original sharp treble of T90, this might be last chance and a cheaper time to buy the last units available for sale.
Edited by Subhakar - 9/30/16 at 7:48am
post #2384 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhakar View Post

One good thing on the side, though, is the fact that, for those who love the original sharp treble of T90, this might be last chance and a cheaper time to buy the last units available for sale.

I am hoping that this is a move for beyerdynamic to be able to offer several different choices of tastes of headphones more than an overall change in philosophy and house-sound.

post #2385 of 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordfool View Post

How does the soundstage compared with those two? A lot of comments say the Elears have a relatively small soundstage (small for the price range or small for open-backed I don't know). The 1770 do have a fairly large soundstage for closed headphones IMO, although they still definitely sound "closed". 
If I am to be truthful, imo, the 1770 may be better. Keep in mind they are headphones. We aren't sitting in a 3 dimensional space, surrounded by sound waves coming at us front and center. Soundstaging is hugely dependent on the recording techniques used, the actual venue and upstream equipment too. In this regard, phones can only do so much. From what I hear though, the hd800 do a fairly good job recreating more accurate staging. The 1770 and Elear are both fines cans. Hope this helps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions