I am finally succumbing to the "earning" I've been having for the past couple of weeks to buy some full sized cans. I primarily use my UE900s everywhere, however, as awesome as they are, they don't have the power and immersive-ness of a big-ass set of cans.
I have a pair of ATH-M50 that I bought a few years ago (thanks to headfi-ers), but I never really used them that much. I quite enjoyed the sound, but the fit was very mediocre and overall the headphones were quite fatiguing. I tried stretching it out, which reduced the "clampy-ness", but did squat about the uncomfortable way the cups rested on my jaws (also I have mild TMJ).
I read a lot about the Senn HD 598s and it would have been a perfect choice in terms of comfort (also they look so good), barring the following deal breakers:
1. They are open headphones.
2. They are "lacking" in bass from what I read
I love the SQ and "signature" of the UE900 and ATH-m50 (although it tends to be a teensy bit harsh on the highs IMHO).
The music I listen to is primarily:
- Heavy Metal
I would like to purchase something that would (hopefully) fullfil the following criteria:
- Little to no leakage (as I will be using them at work).
- Comfortable enough that I can spend 4-6 hours with them on.
- Budget of approx $200-300 (but can go over a bit for something especially compelling).
- Build quality good enough to withstand the abuse of being carried in a backpack everyday.
- Aesthetics :)
I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohms and they seem to fit the bill fairly adequately. However, I'm a bit concerned about the size of the headphones and how they'll react to being stuffed in a backpack everyday. Also, they're quite fugly. :)
Would love some recommendations, thoughts and personal experiences from fellow head-fiers. :)