or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › SoundMagic E50 & E80 - Story of Two Magicians - A Review...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SoundMagic E50 & E80 - Story of Two Magicians - A Review... - Page 3

post #31 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyogan View Post
 

Just got my e80 in today and right away I know I've found the sound signature that I've been looking for! Neutral with great extension down low and high without sibilance. And unlike the Re-400, it doesn't have the murky warmth feel to the sound that irked me. It's just clean, clear and resolving (pretty darn good for its price but I don't know how resolving it is compared to IEMs above the $200 price bracket).

 

Compared to Dunu Titan 1, the e80 is truly a competitor sound quality wise as they are rather similar. Titan 1 sounds a little more detailed due to the extended and sharper shimmery treble. And of course the e80 isolates so much better. Titan 1's soundstage is more out of the head and expansive but the e80 is more intimate, like my EPH-100. One thing I do dislike about the e80 is the cable; if it was like the Titan 1, it would've been perfect for me. I also found the tips provided to be of poorer quality, being rather thin and soft and some are deformed due to being squeezed in the packaging.

 

Another little plus point is that I can actually wear them in bed and sleep in any position I want! I was quite surprised as I'm actually using the double flange tip (the only tip that seals my right ear properly). All in all, I'm very well pleased with this little purchase and I won't be buying anymore IEM until my EPH-100 dies. Then maybe I'll get the Fidue A73 to replace them. :tongue_smile: 

How is the bass and sub-bass compared to the RE-400?  I found the RE-400 too boring for pop and EDM.

post #32 of 99

If any one is interested in my E80, after getting my 770C and evaluating the sound signatures and synergy of all my earphones, a couple will be heading out. E80 and AN16 for $50 shipped domestic :) PM me for the details. I will start a FS thread later on but a head's up for the SM fans.

post #33 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
 

How is the bass and sub-bass compared to the RE-400?  I found the RE-400 too boring for pop and EDM.

I really enjoyed the RE-400 for vocal trance.  Too bad the build quality was poor and one side died.  RIP RE-400.

post #34 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post
 

How is the bass and sub-bass compared to the RE-400?  I found the RE-400 too boring for pop and EDM.

 

From my memory, the e80 only has a slightly more pronounced bass compared to RE-400 (I could be wrong the last time I tried it as I was only powering the RE-400 with Clip+). So, if you're looking for a bit of fun I think the Fidue A73 would be the way to go. As much as I love the e80, I'd consider it boring to most people that are not looking a neutral sound signature. The bass only kicks in when it is really called for so far in the tracks I've heard. Even when it does, it doesn't really stands out of the rest of the frequency and grabs your attention.

 

EDIT:

 

I was just listening to Daft Punk's One More Time and Harder Better Faster Stronger, and the bass is really punchy, tight, quick, and not fatiguing. I could probably wear this for hours! Hope this helps.


Edited by vyogan - 7/10/15 at 6:30pm
post #35 of 99

Some users posted impressions of E50, E80 in this thread too: 

head-fi.org/t/771066/soundmagic-release-e50s-and-e80s-in-ear-reference-series

 

In case you missed the sponsor thread.

post #36 of 99

AngelOfMercy said:

 

"My overall rankings are

1. SoundMAGIC E80
2. Fidue A73
3. Sony H3
4. Dunu Titan 1
5. JVC FX750
6. TEAC Incore ZE1000
7. JVC FTX200
8. KZ ATE
9. Soundsoul S-018

Take it for what it's worth. My opinion and my ears only. The E80 are tuned to near perfection for the price point, and simply shouldn't be ignored."

 

Keep in mind that the E80 is only $52, which is 1/4 to 1/2 the price of many of these IEMs.

post #37 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

AngelOfMercy said:

"My overall rankings are


1. SoundMAGIC E80

2. Fidue A73

3. Sony H3

4. Dunu Titan 1

5. JVC FX750

6. TEAC Incore ZE1000

7. JVC FTX200

8. KZ ATE

9. Soundsoul S-018


Take it for what it's worth. My opinion and my ears only. The E80 are tuned to near perfection for the price point, and simply shouldn't be ignored."

Keep in mind that the E80 is only $52, which is 1/4 to 1/2 the price of many of these IEMs.

I fully agree with you. The E80 is easily the best at it's price! Does every genre well, since it's neutral. You cannot go wrong with them, unless you're looking for a really specific sound signature. Clarity and timbre are almost on par with even mid tier headphones!

I'm always surprised by how good the E80 is even right after listening to my favourite HD600!
post #38 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyogan View Post
 

 

From my memory, the e80 only has a slightly more pronounced bass compared to RE-400 (I could be wrong the last time I tried it as I was only powering the RE-400 with Clip+). So, if you're looking for a bit of fun I think the Fidue A73 would be the way to go. As much as I love the e80, I'd consider it boring to most people that are not looking a neutral sound signature. The bass only kicks in when it is really called for so far in the tracks I've heard. Even when it does, it doesn't really stands out of the rest of the frequency and grabs your attention.

 

EDIT:

 

I was just listening to Daft Punk's One More Time and Harder Better Faster Stronger, and the bass is really punchy, tight, quick, and not fatiguing. I could probably wear this for hours! Hope this helps.

 

This was my first impression too. I won't lie, I didn't enjoy it that much because I'm hardly an audiophile and I'm pretty new to this game; I need that element of fun and these just didn't seem to have any on first listen, even if it was obvious the detail and such was very good.

 

Then I played with the EQ in poweramp a bit... and again, I'm no audiophile but its clear to me that the bass on these things is truly amazing. Just a small boost in the sub rolling down (like a typical 'rock' setting) and it gets more powerful, definitely some rumble and impact but still really tight and accurate. I think its as good as the mids and better than the treble. Overall I think these things are just designed to do what they're told, so you want more bass, they'll give it to you. They're definitely one of the best I've bought so far. 


Edited by ajaxender - 7/18/15 at 12:39am
post #39 of 99
Well, here's a funny thing. I was in Poundland earlier today and noticed they had some cheap plastic 'sports' headband style IEMs. So on a whim I bought them, thinking I could try the tips with my E80s. Nothing to lose, only a quid....

And here's the thing - although there's only the tips they come fitted with, not only do these fit me perfectly, but they sound absolutely beautiful with the E80s.clarity and baLance like nothing else - just amazing really.

God I am such a chav.
post #40 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toom View Post

Well, here's a funny thing. I was in Poundland earlier today and noticed they had some cheap plastic 'sports' headband style IEMs. So on a whim I bought them, thinking I could try the tips with my E80s. Nothing to lose, only a quid....

And here's the thing - although there's only the tips they come fitted with, not only do these fit me perfectly, but they sound absolutely beautiful with the E80s.clarity and baLance like nothing else - just amazing really.

God I am such a chav.

Picture of the tips please smily_headphones1.gif
post #41 of 99

Here you go - just basic tips, but they sound magic (see what I did there?).

 

post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toom View Post

Here you go - just basic tips, but they sound magic (see what I did there?).



Thanks , I'll check if I've got something similar to try out when I get back from my holiday.
post #43 of 99
Thread Starter 

Updated the OP with link to reviews and impressions.

post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toom View Post
 

Here you go - just basic tips, but they sound magic (see what I did there?).

 

 

So, now that I've rooted my One M8 and given it some more amp power, I'm blown away by how great my E80s sound. Really just sound so natural and perfect. I'm also still rocking those Poundland tips in the pic - I'm laughing my head off that such crappy cheap headphones for £1 can have the best tips I've yet tried with the E80s.  Gonna stock up on a load.


Edited by Toom - 7/29/15 at 1:12am
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyogan View Post


I fully agree with you. The E80 is easily the best at it's price! Does every genre well, since it's neutral. You cannot go wrong with them, unless you're looking for a really specific sound signature. Clarity and timbre are almost on par with even mid tier headphones!

I'm always surprised by how good the E80 is even right after listening to my favourite HD600!


What!!?This could mean I could be poorer by 52$!

This is what I'm talking about.We should support more and more of iems where there is a damn good bang for buck!If this is the preview of the future then we should expect this to be the norm!

Good times to be an audiophile! especially for the wallet.

If these as good as they are supposed to be, then they would dethrone Fidue A73, just for the sheer price/performance ratio without a doubt!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › SoundMagic E50 & E80 - Story of Two Magicians - A Review...