or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U) - Page 6

post #76 of 1008

I finally had to time to go through the reviews. Really enjoyed reading them! Definitely the most impressive review I have read on Head-fi for a very long time!

 

Looking forward to the next installments in the series and of course Fit for a Bat 2.

post #77 of 1008

Btw, do you guys know if thin sound is a general property of an iem or the consequence of recessed mids (causing it to sound less full)? I know that's the case with the IE800, but don't know if that can be generalized to other iems.

post #78 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkenick View Post
 

Btw, do you guys know if thin sound is a general property of an iem or the consequence of recessed mids (causing it to sound less full)? I know that's the case with the IE800, but don't know if that can be generalized to other iems.


IMO, it can be the iem tuning, with different levels of recessed mids, non bloomy bass (not a bad thing), bright treble, or combination of the three.  It might also be your source or amp.  Only way to tell for me is to play familiar tunes that have a more full sound, and compare with other phones you are more familiar with.

post #79 of 1008

Very good thread, I enjoy it. And I wanted to ask, how different is the JH13 to you compared to the non-FP predecessor? Also I really like the number system. Looking forward to your review of the K10.

post #80 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkenick View Post
 

Btw, do you guys know if thin sound is a general property of an iem or the consequence of recessed mids (causing it to sound less full)? I know that's the case with the IE800, but don't know if that can be generalized to other iems.

A bit subjective, but for me I generally associate thinness with lack of presence in the lower mids/ middle mids in relation to everything else (bass, treble, upper mids).

post #81 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjacq View Post
 

Very good thread, I enjoy it. And I wanted to ask, how different is the JH13 to you compared to the non-FP predecessor? Also I really like the number system. Looking forward to your review of the K10.

I think you are gonna have to wait a while to get the K10 review :ksc75smile:

post #82 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by omastic View Post
 

A bit subjective, but for me I generally associate thinness with lack of presence in the lower mids/ middle mids in relation to everything else (bass, treble, upper mids).

Yeah I think that's the case as well; the mids determine the 'body' or fullness. A huge dip there might cause thin sound because focus is more on the highs as can be seen on the freq chart of the IE800

 

 


Edited by flinkenick - 6/30/15 at 4:40am
post #83 of 1008

That dip is in the 3kHz zone though, that isn't the mids anymore, it is the treble area.

post #84 of 1008

Hmm you're right, its more lower treble.. I stand corrected. The chart matches pretty good with my experience, except I thought the IE800 sounds far more recessed in the mids, while the treble is pretty good.. Strange.

post #85 of 1008
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymordos View Post
 

That dip is in the 3kHz zone though, that isn't the mids anymore, it is the treble area.

 

That's the perceived chart. :) This is measured:

 

post #86 of 1008
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjacq View Post
 

Very good thread, I enjoy it. And I wanted to ask, how different is the JH13 to you compared to the non-FP predecessor? Also I really like the number system. Looking forward to your review of the K10.

Very different. The non-FP really sounded quite messy to me next to the other CIEMs I had. The FP much better :)

post #87 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post
 

Very different. The non-FP really sounded quite messy to me next to the other CIEMs I had. The FP much better :)

 

That is a scary thought. I absolutely adore my non-FP although I've never heard the FP upgrade. But, I am planning on acquiring the JH Angie though so I might just leave the JH13 as non-FP altogether. If I may ask, do you have experience with Angie as well?

post #88 of 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post
 

 

Laptop -> Cheap USB Cable (Amazon Basics, lol) -> Chord Hugo -> 2 inch TRRS to TRS adapter, OCC -> Stock.

 

I had to add that adapter because the stock cable on mine has a termination that can't fit the Hugo's recessed sockets. I have a few of these adapters lying around so I just use them.

 

PS, I went to check, yes my JH13 FP have 3 bores.

Thanks for the adjustments in terminology. We're now mostly on the same page. There's a reason I'm back to the TWAG V3 on my FPs. 

post #89 of 1008
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

Thanks for the adjustments in terminology. We're now mostly on the same page. There's a reason I'm back to the TWAG V3 on my FPs. 

Glad to hear! Thanks for the feedback :)

post #90 of 1008
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjacq View Post
 

 

That is a scary thought. I absolutely adore my non-FP although I've never heard the FP upgrade. But, I am planning on acquiring the JH Angie though so I might just leave the JH13 as non-FP altogether. If I may ask, do you have experience with Angie as well?

Not much. Just auditioned them, but I really did like them when I tried them out. The Angie and JH13 are very different, though. I would rather go down that path, although obviously cost for JH13 upgrade vs Angie is very different.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13, 5:K10, 4:BD4.2, 3:A12, 2:W500, 1:SE5U)