or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SENNHEISER HD 598 VS AKG K 550
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SENNHEISER HD 598 VS AKG K 550

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I'm planning to upgrade my cans. And my choices are these two. I want to know how they compare in terms of sound quality ONLY. It would be better if someone has these two and can compare them side by side. I know that the former is open and the latter closed. I just want to know what sounds better overall aka more realistic.

Any input would be truly appreciated!
post #2 of 17
One is open air and the other closed... Why would these be your choices rather than both since they serve two different purposes. See my sig its OK to have more than one pair depending on what you want them for.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSandDigital View Post

One is open air and the other closed... Why would these be your choices rather than both since they serve two different purposes. See my sig its OK to have more than one pair depending on what you want them for.
Well I cant afford to get them both..

I just want to know how they compare in terms of sound quality (detail, transparency, imaging, so on and so forth..)

Well they are still both headphones.. And so they can still be compared.
Edited by ScarboroughFair - 4/15/15 at 5:48am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarboroughFair View Post

Well I cant afford to get them both..
I just want to know how they compare in terms of sound quality (detail, transparency, imaging, so on and so forth..)
Well they are still both headphones.. And so they can still be compared.

 

I do not think there is a huge difference between the HD598 and K550s.

Check out the AKG K553s.

post #5 of 17
HD598 has a mellow sound to me. AkG K550 bass has better extension and just better. Also has more lively sound but treble on HD598 I think sounds more natural. I prefer K550. Ypu can order both from Amazon and return one. It is no hassle and Amazon refunds very quickly.
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your inputs especially SSanDigital.
But how do they compare in terms of soundstage height and width? You think the AKG is the better can?

And I don't know if amazon will ship through my country. And if it does I think it will get taxed abusively. I envy guys that get their stuff from amazon.. so cheap and great customer service. Our headphone prices here are the price when they are first released. And it never goes down.. Just up.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarboroughFair View Post

Thanks for your inputs especially SSanDigital.
But how do they compare in terms of soundstage height and width? You think the AKG is the better can?

And I don't know if amazon will ship through my country. And if it does I think it will get taxed abusively. I envy guys that get their stuff from amazon.. so cheap and great customer service. Our headphone prices here are the price when they are first released. And it never goes down.. Just up.

 

I've only heard HD598 a few times but I owned the HD650 for a while.  The HD598 is a more forward, easier to amp headphone, but the "Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement" and drivers similar to HD650.  Anyway, the open air headphones have a more expansive soundstage.  K550 being closed the soundstage is not as expansive.  But it's surprisingly airy and wide for a closed headphone, some think it's too artificial, but I like it. 

 

Anyway, if you want a more accurate, natural sounding headphone with good soundstage, I think you should give HD598 a chance.


Edited by SSandDigital - 4/15/15 at 5:40pm
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks again for your response. beerchug.gif

Since you prefer the K550 over the HD598. How does the AKG compare to the higher HD 650? I've read in another thread that the AKG is in a different league than the HD598.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarboroughFair View Post

Thanks again for your response. beerchug.gif

Since you prefer the K550 over the HD598. How does the AKG compare to the higher HD 650? I've read in another thread that the AKG is in a different league than the HD598.

 

It's my ears and my preference.  Yours may differ from mine.  But I revised above and think HD598 may fit your needs better than K550.  But keep in mind HD598 will not isolate sound at all, and it will leak sound as well.  K550 will isolate better and doesn't leak as much.

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSandDigital View Post

It's my ears and my preference.  Yours may differ from mine.  But I revised above and think HD598 may fit your needs better than K550.  But keep in mind HD598 will not isolate sound at all, and it will leak sound as well.  K550 will isolate better and doesn't leak as much.
Yes I understand that. But I'm asking how you find K550 against the HD650 since you owned it for awhile as you stated? I want to know how it compares to cans in a different league. I apologise for pestering you with my questions..
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarboroughFair View Post


Yes I understand that. But I'm asking how you find K550 against the HD650 since you owned it for awhile as you stated? I want to know how it compares to cans in a different league. I apologize for pestering you with my questions..

 

If you get the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD650, then your going to have to also invest in a decent headphone amplifier.

But the K550 does decently well without a dedicated headphone amplifier.

 

Any chance you can get the HD558, it's really almost as good as the HD598.

 

What country are you in?

post #12 of 17

I think it would be quite helpful to do a comparison. In contrast to the 598, the HD598 are quite affordable to most for a beg head fi headphone, and they do sound good.

Also, yes the foam mod "works" when done on the 598 in that it opens up the headphones, bass is more prominent but still remain tight (this is a popular mod that is well known in the head-fi community).

post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

If you get the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD650, then your going to have to also invest in a decent headphone amplifier.
But the K550 does decently well without a dedicated headphone amplifier.

Any chance you can get the HD558, it's really almost as good as the HD598.

What country are you in?
They are priced similarly here. And judging how low the other head-fiers get the HD 558. It's kinda unfair for me to still get, since it cost around 300$ here in the Philippines. Eletronics here are costly.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarboroughFair View Post


They are priced similarly here. And judging how low the other head-fiers get the HD 558. It's kinda unfair for me to still get, since it cost around 300$ here in the Philippines. Eletronics here are costly.

 

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, $170.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261822695208?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post #15 of 17
I have HD 558 which sound very similar to 598 and listened to K550 a couple of weeks ago. These headphones can't be more different from each other. 558 are warner, laid back and balanced. The bass is not very fast but clear. Highs can sound artificial, harsh and disconnected with bad and highly compressed recordings. K550 have very articulated and emphasised highs which sound analytical and forward. The bass is tight and extended with smooth transition to the mids. AKGs offer more detail, sound more spacious due to the extended top and bottom than 558 but the highs have too much energy to me making them fatiguing. 558 are more musical and easier to listen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › SENNHEISER HD 598 VS AKG K 550