or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DT 990 pro Vs ATH-AD900 VS 598's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DT 990 pro Vs ATH-AD900 VS 598's

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I listen to mostly to EDM,Rock,hip/hop and indie. I would want a pretty good amount of comfort so that would be a large factor.

 

At this point I dont have an amp, but id be willing to spend $75 on an amp.

 

I cant decide between these headphones

 

- DT 990 pro

 

-ATH-AD9000

 

- 598's

post #2 of 16
The DT990s would have more bass emphasis, if that's important for you for EDM and hip hop.

The HD598s and AD900s generally don't need an amp. The DT990 Pro 250s would generally need one.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The DT990s would have more bass emphasis, if that's important for you for EDM and hip hop.

The HD598s and AD900s generally don't need an amp. The DT990 Pro 250s would generally need one.
How would the sound of the DT990 pro 250s sound with a $75 amp. Compared to the Ath-m50x without an amp?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapaplis View Post
 

I listen to mostly to EDM,Rock,hip/hop and indie. I would want a pretty good amount of comfort so that would be a large factor.

At this point I don't have an amp, but id be willing to spend $75 on an amp.

I cant decide between these headphones

- DT 990 pro

-ATH-AD9000

- 598's

 

What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

 

I own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, ATH-A900X (closed) & HD558 headphones.

Of the three options you listed, I think I would take the ATH-AD900X (assuming ATH-AD9000 is a miss-spelling)

The AD900X is only 40-Ohms, so can work fairly well with out an amplifier, but using a decent quality (low impedance) headphone amplifier with it is a plus.

It also has better mids then the DT990.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, $170

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261822695208?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

 

The HD598s are well liked, but you can get the cheaper HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups and get them it sound somewhat more like the HD598s

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver.

 

The DT990s strong bass/treble slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

Good headphone if your looking for a "movie theater" type sound, but really has to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.

I prefer the more balanced sound of the AD900X.

post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapaplis View Post

How would the sound of the DT990 pro 250s sound with a $75 amp. Compared to the Ath-m50x without an amp?

Worst case is that they might not get as loud. Might be about the same. But I don't know.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 

For now I would plug them into my laptop but in the next months I would get a beginner amp.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapaplis View Post
 

For now I would plug them into my laptop but in the next months I would get a beginner amp.

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?

 

I own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, ATH-A900X (closed) & HD558 headphones.

Of the three options you listed, I think I would take the ATH-AD900X (assuming ATH-AD9000 is a miss-spelling)

The AD900X is only 40-Ohms, so can work fairly well with out an amplifier, but using a decent quality (low impedance) headphone amplifier with it is a plus.

It also has better mids then the DT990.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, $170

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261822695208?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

 

The HD598s are well liked, but you can get the cheaper HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups and get them it sound somewhat more like the HD598s

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver.

 

The DT990s strong bass/treble slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

Good headphone if your looking for a "movie theater" type sound, but really has to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.

I prefer the more balanced sound of the AD900X.

So for my music and a $200 price range + $75 for an amp (later on), which ones would you reccomend (I also want them to be comfortable)

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Worst case is that they might not get as loud. Might be about the same. But I don't know.

I will be getting a beginner amp less then a month after I pick my headphones
post #10 of 16
You'd be fine. They will still "work" without the amp. Won't hurt your laptop or the headphones. You'll just enjoy them more when you get the amp smily_headphones1.gif
post #11 of 16

I don't know that I could recommend the HD 598 given the music genres that you listed. Don't get me wrong they are awesome headphones and I love mine. They are super comfortable, sound great, and while they benefit from an amp they can still be used without one if needed. They do lack lower bass though. Normal bass is fine and the vast majority of songs will sound great, but on the occasional tracks that have lower bass frequencies you'll definitely notice when the bass volume falls off of a cliff.

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapaplis View Post
 

So for my music and a $200 price range + $75 for an amp (later on), which ones would you recommend (I also want them to be comfortable)

 

A FiiO E10K ($76) or Schiit Fulla ($79), both are USB-DAC-amps, should offer improvement over whatever audio hardware is built into most laptops.

and either one can easily drive the ATH-AD900X (still my pick).

The HD598 would easily be driven by the E10K or Fulla.

Chances are the 250-Ohm DT990 would be decently well driven by them too.

 

Here are a few thread where you can find discussions about the AD900X.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x

http://www.head-fi.org/t/659504/audio-technica-ath-ad900x-appreciation-thread

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

A FiiO E10K ($76) or Schiit Fulla ($79), both are USB-DAC-amps, should offer improvement over whatever audio hardware is built into most laptops.
and either one can easily drive the ATH-AD900X (still my pick).
The HD598 would easily be driven by the E10K or Fulla.
Chances are the 250-Ohm DT990 would be decently well driven by them too.

Here are a few thread where you can find discussions about the AD900X.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x
http://www.head-fi.org/t/659504/audio-technica-ath-ad900x-appreciation-thread

Would you recommend the closed or open back 900's?
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapaplis View Post

Would you recommend the closed or open back 900's?

 

I have the A900X closed headphones.

With Audio Technica, for their headphones under $300, usually the open version is a little more liked.

The A900X would have more a little more bass then the AD900X, but the AD900X should do a little better in all the other areas.

post #15 of 16
How much do you like bass?

I like the AD900x overall but you might be disappointed if youre looking for a really solid bass response.

DT-990 will work fine with a basic amp like the ones PurpleAngel mentioned. I used mine with a cheap CMOY. That would be my recommendation based on your music genres.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DT 990 pro Vs ATH-AD900 VS 598's