or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › ☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? - Page 14

post #196 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeight View Post
 

 

Yes there is. Sometimes the 4 Pin connector on headphones is wired for only 3 Pin operation (SE mode). This was more common a few years back, but still sometimes happens. What this does is to connect the negative outputs from the two balanced amps together thinking that they are the ground wires. This could damage the amps. Although if you don't run the volume too high everything can handle it for a while.

 

If you stick with well understood adapters you shouldn't have any problems.

 

Assuming I manage to get one of the carbon amps, here's the combo I'm thinking of trying with my Oppo PM-3:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Supertech-Premium-Compatible-Smartphones-computers/dp/B00PLTXJIU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

71euikR3xEL._SL1500_.jpg

 

and something like this:

http://www.btg-audio.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=162399926

 

TRRS to 4-pin XLR adapter

 

I realize it would be easier to just have a 3.5mm trrs to 4-pin xlr made for the PM-3 but my hope is, if this works, that I could use other headphones balanced in a similar way as long as I can get a 3.5mm trrs termination from them.


Edited by gr8soundz - 4/13/15 at 8:43pm
post #197 of 5931
All of my headphones except the Oppo pm-3 are balanced, but that one doesn't require much juice. Balanced is the way to go for harder to drive headphones.
post #198 of 5931

HE-560 with a balanced YFS Super30 Litz cable at the ready for a Liquid Carbon order.

as long as zerodeefex doesn't snag them all first.  :wink_face:

har har

post #199 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8soundz View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

 

If you have a balanced cable for the Z7, you could snip the ends and rewire it to XLR.  XLR is the easy mode soldering.  :-D

 

Yeah, I thought of modding the stock balanced cable but (again, maybe I think too far ahead) wanted to keep it stock in case I get my hands on a Pono player or maybe even a cheap PHA-3 in the future.

 

Wish I could spring for something like this:

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=171&zenid=ce80e4527ba576acd7f7c92b082d39c6

 

But, at $350 for the basic set (doesn't have all the connectors I believe), I'm better off upgrading to a higher amp or headphone.

 

 

Looks like the cable is a dual 3.5mm TRS termination? Sorry, I'm not super familiar with that headphone, so you'll have to confirm. It would be relatively easy to make a dual 3.5mm (female) adapter to 4 pin xlr, or RSA. Total cost for parts would be something like $20. 

post #200 of 5931

I don't believe the Oppo PM-3 is internally wired for balanced.  Last I heard was that the cable jack in the left ear cup is just a 3 pin TRS connection and not a 4 pin connection that would allow for balanced.  The Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 can be easily converted to balanced with just a cable change (and Oppo sells the balanced cable to do that).  But the PM-3 isn't like that, as far as I know.

 

I have a LCD-2 and Audeze sells a balanced cable for it for just $80.

I also have a HE-560 and a Norne Audio adapter cable for it that allows me to use a balanced Audeze cable with it.

post #201 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

 

Looks like the cable is a dual 3.5mm TRS termination? Sorry, I'm not super familiar with that headphone, so you'll have to confirm. It would be relatively easy to make a dual 3.5mm (female) adapter to 4 pin xlr, or RSA. Total cost for parts would be something like $20. 

 

Right, the Z7 stock is dual TRS.

 

Any pics of such an adapter completed? (I've seen dual 3-pin xlr adapters). Post 'em or PM me if so.

post #202 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8soundz View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

 

Looks like the cable is a dual 3.5mm TRS termination? Sorry, I'm not super familiar with that headphone, so you'll have to confirm. It would be relatively easy to make a dual 3.5mm (female) adapter to 4 pin xlr, or RSA. Total cost for parts would be something like $20. 

 

Right, the Z7 stock is dual TRS.

 

Any pics of such an adapter completed? (I've seen dual 3-pin xlr adapters). Post 'em or PM me if so.

 

I don't have any built, but I've got similar adapters. Just imagine this, but with the female 3.5mm instead of the 3 pin XLRs (red and yellow)

 

 

post #203 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
 

I don't believe the Oppo PM-3 is internally wired for balanced.  Last I heard was that the cable jack in the left ear cup is just a 3 pin TRS connection and not a 4 pin connection that would allow for balanced.  The Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 can be easily converted to balanced with just a cable change (and Oppo sells the balanced cable to do that).  But the PM-3 isn't like that, as far as I know.

 

I have a LCD-2 and Audeze sells a balanced cable for it for just $80.

I also have a HE-560 and a Norne Audio adapter cable for it that allows me to use a balanced Audeze cable with it.

 

Can't find the exact post right now, but an Oppo rep here confirmed that they wired the PM-3s for 4-pins.

 

However, they had no plans to release a factory balanced cable.

 

Someone already had a custom cable made to work with their ak240:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/1050#post_11496246


Edited by gr8soundz - 4/13/15 at 9:05pm
post #204 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8soundz View Post
 

 

Can't find the exact post right now, but an Oppo rep here confirmed that they wired the PM-3s for 4-pins.

 

However, they had no plans to release a factory balanced cable.

 

Someone already had a custom cable made to work with their ak240:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/1050#post_11496246

I can confirm this.  It's wired for 4-pin if you want to go balanced.  I'll probably make one just to hear it (and cuz it will cost only like $10-20 in parts), but I don't suspect balanced will add much to that headphone.

post #205 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8soundz View Post

 

Right, the Z7 stock is dual TRS.

 

Any pics of such an adapter completed? (I've seen dual 3-pin xlr adapters). Post 'em or PM me if so.

 

TB1AmtuHpXXXXbiaXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_460x460.jpg

 

TB2dtZ4aVXXXXXDXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!22660051.jpg_460x460.jpg

 

TB2XU31aVXXXXaaXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!22660051.jpg_460x460.jpg

 

TB2OCo3aVXXXXcJXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!22660051.jpg_460x460.jpg

 

TB2vfkRaVXXXXX9XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!22660051.jpg_460x460.jpg

 

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=42300604499

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=42780582711

post #206 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

I can confirm this.  It's wired for 4-pin if you want to go balanced.  I'll probably make one just to hear it (and cuz it will cost only like $10-20 in parts), but I don't suspect balanced will add much to that headphone.

 

Oh neat!  They must have made a change just right before release.  I obviously haven't been following the PM-3 thread closely recently.  I did ask them during the development to please make it able to be balanced.

 

I'll get a to hear a PM-3 in two weeks at the Seattle head-fi meet.  Now that it can go balanced I'm even more interested.  Especially for use with my PonoPlayer and the Liquid Carbon.

post #207 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
 

 

Oh neat!  They must have made a change just right before release.  I obviously haven't been following the PM-3 thread closely recently.  I did ask them during the development to please make it able to be balanced.

 

I'll get a to hear a PM-3 in two weeks at the Seattle head-fi meet.  Now that it can go balanced I'm even more interested.  Especially for use with my PonoPlayer and the Liquid Carbon.

 

The problem with trying to make the PM-3 balanced is to find a small enough TRRS plug that can fit into the PM-3 side. Someone posted a link to a cable from Amazon and while that certainly looks small, I'm not sure if it is small enough. 

 

EDIT: I took a look at the Amazon link and found out that the plug housing can be removed! That will definitely fit into the PM-3 and is a cheap option to convert the PM-3 to balanced!


Edited by xuan87 - 4/13/15 at 11:37pm
post #208 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
 

 

The problem with trying to make the PM-3 balanced is to find a small enough TRRS plug that can fit into the PM-3 side. Someone posted a link to a cable from Amazon and while that certainly looks small, I'm not sure if it is small enough. 

 

I posted the link.

 

Part of the metal sleeve can be removed:

71-Jsw95pSL._SL1500_.jpg 

 

Hopefully it will fit.


Edited by gr8soundz - 4/13/15 at 11:44pm
post #209 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
 

 

The problem with trying to make the PM-3 balanced is to find a small enough TRRS plug that can fit into the PM-3 side. Someone posted a link to a cable from Amazon and while that certainly looks small, I'm not sure if it is small enough. 

 

EDIT: I took a look at the Amazon link and found out that the plug housing can be removed! That will definitely fit into the PM-3 and is a cheap option to convert the PM-3 to balanced!

 

Awesome!  I like it when a plan begins to come together.  I'll have to look much more seriously at the PM-3 now.

This is shaping up to be a good year for headphone audio gear.  New Cavalli amps, new headphones, new portables, new DACs.

post #210 of 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
 

 

Awesome!  I like it when a plan begins to come together.

 

Glad I could help.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › ☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???