or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › RMAA in Wine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RMAA in Wine

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I decided to give RMAA a shot and loaded it up in Wine1.7 on Ubuntu 14.04. Here are my results at 24/44.1 for my sound-card loopback. They seem a bit too good…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmVtb5IwniEOWVIYk5VaG9XZlU/view?usp=sharing

 

Anyone use this program in Wine and know settings verified to work?

post #2 of 9

can't read the html source - a common problem is being sure you're looking at the analog loopback though your cable between line in/out instead of looking at digital-digital path through the soundcard sw mixer


Edited by jcx - 3/22/15 at 7:04pm
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
 

can't read the html source - a common problem is being sure you have analog loopback instead of looking at digital-digital path through the soundcard sw mixer

 

Ok, I'll see if I can verify that. Here's the PDF of that html:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmVtb5IwniESm5IT1dIOTFLRDA/view?usp=sharing

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
 

can't read the html source - a common problem is being sure you're looking at the analog loopback though your cable between line in/out instead of looking at digital-digital path through the soundcard sw mixer

just click download and open it in the browser.

 

I tried RMAA on my laptop with windowwwz and the loopback gave me something like around 80db of dynamic too much distortion, and rubbish crosstalk(measuring DAPs with the input gave me the same kind of values so I gave up on that input and on RMAA).

 

but yeah if your measurements are that amazing I want an amp like that!!!!! :biggrin: .

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post
 

just click download and open it in the browser.

 

I tried RMAA on my laptop with windowwwz and the loopback gave me something like around 80db of dynamic too much distortion, and rubbish crosstalk(measuring DAPs with the input gave me the same kind of values so I gave up on that input and on RMAA).

 

but yeah if your measurements are amazing I want an amp like that!!!!! :biggrin: .

 

Well the first thing I tried was manually recording an impulse and looking at various outputs on my own, but as I'm still learning this stuff I wanted to see if anything jived with what RMAA would give. Here's what I got for my DAC/ADC loopback:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmVtb5IwniEdmh3dTlDaGlXeFE/view?usp=sharing

(the 4 pics are, l/r t/b: spectrum, moving-averaged spectrum, phase delay, group delay, or at lest my attempts at calculating these :D)

post #6 of 9

RMAA should work fine on Linux with Wine, I have successfully used it, and also other audio related software, such as foobar2000, Audio DiffMaker, Cool Edit Pro, Visual Analyser, and others. Make sure that the audio device(s) and API are selected correctly. The default audio devices for Windows applications can be configured with the winecfg utility.

 

I prefer to use only ALSA on Linux, and actually deleted almost all PulseAudio packages, with the exception of a couple libraries that would break dependencies if removed. So, I cannot comment on how well Wine works with PulseAudio. ALSA 'hw' devices are bit perfect, and 'plughw' (I think those are what Wine uses) should be OK, too, as long as the sample rate is supported by the hardware.

 

The old Windows MME (waveOut/waveIn) API is emulated well by Wine, and WASAPI seems to work in foobar2000 in "push" mode. With either of these, sound quality should not be affected. The last time I checked, DirectSound was not bit perfect in Wine.

 

If you get a "perfect" result in RMAA, then you might have used a digital loopback. Perhaps it is a PulseAudio issue ?

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post
 

RMAA should work fine on Linux with Wine, I have successfully used it, and also other audio related software, such as foobar2000, Audio DiffMaker, Cool Edit Pro, Visual Analyser, and others. Make sure that the audio device(s) and API are selected correctly. The default audio devices for Windows applications can be configured with the winecfg utility.

 

I prefer to use only ALSA on Linux, and actually deleted almost all PulseAudio packages, with the exception of a couple libraries that would break dependencies if removed. So, I cannot comment on how well Wine works with PulseAudio. ALSA 'hw' devices are bit perfect, and 'plughw' (I think those are what Wine uses) should be OK, too, as long as the sample rate is supported by the hardware.

 

The old Windows MME (waveOut/waveIn) API is emulated well by Wine, and WASAPI seems to work in foobar2000 in "push" mode. With either of these, sound quality should not be affected. The last time I checked, DirectSound was not bit perfect in Wine.

 

If you get a "perfect" result in RMAA, then you might have used a digital loopback. Perhaps it is a PulseAudio issue ?

 

I'm loathe to remove PA for potential effects on games. Is there any evidence it isn't bit-perfect if you set the right bit/sample spec and have volumes at 100%?

 

Here are the options I get in the drop-down for the playback devices in RMAA:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmVtb5IwniEeEd0cDNMTFZXVGc/view?usp=sharing

 

From what you say MME is what I should use, but that's what gave me what looks like a perfect result. I can confirm, however, that if I set RMAA to 24/192 but set PA to 16/44.1, the results look all kinds of wonky, which is what I would expect if the PA resampling is at work. Still, it could all be in the digital domain. Is there some way that you specify digital -> digital when you use it with ALSA?

post #8 of 9

I cannot give much useful advice on PulseAudio, but perhaps the actual input/output devices can be changed in the PulseAudio configuration ? With ALSA, I get a list of real device names in RMAA (and also in winecfg), so they can be selected the same way as on Windows:

 

The Wine AppDB page for RMAA is not helpful, as the last test result is from 2008. General information about sound in Wine can be found here, but it does not seem to cover this particular issue.

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post
 

I cannot give much useful advice on PulseAudio, but perhaps the actual input/output devices can be changed in the PulseAudio configuration ? With ALSA, I get a list of real device names in RMAA (and also in winecfg), so they can be selected the same way as on Windows:

 

The Wine AppDB page for RMAA is not helpful, as the last test result is from 2008. General information about sound in Wine can be found here, but it does not seem to cover this particular issue.

 

Yeah that kind of list is more what I'm expecting. In winecfg the only option for all the audio settings is literally Pulseaudio, so I'll definitely have to do some reading on how all that works together. Other apps I use (like mplayer and DeaDBeef) can send to ALSA directly; perhaps I can set up Wine to do the same (seems like the last link on the page you listed has info on that).

 

Ah, winetricks can set Wine to use ALSA. Going to give this a shot…

 

Success! Much more realistic #s here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmVtb5IwniEMGNreDZvU0taaEk/view?usp=sharing

 

Thanks for the ALSA idea.


Edited by RRod - 3/23/15 at 10:39am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › RMAA in Wine