or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions - Page 36

post #526 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Choiral View Post
 

But he had never mentioned anything about his other sets of cans though:tongue_smile:


Huh? That quote I posted is just a snip from his many posts he made comparing the PM-3 to several other cans.
Go back a few pages and read them. ;)

post #527 of 4793


The ADs, the PM3s, and my Zombie Apocalypse pack will be travelling with me to work. Should be a good 8 hours at the office.

Hopefully I can give you a better breakdown of their respective performance at work. That's where they will render 90% of their service to me afterall.
post #528 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
 


Huh? That quote I posted is just a snip from his many posts he made comparing the PM-3 to several other cans.
Go back a few pages and read them. ;)


My bad, wasn't very attantive:p I'd read his comparisons before posting

post #529 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puretfp View Post
 

I have been listening to a lot of rock with them and loving it, this morning  i put on "Who's Next" and man, that LP is sounding so good on these HP, also threw Thin Lizzy's Vagabonds Of the Western World" on as well as a bunch of Fugazi, Sabbath, Queen, and Funkadelic and it all sounds slamming, you'll def hear how well an LP was mixed/mastered (been listening to these via my AK120) 

 

The Who and Fugazi are good examples to listen to for electric guitars as they tend to stick to strict rhythms (not so much soloing) but even stuff like Funkadelic/Zep & Sabbath sounds excellent, nice warm and heavy fuzzy...

 

Thanks a lot sir ;)

 

I will probably buy them this week.

post #530 of 4793
Here's yet another review saying the same thing every other review has said:

http://youtu.be/icbRpPBFe0E
post #531 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

Dude - pics! Or not. Probably better not, public forum and all. Just a beard that Brian Johnson thinks is outrageous needs to be seen. Plus, at 56, I still can't grow a decent beard.
Here are a few pic, I tried taking of myself. I have not braided it yet today. Sunday's I let it breathe lol.

Still did not get the last inch lol. I am not good at selfies.
Edited by reddog - 3/22/15 at 1:59pm
post #532 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post

Here are a few pic, I tried taking of myself. I have not braided it yet today. Sunday's I let it breathe lol.

Still did not get the last inch lol. I am not good at selfies.
Lol, you need longer arms! Awesome beard by the way.
post #533 of 4793

I'm still really torn as whether I should get the PM-3 or Momentum M2s for my unamped portable use. 

While I've read some amazing impressions about how well balanced and detailed the Oppo pair are (for something closed) a part of me feels like it would be silly to get something that is essentially a gimped version of my home rig (Beyer T1 running off a Woo Audio 2). From what I've read about the Momentums they seem to be technically inferior but have a more "fun" sound to them. As much as I love the T1's tonal balance it would be nice to have something with more low end oomph for when I'm listening to something like Tswizzle. I also prefer the aesthetics of the Momentums even though they might have slightly worse build quality. 

There's certainly more buzz around the Oppo since they're a gorgeous pair of semi portable planars. If I were looking for something as my main pair of cans I'd definitely be getting the PM-3 but for something to complement the T1s I think I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser.

post #534 of 4793
nothing wrong with that
post #535 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post

Still did not get the last inch lol. I am not good at selfies.
You should get a selfie stick. XD
post #536 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
 

I'm still really torn as whether I should get the PM-3 or Momentum M2s for my unamped portable use. 

While I've read some amazing impressions about how well balanced and detailed the Oppo pair are (for something closed) a part of me feels like it would be silly to get something that is essentially a gimped version of my home rig (Beyer T1 running off a Woo Audio 2). From what I've read about the Momentums they seem to be technically inferior but have a more "fun" sound to them. As much as I love the T1's tonal balance it would be nice to have something with more low end oomph for when I'm listening to something like Tswizzle. I also prefer the aesthetics of the Momentums even though they might have slightly worse build quality. 

There's certainly more buzz around the Oppo since they're a gorgeous pair of semi portable planars. If I were looking for something as my main pair of cans I'd definitely be getting the PM-3 but for something to complement the T1s I think I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser.

 

I currently have both and I would neither call the M2s inferior nor worse in build quality.

 

The M2s are certainly different: lighter, more dynamic, slightly more portable (fully fold), very well built with real leather, less clamp force, and more versatile (bluetooth/ANC/usb dac).

 

I thought the M2s were more fun at first too yet I find myself listening almost exclusively to the PM-3s (for most genres, I prefer them; find the M2 better with 90s r&b for instance). The M2s still sound very, very good but the PM-3's separation, clarity, and sheer smoothness is unmatched by any of my other current phones. They're still very portable and $100 less msrp than the M2.

 

I'd say if you need wireless, noise cancelling, or want a usb dac without carrying extra equipment, get the M2. If you just want impressive sound and portability, get the PM-3.


Edited by gr8soundz - 3/22/15 at 2:34pm
post #537 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8soundz View Post

I currently have both and I would neither call the M2s inferior nor worse in build quality.

The M2s are certainly different: lighter, more dynamic, slightly more portable (fully fold), very well built with real leather, less clamp force, and more versatile (bluetooth/ANC/usb dac).

I thought the M2s were more fun at first too yet I find myself listening almost exclusively to the PM-3s (for most genres, I do prefer them; find the M2 better with 90s r&b for instance). The PM-3's separation, clarity, and sheer smoothness is unmatched by any of my other current phones. They're still very portable and $100 less msrp than the M2.

I'd say if you need wireless, noise cancelling, or want a usb dac without carrying extra equipment, get the M2. If you just want impressive sound and portability, get the PM-3.
Thanks for your impressions on these two amazing headphones. I will get the M 2 sometime, but for now I will go the pm-3.
post #538 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8soundz View Post

The M2s are certainly different: lighter, more dynamic, slightly more portable (fully fold),

I'd say if you need wireless, noise cancelling, or want a usb dac
I'd argue that a headphone that folds flat is actually more portable than a headphone that folds into a ball. With the V-MODA M-100, it folds into a ball and when I throw it into my backapack, it does exactly that; it creates a big ball of space in my backpack and it sinks to the bottom. It was kind of a nuisance to be honest since it would always get in the way. With headphones that fold flat like the PM-3, you can just lay it next to other stuff in the backpack without worrying about it making a large empty space above it.

I also wouldn't really consider the Momentum 2 an external USB DAC per se because it's built into the headphone itself and you can only use the DAC feature with the headphone. Also, the DAC specs are completely unlisted and I'm assuming it only works with audio up to 24/96 if it's driverless.
Edited by miceblue - 3/22/15 at 2:44pm
post #539 of 4793

I'm actually comparing the wired versions which are priced at $499 for the Momentums and $549 for the Oppo here. Does anyone own the T1s? Would be nice to get an opinion on how similar the PM-3s sound. I'll be using these on trips and around the house, but not for walking around in public.

post #540 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
 

I'm still really torn as whether I should get the PM-3 or Momentum M2s for my unamped portable use. 

While I've read some amazing impressions about how well balanced and detailed the Oppo pair are (for something closed) a part of me feels like it would be silly to get something that is essentially a gimped version of my home rig (Beyer T1 running off a Woo Audio 2). From what I've read about the Momentums they seem to be technically inferior but have a more "fun" sound to them. As much as I love the T1's tonal balance it would be nice to have something with more low end oomph for when I'm listening to something like Tswizzle. I also prefer the aesthetics of the Momentums even though they might have slightly worse build quality. 

There's certainly more buzz around the Oppo since they're a gorgeous pair of semi portable planars. If I were looking for something as my main pair of cans I'd definitely be getting the PM-3 but for something to complement the T1s I think I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser.

I've heard the T1 has an overall gradual u-shaped sound signature, so maybe the momentums might be closer to the sound sig you will enjoy

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions