or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions - Page 73

post #1081 of 4793

Hey all,

 

I'm pretty new to this so apologies if my vocabulary is lacking when it comes to describing sound...

 

My PM-3s arrived yesterday & I was really excited to get them onto my head. I plugged them into my ALO Intl+, hit play on my phone &... was disappointed. The mids sounded muffled - drums & guitars were distant & washed out. Every change-up came & went without any satisfying punch. My girlfriend tried them & said, “yeah, something’s missing.” Switching back to my old Sennheiser HD25s left me bummed out. My £120 headphones sounded much better. I got the same result when plugging them directly into my laptop.

 

I started messing with the EQ & found that if I pulled it down by 6db at 500hz & then gradually pushed the treble & bass up to +6db (forming a 'V'), the PM-3s sounded a lot better. Toggling the EQ on & off sounds almost like dunking my head underwater…

 

Does what I'm describing sound normal? Is that an acceptable amount of EQ'ing to get something to sound good? I feel strange about having to tweak the sound so hard before getting a favourable result. Is there any chance that they might be defective? Or is this just the sound signature of planar mags? Will burn-in help with the mid section?

 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Big thanks in advance!

 

B.

post #1082 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanjones View Post
 

Hey all,

 

I'm pretty new to this so apologies if my vocabulary is lacking when it comes to describing sound...

 

My PM-3s arrived yesterday & I was really excited to get them onto my head. I plugged them into my ALO Intl+, hit play on my phone &... was disappointed. The mids sounded muffled - drums & guitars were distant & washed out. Every change-up came & went without any satisfying punch. My girlfriend tried them & said, “yeah, something’s missing.” Switching back to my old Sennheiser HD25s left me bummed out. My £120 headphones sounded much better. I got the same result when plugging them directly into my laptop.

 

I started messing with the EQ & found that if I pulled it down by 6db at 500hz & then gradually pushed the treble & bass up to +6db (forming a 'V'), the PM-3s sounded a lot better. Toggling the EQ on & off sounds almost like dunking my head underwater…

 

Does what I'm describing sound normal? Is that an acceptable amount of EQ'ing to get something to sound good? I feel strange about having to tweak the sound so hard before getting a favourable result. Is there any chance that they might be defective? Or is this just the sound signature of planar mags? Will burn-in help with the mid section?

 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Big thanks in advance!

 

B.

 

I don't think it's normal. I don't like EQ'ing myself. It seems, like some others described, PM-3s are just too laid back, lacking any excitement for modern genres such as EDM, pop, rock. I was going to buy these but I'm glad I have not, for now. They're still on my list but I'll wait for more impressions and professional reviews.

post #1083 of 4793

Thanks Obsidiyen, I'll give them a longer listen today & see how I go. Not sure about the exchange policy from the place I bought them from.

 

Cheers!

post #1084 of 4793

Anyone tried both the Shure SRH1540s and the PM-3s? Any thoughts or comparisons between the two?

post #1085 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanjones View Post
 

Thanks Obsidiyen, I'll give them a longer listen today & see how I go. Not sure about the exchange policy from the place I bought them from.

 

Cheers!

Not gonna lie, the pair I initially auditioned I wasn't the biggest fan of compared to my denon mm400's. I really wanted to give them a chance though so I ended up buying a pair to take home for a longer listen with my own stuff. I liked my pair more than the others right out of the box (they sounded a bit more engaging) and after giving them a few hours so I could get used to the sound I've ended up really enjoying them. For me they have plenty of punch in the bass for edm and it's also really fast, the notes end exactly when they need to, no lingering around to make the music sound a bit... bloated or congested?

 

I would ideally like just a tad more sparkle in the treble but I've definitely gotten used to the smoother sound now and I find it really addictive. I've been really enjoying the last few days though, I would highly recommend giving them some time so you can get used to it. It's a little bit of a shock if you're coming from much more 'intense' sounding cans such as the hd25's.

post #1086 of 4793
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanjones View Post

Thanks Obsidiyen, I'll give them a longer listen today & see how I go. Not sure about the exchange policy from the place I bought them from.

Cheers!

Which cable did you use?
post #1087 of 4793

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't aware that the Sennheisers were notorious for being an aggressive sounding headphone. My main concern was that I hadn't received a dud pair of PM-3s! They are super comfortable, so I'd like them to work out for me. I'll spend some proper time with them today.

 

I was using the 3m cable but have switched to the shorter one (without remotes) now that I'm at work.

post #1088 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Snarly View Post
 

Not gonna lie, the pair I initially auditioned I wasn't the biggest fan of compared to my denon mm400's. I really wanted to give them a chance though so I ended up buying a pair to take home for a longer listen with my own stuff. I liked my pair more than the others right out of the box (they sounded a bit more engaging) and after giving them a few hours so I could get used to the sound I've ended up really enjoying them. For me they have plenty of punch in the bass for edm and it's also really fast, the notes end exactly when they need to, no lingering around to make the music sound a bit... bloated or congested?

 

I would ideally like just a tad more sparkle in the treble but I've definitely gotten used to the smoother sound now and I find it really addictive. I've been really enjoying the last few days though, I would highly recommend giving them some time so you can get used to it. It's a little bit of a shock if you're coming from much more 'intense' sounding cans such as the hd25's.

 

Interesting... Brain burn-in at work. :p Anyway, let's see what Tyll will say. I wish these sounded more exciting though. These are still on my list but we'll see. I'm also wondering about Final Audio's upcoming Hope VIII and Hope X headphones. EL-8 seems to be a major disappointment so they're off the list, sadly.

post #1089 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Snarly View Post
 

Not gonna lie, the pair I initially auditioned I wasn't the biggest fan of compared to my denon mm400's. I really wanted to give them a chance though so I ended up buying a pair to take home for a longer listen with my own stuff. I liked my pair more than the others right out of the box (they sounded a bit more engaging) and after giving them a few hours so I could get used to the sound I've ended up really enjoying them. For me they have plenty of punch in the bass for edm and it's also really fast, the notes end exactly when they need to, no lingering around to make the music sound a bit... bloated or congested?

 

I would ideally like just a tad more sparkle in the treble but I've definitely gotten used to the smoother sound now and I find it really addictive. I've been really enjoying the last few days though, I would highly recommend giving them some time so you can get used to it. It's a little bit of a shock if you're coming from much more 'intense' sounding cans such as the hd25's.

 

If I did exchange them, the mm400's are probably what I'd go for. Might do some reading on here while I'm rocking out...

post #1090 of 4793

To my taste the PM-3 is not a real engaging hp. It is a fast hp and does have punch. I love the comfort and build quality. I still owe some sq comments between the X2, M2 and Velvets. Comments coming I have just been busy at work. If you have questions I can give some replies.

post #1091 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post
 

 

Interesting... Brain burn-in at work. :p Anyway, let's see what Tyll will say. I wish these sounded more exciting though. These are still on my list but we'll see. I'm also wondering about Final Audio's upcoming Hope VIII and Hope X headphones. EL-8 seems to be a major disappointment so they're off the list, sadly.


By exciting do you mean V shaped?

post #1092 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy812 View Post
 

To my taste the PM-3 is not a real engaging hp. It is a fast hp and does have punch. I love the comfort and build quality. I still owe some sq comments between the X2, M2 and Velvets. Comments coming I have just been busy at work. If you have questions I can give some replies.


I'd love to hear your thoughts re the Velvets (because I'm debating getting the Velvets) :D

post #1093 of 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by avl06 View Post
 


By exciting do you mean V shaped?

No... I dislike v-shaped headphones like TH600/900, they are harsh to my ears due to sibilance and excessive treble. I mean a sound signature like Earsonics Velvet. It's perfect. Philips Fidelio X2 is great too. A planar magnetic with Fidelio X2 sound signature would be really good. Not far from neutral with good bass and a big soundstage, basically a high-end club sound system.


Edited by obsidyen - 4/14/15 at 5:03am
post #1094 of 4793

Just want to say, just because they aren't the most exciting sounding headphones, doesn't mean I think they're bad at all. They're going to take the spot my sony mdr 1r's used to occupy. Comfy for long listening and perfect for background music while working on uni stuff or relaxing before bed. Luckily enough I have a couple of other choices for headphones when I want to listen to something with a bit more sparkle.

Also thought I'd mention - my apex glacier makes these sound a bit more exciting too. It's a really clear, neutral dac/amp and it just injects a bit more PRaT, expands the soundstage a bit and adds some punch to the bass. Pretty small change compared to with some headphones I've heard but it's barely enough to push them over the edge to where they're exciting to listen to without ever getting fatiguing. Really happy with the combo!

post #1095 of 4793
Thread Starter 
Exciting or fun sounding to one may be different from another. I would take the 'not exciting' or 'not fun' comment with a grain of sand... (Sorry more sand here than salt. smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions