or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › B&O Beoplay H6 vs Bose QC25 - A Commuter's Dilemma
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

B&O Beoplay H6 vs Bose QC25 - A Commuter's Dilemma

Poll Results: Beoplay H6 vs Bose QC25

 
  • 50% (2)
    Bose QC 25
  • 50% (2)
    B&O BeoPlay H6
4 Total Votes  
post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hello audio experts,

 

I am writing to you as I have spend hours and hours of research on this topic and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please, oh please audiophile geniuses, help me out!


I was looking for a pair of headphones up to 200 Pounds to make life in London a bit easier. I was looking to find something to enjoy my music (a wide variety of styles) on the  London Tube/ In the Office/ At home. After 25+ Hours of research I found out that Bose QC25 would be the best fit for me due to their excellent NC capabilities and comfort (this is really important for me). It's worth saying that I considered in-ear monitors - I tried couple of pairs, but my ears start hurting really quickly and I just can't handle the sound coming so close to my ear drum (I know, I know - quite the fragile ears)

 

I purchased a set of Bose QC25 for a very good price (180 Pounds), however I am starting  to question if I made the right choice, given the fact that I saw the B&O Beoplay H6 for 180 pounds as well. After reading about them, I saw that there is a general consensus that they are quite incredible - far better than the sound you get out of the QC's. Also, I have the bad feeling that the Bose is causing light headaches and a bit of nausea feeling, which I am still trying to determine.

 

I can't seem to wrap my head around one thing though - how good are the B&O's in blocking outside noise? Would their excellent pads and Over-ear design be able to block the (horribly) noisy London Tube and a loud office? Do you think it's better to stick with the Bose?

 

As a struggling-to-be audiophile (still early in my career) would it be better to stick with the bose and invest for a set of good Open Back Headphones like the Sennheiser HD598 to enjoy at home?

 

 

Thank you so much guys, your opinion is much appreciated!

 

p.s. As a consultant, my job requires me to travel most of the time via tube/ train and (rarely) via plane. Hope this helps!

post #2 of 10
The Bose QC25 are acknowledged to have fantastic active noise cancellation. But are you sure regular over ear closed headphones wouldn't give you enough isolation? On airplanes, I sometimes wish I had the Bose. But in other environments, I very rarely have ever felt the need.

The reason I ask is that if you take the active noise cancellation out of the equation, there are definitely better sounding headphones than the QC25. If you can make it out to HiFiHeadphones, I understand that they have many headphones to demo: http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/. They are a sponsor here: http://www.head-fi.org/hifiheadphones
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Bose QC25 are acknowledged to have fantastic active noise cancellation. But are you sure regular over ear closed headphones wouldn't give you enough isolation? On airplanes, I sometimes wish I had the Bose. But in other environments, I very rarely have ever felt the need.

The reason I ask is that if you take the active noise cancellation out of the equation, there are definitely better sounding headphones than the QC25. If you can make it out to HiFiHeadphones, I understand that they have many headphones to demo: http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/. They are a sponsor here: http://www.head-fi.org/hifiheadphones

Hey,

Thanks for your recommendation! I definitely have to go and check it out smily_headphones1.gif the only reason I considered ANC is because it kept on appearing in posts/ replies regarding best way to commute. Peiple kept on saying - regardless of tube/plane/ bus/ train ANC is the way to go if you want peace and quiet (since my job can get quite stressful, I really need some relaxation on my way to and from work, which is usually an hour long commute each way)

What do you think would a regular over ear set of headphones (like the Beoplay) be a better choice?
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Bose QC25 are acknowledged to have fantastic active noise cancellation. But are you sure regular over ear closed headphones wouldn't give you enough isolation? On airplanes, I sometimes wish I had the Bose. But in other environments, I very rarely have ever felt the need.

The reason I ask is that if you take the active noise cancellation out of the equation, there are definitely better sounding headphones than the QC25. If you can make it out to HiFiHeadphones, I understand that they have many headphones to demo

Thanks for your advice! I will definitely try to check it out!

I don't really know if active noise cancelling is that important for me tbh. It's just that when I started researching about best over ear headphone for travelling ANC kept on coming up smily_headphones1.gif all I want is a pair of over ear headphones that would allow me to listen to normal level of music on the crowded/ loud London tube.

What do you think? Would the Beoplay be able to do that?
Also would I be able to test that by just keeping the bose nc off on the tube to see the difference?
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity1605 View Post

What do you think? Would the Beoplay be able to do that?

I have no idea. I have not listened to the Beoplay, and your expectations of enough isolation would likely be different than mine (it's a subjective evaluation) and is also related to what volume you typically listen to.

What I do know is that there are many headphones in the QC25 price range that many Head-Fiers typically feel have better audio quality. The QC25 are not considered a great value in audio quality/price performance class if you take away the ANC. Moreover, headphones have different sonic qualities. If you go listen to a bunch, you might find a pair for the same money as the QC25 that blows you away in comparison. So I would not jump on the Beoplay without listening to other headphones. There is no substitute for that smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity1605 View Post

Also would I be able to test that by just keeping the bose nc off on the tube to see the difference?

That sounds like a good experiment that could give you some idea. Or, if you go to hifiheadphones, if you find a couple of pairs you like, perhaps they have a display area where you can listen with music playing in the background off speakers to test the isolation.
post #6 of 10

Are my ears a'burning?

 

Actually we got some B&O H6 quite recently (they've yet to be added to the site) but I've got our demo pair next to me - it seems the £180 price is the exception rather than the rule (it wouldn't be on Amazon by any chance would it?) - the real price is more towards £300 for these. As with Bose, the name pushes the price up.

 

To be honest the H6 is not going to do much in the way of isolation on the Tube, I'm forced to go on it occasionally and can understand the volume levels get ridiculous! Isolation only goes so far as regards low frequencies. At the same time, ANC only goes so far too - it can probably reduce a fair bit of the Tube noise but will not do much about your colleagues in the office for example. Also if you have an air conditioning unit on your left, ANC will block it out on the left but reproduce the noise on the right as there's nothing on the right to cancel out - if you see what I mean. I may be wrong where the QC25 model is concerned but designers presume that the noise is going to be all around so cancel in both ears. I've experienced this effect here in our office with such headphones.

 

I'd say the QC25 is worth a try as you say, with ANC on and off - try them in the office as well (why not?) - and think about something else at home. The H6 is a great headphone but I'd prefer the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 at just under £200.

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHiFi View Post
 

Are my ears a'burning?

 

Actually we got some B&O H6 quite recently (they've yet to be added to the site) but I've got our demo pair next to me - it seems the £180 price is the exception rather than the rule (it wouldn't be on Amazon by any chance would it?) - the real price is more towards £300 for these. As with Bose, the name pushes the price up.

 

To be honest the H6 is not going to do much in the way of isolation on the Tube, I'm forced to go on it occasionally and can understand the volume levels get ridiculous! Isolation only goes so far as regards low frequencies. At the same time, ANC only goes so far too - it can probably reduce a fair bit of the Tube noise but will not do much about your colleagues in the office for example. Also if you have an air conditioning unit on your left, ANC will block it out on the left but reproduce the noise on the right as there's nothing on the right to cancel out - if you see what I mean. I may be wrong where the QC25 model is concerned but designers presume that the noise is going to be all around so cancel in both ears. I've experienced this effect here in our office with such headphones.

 

I'd say the QC25 is worth a try as you say, with ANC on and off - try them in the office as well (why not?) - and think about something else at home. The H6 is a great headphone but I'd prefer the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 at just under £200.

 

Hey Steve,

Haha yea, the £180 pair is the Pepsi Promotional version on Amazon UK - it's not the best look ever, but at that price is a steal! As far as the bose go, I ordered them from Amazon Spain for the exact same price. Gosh, it's great taking advantage of the Free Movement of Goods. 

 

As far as ANC go, Bose are clearly doing something right. I did my experiment today with couple of different songs with the NC on and off and here is what I found (@cel4145 - this might be interesting for you too :)) - When it comes to EDM/ Hip Hop/ even Jazz there doesn't see to be that much difference between passive/ active noise isolation. Of course with the ANC on everything was much smoother (also due to the Active EQ being triggered), nicer and you have this weird feeling of relaxing in a quite room. With the ANC off - I had to increase the volume a tiny bit, but it was still enjoyable! 

Then I used Hanz Zimmer's Interstellar OST as a reference and oh my god did the ANC make a difference! Without it being on I could barely hear anything! So when it comes to the classical genre the ANC has the upper hand. It seems that I have made up my mind, but unfortunately not - I don't listen to that type of music that often :P

I believe I have become a victim of over-researching. People keep on referring to the H6 as incredible, one of the most neutral sounds they have ever heard, amazing soundstage for a closed back headphones and this keeps on bringing me back to the question - Should I trade the bose or not. And would I, as a baby audiophile, really see a difference between them.

Going back to your expertise - Do you think it's better to stick with the Bose and then invest for a nice pair of Open-back headphones to use at home, or to stop being such a whinny grandma and stop complaining about the tube noise for a better overall pair of headphones as the H6/ ATH-MSR7 and hold on (at least for now lol) from buying another pair of cans?

Thank you so much for your help! Much appreciated  

 

Edit: Forgot to mention about Bose's ANC capability in the office - (not so) surprisingly it works quite well - Although you can still hear people chatting next to you, it's more like as if you are in the top room of a big house and they are chatting in the kitchen. Hope that makes sense!


Edited by ZeroGravity1605 - 2/23/15 at 3:24am
post #8 of 10

I'd like to dive in with a hard and fast answer but ultimately it's up to you of course - you know best how long you spend on the Tube and how much the noise irritates you. It sounds like the QC25 suits you and you are quite keen on the noise cancellation benefits, so I wouldn't try to persuade you otherwise. Also if you're increasing volume to try and combat the Tube noise this can only be bad for your hearing. It's your call! SQ when you're walking around London with all its distractions can only be enjoyed up to a certain point.

 

Having said that, away from the noise you'll probably be quite happy with some dedicated open-backs - I'm sure a lot of people on this forum have more than one pair of headphones for different scenarios/genres/days of the week so you can have the best of both worlds - if you dare enter the headphone rabbit hole...

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHiFi View Post
 

I'd like to dive in with a hard and fast answer but ultimately it's up to you of course - you know best how long you spend on the Tube and how much the noise irritates you. It sounds like the QC25 suits you and you are quite keen on the noise cancellation benefits, so I wouldn't try to persuade you otherwise. Also if you're increasing volume to try and combat the Tube noise this can only be bad for your hearing. It's your call! SQ when you're walking around London with all its distractions can only be enjoyed up to a certain point.

 

Having said that, away from the noise you'll probably be quite happy with some dedicated open-backs - I'm sure a lot of people on this forum have more than one pair of headphones for different scenarios/genres/days of the week so you can have the best of both worlds - if you dare enter the headphone rabbit hole...


Thanks Steve! I believe I am already down that hole - If it's not for my dear girlfriend to control me, I would have already spent £500+ on Headphones/ Amps etc. (The issue is that I can't really afford it, but I am willing to do it)

As far as it goes for my choice - I will stick to the Bose for now. I had terrible headache yesterday evening/ this morning and they were a lifesaver on the tube! I managed to listen to some classical music on very low volume, whilst getting rid of the noise (seriously though, the London Tube is horrendous!). It really made a difference :)

 

Also, to be honest, I found the SQ incredible - and let me just clarify before I get dissed by the experts that I don't really have a wide frame of reference - this is my first good pair of cans. This said, seeing how most of the audiophiles perceive them, this is making me really excited for my next pair of phones! I will take advantage from the first good deal on open-back phones, but this time will be ready to spend a bit more (I believe Black Friday is the best time to look for headphone deals?).

Nevertheless, thank you and everyone else for helping me reach this conclusion! You guys are great :)

p.s. When the time comes, I will be pestering you for advice on which pair to get.

post #10 of 10

You're welcome and you get a bit of dare I say, snobbery whatever you're into - OK you could be getting better SQ but if it's a step up for you then that's great (make that snobbery or patronisation)!

 

Sir Edmund Hillary had to climb the tiny Nepalese foothills before assailing Mount Everest, and those who laughed were certainly silent later. Mind you there wasn't much else to laugh at in 1953..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › B&O Beoplay H6 vs Bose QC25 - A Commuter's Dilemma