or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread - Page 15

post #211 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by acain View Post


Are we going to see a review of all your new CIEM's?

Yep. Working on a shootout. The permutations are many, so it's gonna take a while. Also still waiting on one last CIEM to get in. Will continue to post thoughts and impressions in the meantime though.
post #212 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post


Yep. Working on a shootout. The permutations are many, so it's gonna take a while. Also still waiting on one last CIEM to get in. Will continue to post thoughts and impressions in the meantime though.


Nice can't wait I hope you post a lot of pictures with the review. Can't wait to see what you have to say about the Legend R

post #213 of 1714

And I would really like to hear how the ACS Encore stacks up against the Layla, there has been a lot of talk about the Encore on other forums.

post #214 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post

Fwiw in direct comparisons I found the Angie less sibilant than the Layla. But I know of some friends who couldn't take the treble of either.

 

I find the Layla sibilant with my iPhone 6, but there is not a trace of sibilance on my office rig, amping them with my Eddie Current 445 and with the Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC. It depends on your front end. It is noticeably less bright than the SR009 and HD800.

 

I must confess that I am quite immune to brightness. HD800 and SR009 are my favourite cans after all.


Edited by lojay - 4/7/15 at 7:06pm
post #215 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumburu View Post

Did anyone else notice this problem? That would be a deal breaker for me, since I intend to use them as monitors and I'm highly sensitive to high frequency peaks. If that's true, the 'mastering grade' advertising is misleading. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon1323 View Post

Had the same issue with my Roxanne Universals, they were real sibilant and harsh on some songs especially like Tumburu said with female vocals. However, whether it was brain burn in or the IEM itself I don't know but it does go away after about 100-200 hours. I don't notice it much at all anymore. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

The Layla's have likely some of the best treble I've heard. Far from the HD-800s (that can be problematic if your rig/ source has issues) that way. Not sibilant, nor piercing in anyway whatsoever in my several weeks with them. But unlike virtually all other IEMs (most anyway), the treble actually extends beyond 10kHz (and all without being strident). 

 

I've run several sweeps with them and couldn't pick up any areas of "trouble" in the FR.

 

IMHO:

 

The treble on the Layla can be a tad harsh during the burn-in process (if you believe in such things), but after this point, it is the greatest treble response ever (in my tenure on Head-Fi)

 

What I mean by this is that you get the full blast of sparkle/energy/extension/detail/micro-detail while it is super-duper silky at the same time. It's like you get the best traits of both bright and dark headphones. Not sure how in the world JH managed to do this as my brain keeps thinking it's impossible to have this neutral treble without some sort of pain/peaks.

 

I'm very sensitive to peaky treble and the Layla does not have this (after burn-in). My guess is that they were able to get this amazing extension and treble energy by applying it completely flat/evenly across the board. I think this is where having four drivers comes in, the hardware headroom allows Jerry to come up with something impossible sounding. It has the treble presence of a neutral/bright headphone with the silky smoothness of a dark/laid back headphone. Impossible? Yeah it kind of is...

 

Layla as a whole kind of sounds impossible. When I put it on I keep thinking that this thing sounds impossible. I feel like I'm listening to twelve well-tuned/perfectly phase matched speakers that work as one. It seems to surpass the basic laws of physics and sound reproduction and leaves me in awe.


Edited by M-13 - 4/7/15 at 8:02pm
post #216 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post
Of course if you are not into the HD800's sound signature and strengths, i.e. realism, and wish to have some added warmth or bass-bump, i.e. excitement and euphony, these are not for you.

 

Does this statement remain true even with the bass cranked up?

post #217 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Minimum View Post

Does this statement remain true even with the bass cranked up?
Haven't tried yet! Will give it a try.
But reports I have read show that the the rest of the frequency response remains unchanged, so it will still sound brighter than what LCD3 lovers may like for their taste.
post #218 of 1714

Thanks! I'll be interested to hear what you think. Basically, I'm looking for something that at least gets close to the wonderful SE846 bass, but that is also more capable in the treble region.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay View Post


Haven't tried yet! Will give it a try.
But reports I have read show that the the rest of the frequency response remains unchanged, so it will still sound brighter than what LCD3 lovers may like for their taste.
post #219 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

I've run several sweeps with them and couldn't pick up any areas of "trouble" in the FR.

 

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for. Looks like I'll be joining the club.

post #220 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

 

The treble on the Layla can be a tad harsh during the burn-in process (if you believe in such things), but after this point, it is the greatest treble response ever (in my tenure on Head-Fi)

 

I surely don't believe in that, since my 3003 sound as excessively bright as they did on day 1. But I definitely believe in 'brain burn-in', which will not be the case here since I always use my studio monitors as reference thus refreshing my ears all the time.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

 

It has the treble presence of a neutral/bright headphone with the silky smoothness of a dark/laid back headphone. Impossible? Yeah it kind of is...

 

I discovered BA drivers can behave this way, while they can be bright they don't pierce your ears like a bright DD (like HD800 or T1) will. They tend to 'compress' the sound a bit.

 

Anyway, it looks like the tuning of these is really well thought and I made my decision. Fingers crossed :D


Edited by tumburu - 4/8/15 at 9:25am
post #221 of 1714

A friend of mine received his Layla Universals yesterday and let me listen to them. Wow, the one word that comes to mind with them is clarity. The instrument separation and detail on my Roxanne Uni is great but Layla takes that to a whole new level. After hearing them for myself I must say they're every bit as impressive as most here claimed them to be. 

post #222 of 1714

I have a universal pair on loan. It's hard to add to what has already been described by others, except to say that the first word that came to mind when listening was "coherence". Whatever magic Jerry has done with the crossover has certainly worked. They seem to be very equipment-picky, however. An X5 wont cut it at all and sounds flat and dead. The new ALO Audio Rx is open an clear with tighter bass. I need to test them on more gear, but I agree that they are designed to work with the AK240 and are outstanding with it.

 

Compared to the Roxannes they sound more open and spacious, but the Roxannes are more mid/upper-mid forward. Instruments, especially in the treble are noticeably more precise through the Laylas. They still have something of a thick-sounding upper-bass/lower mids around 200 Hz that I tend to want to EQ down a few dB when listening to a jazz ensemble, as the cello comes through too strongly, for me anyway.


Edited by Currawong - 4/13/15 at 5:37am
post #223 of 1714

I'm good to go on Layla but I'm wondering . . .  :confused:

 

Is there a difference in SQ between the universal design vs custom molded ?

 

How is the isolation with the universal design ?

 

Anyone with direct experience JH 16 Pro vs Layla on AK240 ?

post #224 of 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

I have a universal pair on loan. It's hard to add to what has already been described by others, except to say that the first word that came to mind when listening was "coherence". Whatever magic Jerry has done with the crossover has certainly worked. They seem to be very equipment-picky, however. An X5 wont cut it at all and sounds flat and dead. The new ALO Audio Rx is open an clear with tighter bass. I need to test them on more gear, but I agree that they are designed to work with the AK240 and are outstanding with it.

Compared to the Roxannes they sound more open and spacious, but the Roxannes are more mid/upper-mid forward. Instruments, especially in the treble are noticeably more precise through the Laylas. They still have something of a thick-sounding upper-bass/lower mids around 200 Hz that I tend to want to EQ down a few dB when listening to a jazz ensemble, as the cello comes through too strongly, for me anyway.
Thanks for the impressions. If you could tell us how it sounds when powered through Hugo that will be great,
post #225 of 1714

Has anyone had JHA adjust their IEM's based on an audiogram?  (audiologist's graph of hearing loss).  They offered to do this on my next IEMs, (Layla), so I'm curious how it's worked for others.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread