Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › SR-71 First Impressions w/pics(dial-up warning)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR-71 First Impressions w/pics(dial-up warning) - Page 2  

post #16 of 100
will look fabolously vintage
post #17 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN
I just wish he would tone down the graphics and writing on his amps. Beautiful on the insides, nice cases but way too much writing for my taste. I wonder how it will look after two or three years of being carried around when all that writing starts to wear off.

knowing ray from what i got from my one meet with him is that he already thought of it.
post #18 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhanjk
IC1 to IC4 are most likely AD8610 chip. Red paint was cover to hide them, see IC2 lead.
Since Ray wasn't forthcoming with this information and went to the trouble of covering them I'm guessing it's not an AD8610, but rather something you wouldn't expect in there...
post #19 of 100
who cares about the writing on the amp? It's not jewelery, its for sound.


Comparing ray's amps to a pimeta? Well, why don't you try listening to it? It's not about what you 'think' it is, it's how the thing sounds.

I heard it, and i was very impressed. I listened to all of rays amps side-by-side, and many would be astonished by how close it was to the HR2.
post #20 of 100
Thanks for the first impresssion Tube. I have the new Total Airhead. Anyone at the meets have a chance to compare the SR-71 to the Total Airhead? Thanks
post #21 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
Thanks for the first impresssion Tube. I have the new Total Airhead. Anyone at the meets have a chance to compare the SR-71 to the Total Airhead? Thanks
I compared it to the Total Bithead (at least I think that was what was in the meet pack, it might have been the Bithead). It wasn't very close, the SR-71 was seriously better. The Bithead had a lot of background grunge and a much shallower soundstage...
post #22 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpalmer
Since Ray wasn't forthcoming with this information and went to the trouble of covering them I'm guessing it's not an AD8610, but rather something you wouldn't expect in there...
I heard from Ray that he scrapes off all the lettering on the components and then paints them. he really is secretive about his design. I don't blame him either.
post #23 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Comito
Thanks for the first impresssion Tube. I have the new Total Airhead. Anyone at the meets have a chance to compare the SR-71 to the Total Airhead? Thanks
I have the the Total Airhead and recently bought the SuperDual (and have an SR-71 on order). The Total Airhead does not even compare to the SuperDual in my opinion. Overall size, sound quality, and price make it an amazing bargin. From what I have read/heard the SR-71 is the next level above the SuperDual. I travel every single week 3-4 days a week and sound quality is very important to me.

I am planning an extensive review of all three of the above amps, just waiting for my SR-71 to arrive!
post #24 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayt999
I heard from Ray that he scrapes off all the lettering on the components and then paints them. he really is secretive about his design. I don't blame him either.

Then the SR-71 should be called a mini-stealth!
post #25 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I am planning an extensive review of all three of the above amps, just waiting for my SR-71 to arrive!
If you find the SD not that much bader then the SR-71, my wallet will thank you.
post #26 of 100
Whats the dimensions of the SR-71, is it roughly the same size as an Ipod or Iriver 120?
post #27 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraProject
Whats the dimensions of the SR-71, is it roughly the same size as an Ipod or Iriver 120?
2.5 x 3.5 x 1 IIRC
post #28 of 100
i paint all the opamps in my portable amps "erogenous" because i feel that it gives better synergy with grado headphones.

apparently mr. samuels feels that "after hours" works best in his amps.

http://www.hardcandy.com/detail.cfm?pid=121
post #29 of 100
I got my SuperDual two day ago. It is still burning in. I have heard the SR-71 during the Socal meet. I think SR-71 is better. However, I mainly used HD650 with SR-71 during the meet(I did used E-4s but very short among of time), and E-4s with SD. To me SR-71 sound much clearer and detail.

Other than the price different, there is also size different too. I would consider SD pockable and SR-71 backpackable(or any kind of bag). If you plan on used with small HD player, SD may be more desireable.
post #30 of 100
that thing looks awesome
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › SR-71 First Impressions w/pics(dial-up warning)