or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones) - Page 13

post #181 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post
 


This is what I dont get.. I have tried all my music, lots of bass heavy electronic and hip hop.. I dont get distortion - selecting some random low bitrate track from youtube and stating it causes distortion is not a summation of a general issue with the headphone - its an issue with the track.

 

Its understood, you dont like the H8.. but emphasizing an issue that hasn't been noticed by anyone else (as far as I know of) and basing that on the quality of the headphone isnt much of a review. I dont see the need of maxing out the volume of my headphones, I want to be able to hear in my later years, but at high normal listening volumes I have never noticed a semblance of distortion - I rarely listen to FLAC or ALAC (so even on 320 and 256 things sound great) and I dont EQ my high-end headphones, I know you like to - to me thats like add a turbo charger to a Ferrari (I think the engineers knew what they were doing when they made the hardware) just my opinion.


Please explain me HOW can it be an issue of the track if I have used three different versions of the track (two streaming ones and one I have on my Hard Drive) and I have used the SAME exact track with all the other 30 (30!!!) BT Headphones which I have tested, and NOT A SINGLE ONE apart for the H8 has EVER produced the LESSER distortion? NOT A SINGLE ONE, even at max volume and MUCH more boosted with the EQ than what I need to boost the H8 before they distort!?

 

EQ or not EQ, I invite you to avoid insinuating that EQing is a symptom of "you do not understand **** about music".

I do not say that not EQing is idiot. So, do NOT say that of EQing. It is not enough to add "just my opinion". If I tell you "you do not understand a ****", and I add "just my opinion", it does not sound much better.

You like the sound out of the box? Cool. Those who do not, they need to EQ. And the engineers did not know **** about my ears, so they made something which sounded good to THEIR ears. Which means that I have to retune it to my tastes and/or psychoacustic perception of sound. And retune is NOT boost.

Same something, different people, different perception of the sound. Read reviews: Samsung Level Over. Some people say it lacks mids. Some people say it excel in mids.

So, you buy it because you read that it excel in mids, but to your psychoacustic perception of sound they lack mids, and you need to EQ.

You like flat? You buy the AKG K845BT because you read they are flat, but you happen to be very sensitive to high frequencies and the AKG K845 BT play at the limit there, which did not disturb the reviewer, but disturbs you, so you need to EQ.

But even coming to the typical "EQ boost", you cannot take an objective role of universal point of reference and claim that EQ is bad. Those who listen to Dubstep, ABSOLUTELY need to EQ, because NO headphone (at least no BT Headphone in this moment) can provide without EQ the amount of bass needed to enjoy Dubstep. And I mean REAL Dubstep.

 

And the ONLY thing which the H8 have in common with the Ferrari is the high price. If you want to know what a true Ferrari sounds like in the world of BT Headphones, try the ATH-WS99BT.

There is always the possibility that you will not like the sound signature, and if you cannot even use some basic subtractive EQ to RETUNE something (which is NOT boosting a Ferrari, it is RETUNING, with subtle changes on the EQ for example slightly decreasing of 3DB the Low mids if they are too present to your personal psychoacustic perception and/or tastes), you have to trust destiny.

But considering the kind of headphones you are used to, apart for the H8, you should be able to perceive the difference, and see that what you call Ferrari is, at best, a Fiat 500. New model, the fancy one, but, still a Fiat 500.

 

But well, it is also a matter of tastes and preferences.

 

But I find it a bit egocentric your assumption that as you do not like to EQ then there is no problem with the Headphone because those who EQ are the problem.

EQing or not is a matter of personal decisions, and headphones MUST be able to be EQed.

YOU do not like to EQ. the 90% of bassheads DO like to EQ, and the H8 are CLEARLY a bass oriented headphone because even out of the box they boost bass so much to make most "non bass oriented music" not enjoyable (I have tried to listen to Celtic music today. No EQ, just out of the box: the boost in the bass, specially when wired, was completely ruining that song).

YOU do not feel the need to put the vol at max, but the H8 are definitely NOT a loud headphone, and many people who like to listen to things louder than you (and there are a lot, if I can have read complaint about "not loud enough" for headphones which are much louder than the H8) will definitely have to put all volumes at max, specially when outdoors.

EDIT: I also do NOT tend to listen to music at max volume, apart for the fact that the max volume of an headphone may be the half or 3/4 volume of another one, so, all is relative. But let's say, I also do not tend to listen to very loud music, but you just can NOT talk for other people and can NOT say "the H8 are ok because you should not use them at Max vol".

 

So, it is NOT about you or me here. It is about that things must sound good to as many people as possible. And even if I were a "no EQ" guy, I would DEFINITELY consider the H8 a sub-par Headphone for its inability to please a wide public: the H8 boost the bass way too much for lovers of flat neutral sound. Actually, they also boost upper mids and highs. So, people who like flat are already out. So, let's try with bassheads: all perfect till there is no ANC. But wait, why on Earth did I just spent 500 for something with ANC when the Fidelio M2BT without ANC but with an excellent passive NC  sound way better than the H8 and cost less than the half, or the ATH-WS99BT sound universes better and cost just a bit more than the half? So, let's use this damn ANC: ops, wtf? Distortion... What? "you do not have to put it loud and you do not have to boost the EQ". Are you kidding me? I am a basshead, I am listening to Dubstep, I want to ******* move my head while I listen to music, not eat cheesecake with Earl Grey Tea while calmly reading Vogue.

So, lovers of flat neutral sound are out, bassheads are out.

What remains? You, and the fans of B&O, and people listening to moderate pop and rock and with a preference for a moderate v-shaped signature.

 

This is about.

About that you must be able to use something in its full range of possibilities without having to worry that if you use ANC you do not have to walk or you ear bumps, if you use wired you do not have to listen to bass heavy music or you must deactivate ANC, if you use ANC you must not boost the bass with the EQ...

 

And you still trying to convince me that it is that track?

Ok, you know what, I make you a damn LIST of each single track which produce distortion with this 500 bucks headphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOT2-OTebx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj8kaUl95KM

https://vimeo.com/40304409 (this is not even youtube, in case you now want to say that the problem is not B&O but youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psa06Qx0utA

https://vimeo.com/17939081 (not even a typical "bass heavy" track)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze7WPR8j_uQ (that's Radiohead, not Skrillex).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2YOuqHzss

 

And so on and on and on and on and on...

With each single track with some heavy bass, if I use the H8 wired AND with ANC on, the bass (specially the sub-bass, but also the kick drum) badly distort, and if you switch between ANC on and off you can hear it even at lower volumes.

 

But considering that this is a TEST and not the future of your hearing abilities, you are safe also if you put the volume at max.

Then, if you do not believe me, let's do like this, I send you my H8, you send me yours. And let's see if I was so unfortunate to get TWO defected units!


Edited by Giogio - 3/21/15 at 5:57pm
post #182 of 351

I have a long history with headphones and like/owned many different brands across the space, the B&O work for me for the purpose I wanted them for, im not endorsing them as the best thing ever, but they are the best headphone based on the ones I was considering on buying from the short list I made and I left my impressions in this thread.

 

I think its best to agree we have different points of view. Thanks for your thoughts. I dont want this thread to get personal, its about the headphones - sorry if I added fuel to the flame with my previous comment. Cheers.

post #183 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post
 

I have a long history with headphones and like/owned many different brands across the space, the B&O work for me for the purpose I wanted them for, im not endorsing them as the best thing ever, but they are the best headphone based on the ones I was considering on buying from the short list I made and I left my impressions in this thread.

 

I think its best to agree we have different points of view. Thanks for your thoughts. I dont want this thread to get personal, its about the headphones - sorry if I added fuel to the flame with my previous comment. Cheers.


I accept your apologies, and I admit that you do not need to add too much fuel to spread a fire with me.

So, no hard feelings.

But, exactly BECAUSE this is not a personal thing, it is important that you and everybody else here make this test.

Because I do NOT need to prove that the H8 are ****.

I want to see if the replacement unit (coming from the same shop) is part of a defected batch, or if ALL H8 of the world are like that.

And the ONLY way to do this is by testing your (of you ALL) H8 with the SAME music in the SAME conditions.

The links you have them above, the instructions (wired, max vol, ANC on) too.

One last thing: do it from the PC, because some smartphones do not have a good amp and do not get as loud as a PC can get. In my case for example with the Smartphone I cannot get it loud enough. And I really mean that it just is not loud, at all.

And, NO, it is NOT my sound card. I have also tried with a very good external Audio interface, the Roland Quad Capture, state of the art, and SAME story.


Edited by Giogio - 3/21/15 at 7:03pm
post #184 of 351
I personally think they sound excellent with and without wire. I don't have any distortion (maybe at the beginning because I was using viper4android,i used to play and tweak my headphones with EQ and other parameters).
They actually sound flawless to me out of the box.
I listen to a lot of hip hop, jazz, RNB, soul music.
To me, this headphones makes the sound sounds like it meant to be. (sorry for my English, I'm French 😯)
The only letdown was the noise cancelation coming from the zik 2.0.
Its good but not as powerful as the zik
2.0.(i liked their app too)
post #185 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwadaboy View Post

I don't have any distortion (maybe at the beginning because I was using viper4android,i used to play and tweak my headphones with EQ and other parameters).
I am about to give up. I have specifically written "please with PC, because the smartphone does not get loud enough" (probebly due to the fact that in the PC you have TWO volumes, the Windows one, and the Youtube one. In android only one). Then it may depend on the Smartphone. My Xperia definitels does not get very loud.
I listen to a lot of hip hop, jazz, RNB, soul music.
Yeah, kind of same story. I have asked please to test it with THOSE links, because I have tested them and I know that UNDER WINDOWS, with Windows and Youtube volumes at max, they definitely distort with wired H8 and ANC active.

To me, this headphones makes the sound sounds like it meant to be.
You cannot be sure of this :) Definitely NOT for ALL music. Maybe for what you listen to. And surely only till you try something "better".

The only letdown was the noise cancelation coming from the zik 2.0.
Its good but not as powerful as the zik
This is so funny. Ahzari says they have better ANC than the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, you say they have worse ANC than the Parrot Zik 2, Lauren Dragan of TheWirecutter says the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless have same quality of ANC than the Zik 2 and better than the Samsung Level Over (till now considered to be the best ANC after the Zik 2). Something is wrong hier...
post #186 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giogio View Post
 


I've posted my impressions quite a few times in this thread. The NC is very effective, having used the H8 on quite a few flights (including some I was right over the engine and wing). I think it's clear that your source (not just hardware like a smartphone or DAP) but music choice (not type of music, but possibly how it was ripped, etc.) may matter. The H8 pairs well with my ZX1 and I've used all kinds of music, and have tried both compressed (ATRAC) and hi-rez (mix of DSD, 96/24, and 192/24). Everyone's preferred sound is subjective. One's trash is another's nirvana.

post #187 of 351
@FenderP yes i understand what you mean.
On the other hand you may have noticed that all those links are from different sources. Different composer, different kind of music, different uoloader, different website, even different format.
And that the music i have on my hard drive is also from different sources, composer, genre, format.
And that I've tested with two soundcard, the PC one and a professional one for music production.
And that I've used THAT EXACT SAME DAMN MUSIC, SAME EXACT FILE, with all the other 30 (yes, three times ten) headphones tested and ONLY the H8 distorts.
And that in this moment at home i have:
Audio Technica Ath-ws99bt
Phillips Fidelio m2bt
Plantronics backbeat pro
Pendulumic stance s1+
Akg y45bt
And the h8.
And ONLY the H8 distorts.

So. HOW can it be fault of the music?

Anyway. Would you mind reading my last posts and running the test I've asked for, with the links provided (Not with your own music), with Pc (not phone) with windows and YouTube volumes at max and the h8 wired with anc on, please?
post #188 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giogio View Post

Anyway. Would you mind reading my last posts and running the test I've asked for, with the links provided (Not with your own music), with Pc (not phone) with windows and YouTube volumes at max and the h8 wired with anc on, please?

 

Sorry, no.

post #189 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giogio View Post

@FenderP yes i understand what you mean.
On the other hand you may have noticed that all those links are from different sources. Different composer, different kind of music, different uoloader, different website, even different format.
And that the music i have on my hard drive is also from different sources, composer, genre, format.
And that I've tested with two soundcard, the PC one and a professional one for music production.
And that I've used THAT EXACT SAME DAMN MUSIC, SAME EXACT FILE, with all the other 30 (yes, three times ten) headphones tested and ONLY the H8 distorts.
And that in this moment at home i have:
Audio Technica Ath-ws99bt
Phillips Fidelio m2bt
Plantronics backbeat pro
Pendulumic stance s1+
Akg y45bt
And the h8.
And ONLY the H8 distorts.

So. HOW can it be fault of the music?

Anyway. Would you mind reading my last posts and running the test I've asked for, with the links provided (Not with your own music), with Pc (not phone) with windows and YouTube volumes at max and the h8 wired with anc on, please?

it sounds like you need a very specific set of conditions to replicate this - going so far as to state not to test it on a phone because you wont hear it. I'd say maybe 90% of people are going to be listening to these headphones on their phone most of the time so it's not going to be a problem for them.

 

I will test this out for you to put your mind at ease however. mine are out for delivery today

 

a lot of the headphones you have suggested as alternatives don't sit well with me because im looking for a compromise between portability and style.

 

i already have some hd 600's and im not interested in anything that size for, taking the dog for a walk for example.

post #190 of 351
Read my posts again.
You DO notice it with phone too, but only if you boost the bass with eq (which the 99,9% with periodic 9 of the bassheads will do, because for real bass heavy music you need more power).
In my first request I've explained it well and asked to test with phone and eq and i was told "i don't use eq, it's like boosting a Ferrari"
So.
I've explained it all.
Can you do this test, please?
Thanks!
post #191 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giogio View Post

@FenderP yes i understand what you mean.
On the other hand you may have noticed that all those links are from different sources. Different composer, different kind of music, different uoloader, different website, even different format.
And that the music i have on my hard drive is also from different sources, composer, genre, format.
And that I've tested with two soundcard, the PC one and a professional one for music production.
And that I've used THAT EXACT SAME DAMN MUSIC, SAME EXACT FILE, with all the other 30 (yes, three times ten) headphones tested and ONLY the H8 distorts.
And that in this moment at home i have:
Audio Technica Ath-ws99bt
Phillips Fidelio m2bt
Plantronics backbeat pro
Pendulumic stance s1+
Akg y45bt
And the h8.
And ONLY the H8 distorts.

So. HOW can it be fault of the music?

Anyway. Would you mind reading my last posts and running the test I've asked for, with the links provided (Not with your own music), with Pc (not phone) with windows and YouTube volumes at max and the h8 wired with anc on, please?
I don't have the H8s so I cannot test this, but something occurred to me. You say you put youtube and the PC volume to full when doing this test. I assume this allows you to more fully control the volume on the H8s on theire volume control.

It could be that this high input volume is clipping thr analogue input of the H8,while the other headphones you have tried have more headroom to the large bass signals. It's just a thought. To prove this right or wrong, turn the PC volume down, and turn the H8 up. If it goes away I may be right. If it doesn't B&O has messed up.

The H8 to my ears do have a horrible bass boost, especially compared to the H6. But then I may not be their target audience.
post #192 of 351

OK

 

so i can confirm that the H8 does have distortion with ANC on and with the volume cranked up - however, i have to crank it past a level that i would comfortable listening to though.

it's also almost impossible to get this to happen when connected through a phone as it wont go loud enough - but on some songs it does indeed distort.

 

Angel Haze - Crown - being one that distorts pretty readily

 

now leading on from that...

 

as for the ANC on the H8 ..

 

- It does have an audible hiss

- it creates a bit of a 'pressure' sensation to my ears

- The ANC seems to be more aggressive that the on ear momentum wireless - whilst i can't really hear the ANC on the M2oe - the H8 cancel out a LOT more sound than them.

- However the ANC creates a pretty dramatic change to the to the tone of the song - causing a scoop and almost resonant tone that is quite uncomfortable to listen to.

 

So personally i don't think i would ever use this ANC unless on a plane or have an overwhelming desire to silence the outside world.

 

The sound out of them sounds very similar to the Momentum on ear wireless to me - probably slightly warmer in the lows.

The H8's look a lot better on - however i can barely notice the ANC on the Momentum2 wireless

 

so now i'm curious what the OVER ear sennheisers are like...

 

So far

 

H8

+ Great styling

+ Verrrrry Comfortable

+ Good sound

+ ANC does a very good... but

- ANC also slightly Painful

 

Momentum Wireless On Ear

+ barely noticeable ANC

+ Good sound

- look a bit goofy


Edited by bobpies - 3/23/15 at 9:24am
post #193 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwap View Post


I don't have the H8s so I cannot test this, but something occurred to me. You say you put youtube and the PC volume to full when doing this test. I assume this allows you to more fully control the volume on the H8s on theire volume control.

It could be that this high input volume is clipping thr analogue input of the H8,while the other headphones you have tried have more headroom to the large bass signals. It's just a thought. To prove this right or wrong, turn the PC volume down, and turn the H8 up. If it goes away I may be right. If it doesn't B&O has messed up.

The H8 to my ears do have a horrible bass boost, especially compared to the H6. But then I may not be their target audience.


H6 and H8 are different beasts. I did not think the H6 sounded good at all, and was a poor match for the ZX1. The H8 isn't perfect either.

post #194 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpies View Post
 

OK

 

so i can confirm that the H8 does have distortion with ANC on and with the volume cranked up - however, i have to crank it past a level that i would comfortable listening to though.

it's also almost impossible to get this to happen when connected through a phone as it wont go loud enough - but on some songs it does indeed distort.

 

Angel Haze - Crown - being one that distorts pretty readily

 

now leading on from that...

 

as for the ANC on the H8 ..

 

- It does have an audible hiss

- it creates a bit of a 'pressure' sensation to my ears

- The ANC seems to be more aggressive that the on ear momentum wireless - whilst i can't really hear the ANC on the M2oe - the H8 cancel out a LOT more sound than them.

- However the ANC creates a pretty dramatic change to the to the tone of the song - causing a scoop and almost resonant tone that is quite uncomfortable to listen to.

 

So personally i don't think i would ever use this ANC unless on a plane or have an overwhelming desire to silence the outside world.

 

The sound out of them sounds very similar to the Momentum on ear wireless to me - probably slightly warmer in the lows.

The H8's look a lot better on - however i can barely notice the ANC on the Momentum2 wireless

 

so now i'm curious what the OVER ear sennheisers are like...

 

So far

 

H8

+ Great styling

+ Verrrrry Comfortable

+ Good sound

+ ANC does a very good... but

- ANC also slightly Painful

 

Momentum Wireless On Ear

+ barely noticeable ANC

+ Good sound

- look a bit goofy


I don't get any pressure from the H8 and the noise cancelling is great. I've been on plenty of planes with them over the past two months. Everybody's ears are different. All ANC affects the sound. B&O does it better than a lot of the other vendors I've tried over the past few years. This is ALL subjective. All the vendors do things with the sound when you kick in ANC (boosting bass is something pretty much everyone does). If you hate ANC, you'll need a good pair of isolating passive cans or possibly IEMs (which are uncomfortable on long journeys; did that for quite a few years). IEMs are usually the best for passive sound blocking, but at an extreme comfort cost.

post #195 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post
 


I don't get any pressure from the H8 and the noise cancelling is great. I've been on plenty of planes with them over the past two months. Everybody's ears are different. All ANC affects the sound. B&O does it better than a lot of the other vendors I've tried over the past few years. This is ALL subjective. All the vendors do things with the sound when you kick in ANC (boosting bass is something pretty much everyone does). If you hate ANC, you'll need a good pair of isolating passive cans or possibly IEMs (which are uncomfortable on long journeys; did that for quite a few years). IEMs are usually the best for passive sound blocking, but at an extreme comfort cost.

 

the pressure isn't overly annoying, but the resonance is.

 

if you have a listen to the snare that runs the whole way through 'ed sheeran - sing' you will see what im talking about - just hit your ANC on and off during that song.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)