Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000??? - Page 49

post #721 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

Ok, so I just got my VSD5. Immediately A/Bed the SpinFits and the Klipsch Ovals (which I havent had a chance to use yet)


They look absolutely ridiculous on them, the opening on the Ovals are basically pinhole in size. (I'll take a pic a little later)
... the sound has evolved in an amazing way. Takes the VSD5 to the next level, not joking. Turns them in a V-shaped monster with nice clarity and great dynamics. Less grainier. A lot more upfront sounding but still has a nice soundstage. Not laid-back sounding anymore for sure. Bass is a lot more present but not overly so.
Thanks for the recommendation @omastic
The VSD5 are pulling a complete 180. TBH, they now sound very similar in tonality to the Altone200's, a little less refined and revealing though.


VSD5 + Klipsch Ovals get a high recommendation from me.


You might get a nice perfect seal as well?:smile:.......I have my ovals from S5i rugged but haven't tried on my VSD3S yet, afraid the ring @ the mouth of nozzle might come off due to difference in diameter while tip rollin/off......assuming the VSD5 nozzle lip is same as VSD3/3S, need to be little cautious tho......

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #722 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post
 


You might get a nice perfect seal as well?:smile:.......I have my ovals from S5i rugged but haven't tried on my VSD3S yet, afraid the ring @ the mouth of nozzle might come off due to difference in diameter while tip rollin/off......assuming the VSD5 nozzle lip is same as VSD3/3S, need to be little cautious tho......

I get perfect seals with other tips too, just the bore size changes the sound a lot

Careful, they boost the mids and the bass quite a bit which is kind of a need for the VSD5 imo
VSD3S is on the warmer side is it not? So it might be not be ideal

No harm in trying though! ;) 


Remember: twist to pull off tips! Don't just pull them off haha


Edited by nehcrow - 4/2/15 at 1:05am
post #723 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

I get perfect seals with other tips too, just the bore size changes the sound a lot

Careful, they boost the mids and the bass quite a bit which is kind of a need for the VSD5 imo
VSD3S is on the warmer side is it not? So it might be not be ideal

No harm in trying though! ;) 


Remember: twist to pull off tips! Don't just pull them off haha


Yep "rule of thumb" - I always do that for my other bit wider bore nozzles when tryin the ovals or other tips of similar dia tips......

post #724 of 1137
Looks like someone got a good seal! I use the biggest ones from the Sony mh1 as of now. Works great with most tips I have tried. As long as they are big! Tried klipsch ovals but they are to small for my ears.
post #725 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by refinery View Post
 

So I'm in the search of IEMs.

 

I have it narrowed down to these several IEMs but would like recommendations/advice!

VSonic GR07 || ~100 USD ebay

VSonic GR07BE || ~130 USD ebay

VSonic VSD5 || ~70 USD ebay/amazon
Hifiman RE-400 || ~80 USD amazon

 

Looking to just go for the VSD5s. I'm upgrading from an MEElectronics A151p because one side is dead. ~1.5 years old.

 

Thanks.

 

I have all except the RE-400.  I just received the VSD5 a few days ago.  If you're a bass-head, you might prefer the GR07BE.  If you're a treble-head, you might prefer the VSD5.  If you're like me, you would prefer the GR07.  I think it's the best IEM (in terms of not getting tired of the sound over time) except for my SE-846, which is hardly in the same price class.

post #726 of 1137

I'm using foam-filled Sony hybrids, and they really helped with seal and kicked the bass up a notch or two.

post #727 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post
 

I'm using foam-filled

Sony
hybrids, and they really helped with seal and kicked the bass up a notch or two.

 

I am using She9850 tips. Doing the trick for me.

post #728 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post
 

 

I have all except the RE-400.  I just received the VSD5 a few days ago.  If you're a bass-head, you might prefer the GR07BE.  If you're a treble-head, you might prefer the VSD5.  If you're like me, you would prefer the GR07.  I think it's the best IEM (in terms of not getting tired of the sound over time) except for my SE-846, which is hardly in the same price class.

Ah okay I see, t hank you for the responses. I'm leaning towards the GR07 or RE-400 I guess.

 

I'm really looking for the best sub $100 IEM and it seems like all of the choices are pretty much chinese IEMs. Not that it's bad, just a trend I noticed.

 

I am pretty into bass but $130 for that is quite a bit, which is almost double the VSD5 already...

post #729 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

ahhh i own 3 of those you've listed (vsd5,re400, and gr07be)

 

my favorite of the bunch would go like this gr07be> re400>vsd5

 

the vsd5 has a more treble forward sound, and a rather open sound which i think you might like coming from the a151p (based on what i read of them, no personal experience though so take that at face value)

 

the re400, as stated above has probably the least bass of the bunch, which you might also be accustomed to coming from a single BA, its a drier sound, quite smooth and is the most easy going of the bunch (easy listening for hours on end) plus it boasts the best isolation of the bunch as well (with the less issue in terms of fit, cause of how tiny it is) but as stated before, the build quality is sketchy, so you will have to baby them. 

 

and finally the gr07be ( i think has a great level of bass slam and tightness, not as "fun" as some other bassy earphones i own like (im70, brainwavz s5, and rha ma600i) but its a good mix of fun and detail. but if your looking for something "probably" very different from what your use to (wanting to change things up) the gr07be would be a great "dynamic" choice

 

haha excuse the pun =P

Thanks for the help! The GR07BE is tempting but it's 130, which is almost DOUBLE the VSD5 already...

 

Unless maybe I'm not finding the lowest price but I haven't done too much research.

 

I'm tempted to go for the VSD5 + Klipsch oval tips rec now. That's 70 + 11 = 81 dollars :p

post #730 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by refinery View Post
 

Thanks for the help! The GR07BE is tempting but it's 130, which is almost DOUBLE the VSD5 already...

 

Unless maybe I'm not finding the lowest price but I haven't done too much research.

 

I'm tempted to go for the VSD5 + Klipsch oval tips rec now. That's 70 + 11 = 81 dollars :p

 

 Go for the VSD5. It wont disappoint.

post #731 of 1137

The vsd5 is a damn good iem for several reasons.

 

The fit is superb in my ears.

 

The cable is good. ( however lacks strain relief )

 

The sound is detailed and airy, quite the soundstage going on as well. Does not lack in bass. Overall tight and crisp sound.

 

Very easy to drive, there is way to much noise with my Xduoo x2, not so much with a sansa clip, dead silent with my LG g2 phone. 

 

For the above reasons i recommend it more then the kc06 and the havi b3 for most users. The havi was king a year ago, but now i think it´s falling behind.

 

I love the sound of the kc06, i think it sounds better then the vsd5 but there are way to many drawbacks to use it as a portable iem. Poor isolation, strange fit ( they fit good in my ears but the design is just weird )

 

Still, the TDK IE800 is the best iem i have ever tried.. Just love how it sounds! It´s my reference in my collection so far. But it sucks on the move for various reasons.

 

I am happy that i got the vsd5, it is a fun iem with great fit and it can be used as a portable as well as at the computer with a nice dac. 

post #732 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by refinery View Post
 

Thanks for the help! The GR07BE is tempting but it's 130, which is almost DOUBLE the VSD5 already...

 

Unless maybe I'm not finding the lowest price but I haven't done too much research.

 

I'm tempted to go for the VSD5 + Klipsch oval tips rec now. That's 70 + 11 = 81 dollars :p

GR07BE has noticeably better tonality imo, so more natural sounding - can sound sharp at times (sssssssibilance)
...but VSD5 is 1/2 the price with a bigger, wider, 3d soundstage. Has a tendency to sound a little unnatural with the wrong tips. Technically, I think they are around the same level. Not 100% sure has I haven't heard the GR07BE in a while. 
Klipsch tips change the tonality HEAPS, so I'd recommend tip-rolling before just settling with Klipsch Ovals. Some won't like the huge change
I'd say they are both worthy buys, it's a tough decision.

GR07BE is a safer bet, 90% of people will love that IEM. VSD5 a little riskier due to having more flaws in the sound imo

 

I have to add there's no right or wrong purchase in your situation, it's just a matter of experimenting... it's just one of those hobbies that so personally orientated that I can't say for certainty what you will like or what you won't like


Edited by nehcrow - 4/2/15 at 11:40pm
post #733 of 1137

Ok conclusive thoughts:
I A/Bed the SpinFits and Klipsch Ovals. 
TBH, it's really just a tonality change. Bassier, warmer, more upfront = Klipsch Ovals. 
I thought the SpinFits were are a little diffuse sounding with the VSD5 (they also had a tendency to slip off the actual IEMS!)
I pushed the SpinFits passed where they are supposed to be situated (halfway between the base and nozzle) all the way to base of the IEM and my concluding thoughts are that the SpinFits are better.
It retains all the positives of the VSD5 but smooths out the treble, pushes the mids forward, bass presence increases non-offensively. No real effect on the wide, deep soundstage (the Ovals compresed the soundstage quite a bit). More dynamic and just more immediate presence to the sound. More noticeable detailed than the Ovals too! (Ovals are still detailed, just harder to pick out)
Soz for pulling another 180 on you guys, but I think this is the ideal solution for me.
 

So VSD5 + SpinFits (buy them off @Dopaminer) pushed all the way back to the base = IDEAL SOUND. It essentially does what the Ovals do but better
TBH, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better bargain. I find them more engaging than the Titan 1's atm, but that might change.


Edited by nehcrow - 4/3/15 at 2:35am
post #734 of 1137

 

 

Hnnng. At it now for about 3 weeks or so. Getting better as time goes by. I'm still in the middle of experimenting with tips as I haven't purchased any IEM's in a long, long, while. I'm budgeted with my current audio collection (DT 990 Pro, V-Moda M80, Schiit Stack) as I have only recently started. I have nothing to compare these IEM's at the moment, so this really is just an appreciation post. Cheers!

 

Song info:

Album: We Like it Here

Tack 2. What About Me? by Snarky Puppy

 

Highly recommend if you haven't heard!


Edited by Daskful - 4/3/15 at 4:43am
post #735 of 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daskful View Post
 

 

 

Hnnng. At it now for about 3 weeks or so. Getting better as time goes by. I'm still in the middle of experimenting with tips as I haven't purchased any IEM's in a long, long, while. I'm budgeted with my current audio collection (DT 990 Pro, V-Moda M80, Schiit Stack) as I have only recently started. I have nothing to compare these IEM's at the moment, so this really is just an appreciation post. Cheers!

 

Song info:

Album: We Like it Here

Tack 2. What About Me by Snarky Puppy

 

Highly recommend if you haven't heard!

What tips are you rocking?
Pretty much looks like one of my daily setups haha, iPhone 5s I assume?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???