or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best mid price IEMs - Page 2

post #16 of 76
Thread Starter 
I want to travel with them and am not going to carry a DAC around so I think I'm going to get the ASG 2.5s
post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


I'm glad the the PJN (price justification neurons) in your frontal cortex are operating at full swing smily_headphones1.gif
So anyone who does not hear like you is self justifying. How so Eke-esk.
post #18 of 76

I love my SE425s, my go to choice for around $300 budget (depending where you live). You could also add um3/um20 or w20 on that list. Sennheiser IE80s you could get them brand new for under $300 or used for under $200 on amazon.

post #19 of 76
Fidue A83. Loving mine.
post #20 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


So anyone who does not hear like you is self justifying. How so Eke-esk.

 

 

*-esque. Tsk tsk, Frenchie ;)

 

 

TBH, at this point I don't really care who hears like who. He dropped a bit of an insult. I responded in kind.

 

I've conducted my own tests, using the scientific method as closely as possible. These tests have been done using several variables, under several different conditions. Therefore, I trust my results. I've yet to see the same. The ones who do, like Brooko, have come conclusions similar to mine.

 

Once again, I don't consider slight sound signature differences to be upgrades or downgrades. The ZX1 has the same bass prowess and extension as the Hm-901 with IEMs. This is with all the IEMs I tried them with. That spits in the face of everything I previously read about them, like the HM-901's supposedly infinitely textured and extended bass, and the ZX1's supposed lackluster power. The HM901 is simply sliightly warmer. Even with the ER4S.

 

 

Relative to buying headphones and some amps, boutique DAPs are generally a grand waste of money if your primary consideration is SQ. That's what I've come to find. I personally don't care how people spend their money. In a year or so, I'll be pretty well off myself. I do care when I see threads like these, where people suggest buying a DAP as the best bang for one's buck. I think it's misleading, and only leads to disappointment. 

 

My HiFi journey started in earnest almost 4 years ago. I think it's my responsibility as a "headphoneus supremus" to help new members navigate these waters, and to help them avoid the same disappointments I experienced. If you think my thought processes in my reviews are flawed, or have issues with how I conduct my audio tests, feel free to let me know. Until then,

 

opinionated.gif

 

 

PS. For Mim (Click to show)
I like you man. You're funny. Heck, a lot of my friends in undergrad were French. My roommates were too. I even learned to cook french cuisine because of them.
 
Let's not fight lol
post #21 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiter23 View Post
 

I love my SE425s, my go to choice for around $300 budget (depending where you live). You could also add um3/um20 or w20 on that list. Sennheiser IE80s you could get them brand new for under $300 or used for under $200 on amazon.

 

bro , i pity your money - there are way better iems out there for that kind of dough

search more ;)

post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post
 

 

bro , i pity your money - there are way better iems out there for that kind of dough

search more ;)

Without asking, I can tell that you are a Hifiman fan and will recommend me to go with Hifiman if I asked. I've never had any issues with Shure. For the amount of money, you get the build quality and durability with choosing to go with Shure. I've listened to the Re262 and I highly prefer the 425s and just to let you know they do not come close to the 535s  :) I agree that Shure does aggressively price their products but you get what you pay for. Especially now I have custom shells on them, the sound has improved further.

 

As for OP, if you are spending 100+ on IEMs, I would not listen to biased opinions too much on this forum. I would ask you to try them out before you buy or make sure that you are able to refund if you don't like them.

post #23 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiter23 View Post

Without asking, I can tell that you are a Hifiman fan and will recommend me to go with Hifiman if I asked. I've never had any issues with Shure. For the amount of money, you get the build quality and durability with choosing to go with Shure. I've listened to the Re262 and I highly prefer the 425s and just to let you know they do not come close to the 535s  smily_headphones1.gif I agree that Shure does aggressively price their products but you get what you pay for. Especially now I have custom shells on them, the sound has improved further.

As for OP, if you are spending 100+ on IEMs, I would not listen to biased opinions too much on this forum. I would ask you to try them out before you buy or make sure that you are able to refund if you don't like them.

There just aren't that many iems out there that have that extremely lush and forward mids that is characteristic of the Shure house sound.
post #24 of 76
Thread Starter 
I bought ASG 2.5's
post #25 of 76
Hello Eke, this morning in my shower I told myself : he is going to catch you on the esk / esque thing. Besides I did not find Lee's post aggressive.

You may conduct your tests however you want and we may disagree in the end on how we appreciate the differences between DAPs. For instance, the ZX1 is a great DAP but too bright and brittle sounding to my ears and with boosted mid bass when I compared to the 901. The 901 with a good amp card remains my favorite and that comes from owning all these DAPs and testing side by side with different IEMs. I went to the Apple store because I told myself an idevice would be nice for convenience. The itouch sounded quite odd to my ears and I did not have prejudice as I used an IPC for year and still have it.

I do not agree with what most people say and follow my ears. I can give you examples. I think the AK120 sounds very average. I think the Ak240 sounds nice but, unmodded, it sounds like players worth one third the price. I think the Hugo sounds great but not like the messiah people make it to be. And I think the X5 was not far from the 901 even though it costs much less.

But I do think the best among the DAPs make a significant difference versus an idevice. And that is JUST my opinion, and I consider I have limited buyer's bias, because us French people love to complain that what we bought is crap.
Edited by Mimouille - 1/2/15 at 1:12am
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSamuels28 View Post

I bought ASG 2.5's
 

I hope you like them!

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Hello Eke, this morning in my shower I told myself : he is going to catch you on the esk / esque thing. Besides I did not find Lee's post aggressive.

You may conduct your tests however you want and we may disagree in the end on how we appreciate the differences between DAPs. For instance, the ZX1 is a great DAP but too bright and brittle sounding to my ears and with boosted mid bass when I compared to the 901. The 901 with a good amp card remains my favorite and that comes from owning all these DAPs and testing side by side with different IEMs. I went to the Apple store because I told myself an idevice would be nice for convenience. The itouch sounded quite odd to my ears and I did not have prejudice as I used an IPC for year and still have it.

I do not agree with what most people say and follow my ears. I can give you examples. I think the AK120 sounds very average. I think the Ak240 sounds nice but, unmodded, it sounds like players worth one third the price. I think the Hugo sounds great but not like the messiah people make it to be. And I think the X5 was not far from the 901 even though it costs much less.

But I do think the best among the DAPs make a significant difference versus an idevice. And that is JUST my opinion, and I consider I have limited buyer's bias, because us French people love to complain that what we bought is crap.

 

 

It was more of a Petyr Baelish type insult than an overt one. All I read was "oh, my golden ears are such a burden. Life would be easier and cheaper if i weren't so special" *faints*

 

 

When I say the things I do about these boutique DAPs, they have nothing to do with the owners. In fact, I really only bring them up when someone asks a question. The issue for me is their value proposition. 

 

When you say the X5 isn't far from the HM-901, it makes me curious what you listen for. I didn't find the X5 to sound worse, or better, than the HM901. Just different, with a slightly more euphonic midrange. I don't find the Sansa Clip+ to sound better or worse than either. It's just a flatter sound signature, similar to the iPhone 4 and ZX1. The ZX1 and iP4 sound, to me, the exact same. 

 

Like I said in my write up, electronics these days have advanced to the point where DAPs fail via sins of commission, like noise floor, high OI, etc. The rest is sound tuning differences, IMO, slight ones too. This is where I cannot begin to begin to justify what the boutique ones cost nowadays. I get even more annoyed when people say that it's capitalism at work, because most basic economic principles don't apply when it comes to such a niche hobby. In photography, you can look at the images a camera produces before deciding to spend money on it, as well as specs like burst rate and ISO capabilities. In audio you are completely dependent on other people's impressions, unless you're lucky enough to audition them yourself, and we know how dependable people are.

 

Do me a favor, Mim. Head to an Apple store. I say Apple because they are the best selling phones on the market, and their phones are now virtually ubiquitous. Load up a song on one of your DAPs, then try to find it on Spotify (320kbps if you can) on the demo phones. Try to equalize the volume as best as you can, because many an audiophile has spent serious cash due to volume-induced differences. A/B the two using the same phones, then ask yourself if you think it's worth it or not. If you still do, I promise to leave you alone :)

post #27 of 76
I will not because if you are right, will have to reconvert all my library from FLAC to aiff and that is just tiresome.
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

I will not because if you are right, will have to reconvert all my library from FLAC to aiff and that is just tiresome.

 

*cough* aac 256 sounds the same *cough*

 

:beerchug:

post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

*cough* aac 256 sounds the same *cough*

beerchug.gif
On an idevice mp3 64 is enough wink.gif
post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


On an idevice mp3 64 is enough wink.gif

 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxE4pHDJDo8gDjLmy1qXqpowblS_dOHATc9S-dFVoj3ikRR0jPug

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: