Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Modding the RME HDSP 9632
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modding the RME HDSP 9632 - Page 3

post #31 of 106
Thread Starter 
Of course! I already did one on the HDSP, to the EMU, it was quite lackluster compared to even the stock EMU. I will post it later. Of course I will also do it after the mods.
post #32 of 106
You can bypass the 501Y and it's attenuation resistors with silver wire. That will set the levels at a fixed value.
post #33 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dip16amp
You can bypass the 501Y and it's attenuation resistors with silver wire. That will set the levels at a fixed value.

Hmm I think I might just have to do that, the high gain mode sounds best anyways.

I was doing some listening tonight to the card so i am familiar with how it sounds before mods, so I decided to try 176.4kHz upsampling, and WHAM! IT's great. Best 3D soundstage I've heard short of the Accupahse or Electrocompaniet CDP's, and a nice warmth to the vocals. Cymbals and drums still don't hit as nicely as the EMU but I'm pretty sure the mods will fix that. I think I am going to have to get me a 9632 to take over for the EMU. The drivers are too nice and the great upsampling results without mods (mids/soudnstage are better than the modded EMU) have convinced me. My wallet hates you Alex, but my ears couldn't be happier Thanks for loaning me this card, I never would have ponied up $550 to try it on my own. Once I am done you will have both the best CDP and soundcard I've ever heard, not to mention the best electrostatic rig I've ever heard. You must be doing something right in life
post #34 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Hmm I think I might just have to do that, the high gain mode sounds best anyways.

I was doing some listening tonight to the card so i am familiar with how it sounds before mods, so I decided to try 176.4kHz upsampling, and WHAM! IT's great. Best 3D soundstage I've heard short of the Accupahse or Electrocompaniet CDP's, and a nice warmth to the vocals. Cymbals and drums still don't hit as nicely as the EMU but I'm pretty sure the mods will fix that. I think I am going to have to get me a 9632 to take over for the EMU. The drivers are too nice and the great upsampling results without mods (mids/soudnstage are better than the modded EMU) have convinced me. My wallet hates you Alex, but my ears couldn't be happier Thanks for loaning me this card, I never would have ponied up $550 to try it on my own. Once I am done you will have both the best CDP and soundcard I've ever heard, not to mention the best electrostatic rig I've ever heard. You must be doing something right in life
LOL! Peter and his neverending saga of upgraditis...
post #35 of 106
Ok, I really didn't like the stock RME Pad, but if:

Modded Hdsp9632 > Modded E-Mu > Stock Hdsp > Stock E-Mu > PAD + Mods V2 > PAD + Mods V1 > Stock PAD,

then I may have to give this computer audio thing another shot soon. Looking forward to the result of these mods! BTW, Iron_Dreamer, what power supply do you use in your computer? I imagine I would want something better than my old Antec TruePower 380W for these cards?
post #36 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling
Ok, I really didn't like the stock RME Pad, but if:

Modded Hdsp9632 > Modded E-Mu > Stock Hdsp > Stock E-Mu > PAD + Mods V2 > PAD + Mods V1 > Stock PAD,

then I may have to give this computer audio thing another shot soon. Looking forward to the result of these mods! BTW, Iron_Dreamer, what power supply do you use in your computer? I imagine I would want something better than my old Antec TruePower 380W for these cards?
I don't recall the model number but it's a modded (panaflo fan) PC Power & Cooling PSU.
post #37 of 106
Well I've just got to hear it to believe it.

High gain on my system isn't as good and neither is upsampling.

But if it's close, the RME would make a good all in one since you can play movies bypassing kmixer. The easy drivers are nice but I like the emu's drivers because I can use multiple sound APIs at the same time. With my PST, I couldn't use ASIO and directsound at the same time. Can you verify that HDSP can or cannot? Also, how is gaming on the HDSP? If it uses emulated directsound drivers, it'll probably be slow/stuttery. If you can't do this test send it to me

Don't forget to take measurements.

If you can't do external digital output test, send it to me I will compare it to emu's digital output.
post #38 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan
Can you verify that HDSP can or cannot? Also, how is gaming on the HDSP?

Yes... does the hdsp have an onboard mixer that the rme lacks? I remember how annoyed I was when I discovered I could only play one source at a time when I first got my rme. And does she have directsound support?
post #39 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling
Ok, I really didn't like the stock RME Pad, but if:

Modded Hdsp9632 > Modded E-Mu > Stock Hdsp > Stock E-Mu > PAD + Mods V2 > PAD + Mods V1 > Stock PAD,

then I may have to give this computer audio thing another shot soon. Looking forward to the result of these mods! BTW, Iron_Dreamer, what power supply do you use in your computer? I imagine I would want something better than my old Antec TruePower 380W for these cards?

Yes that progression is true, however, right now I'm enjoying the stock HDSP 9632 about as much if not more than my modded EMU. Of course it cost a good bit more!

I am using the top-of-the-line PC Power&Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 deluxe, and yes it was expensive, but I was fed up with cheap and crappy PSU's and wanted it to no longer be an issue in my system. It also helped out the sound quality quite a bit.

To answer lan's questions, I have not tried it with any games, since I don't game any more, there is a mixer which of course the Digi series didn't have, and I believe you can mix different API outputs together (i.e. DS & ASIO) based on looking at the mixer, though I ahven't acutally done it yet. I get this impression because there are seperate areas for monitoring playback and output. Finally I don't have the gear to test the digital output, so maybe I will have to send it to you, if Alex approves
post #40 of 106
That 501Y could also be this SLF 0905 - 501Y line filter.
http://www.chipcomponent.com/smd_lin...s_slf_0905.htm
Bypassing it may or may not sound better. Worth a try.
post #41 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dip16amp
That 501Y could also be this SLF 0905 - 501Y line filter.
http://www.chipcomponent.com/smd_lin...s_slf_0905.htm
Bypassing it may or may not sound better. Worth a try.
Thanks dip! I think you hit the nail on the head, their schematic looks identical to the parts on this card. I think I will leave it alone for now. Maybe if the mods don't work so good, this part might be limiting them, then I will bypass it. this part also could have something to do with why the card sounds so good compared to the Digi96, despite the same DAC/OPAMPs.
post #42 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dip16amp
That 501Y could also be this SLF 0905 - 501Y line filter.
http://www.chipcomponent.com/smd_lin...s_slf_0905.htm
Bypassing it may or may not sound better. Worth a try.
lol, I was looking at that page when I was wondering if it could be a line filter... no one bothered to see if it was right or not.

but anyways, if lan promises not to keep the card for too long, he can borrow it for the digital tests. any digital mods available?

Iron_Dreamer - you should tell me what settings you are using so I can do the same when I get it. I've been too lazy and haven't messed around with them too much.
post #43 of 106
I assume Iron Dreamer would've used it long enough that it would be burned in so I wouldn't need it for long. I'll compare the digital quality output using a DAC and a digital amp. See how it performs (for better or worst) using an external clock. See how it games. See how it compares to non resampled movie playback vs my RME PST ---adat--> emu. It'll be tougher for me to try the analog outs since my computer is far away from my amp but I'll try. Thanks Alex.
post #44 of 106
Thread Starter 
So I guess the next stop for this card after mods is lan's place. If you could PM me your address, sir lan, that would be great

The blackgates should be getting here today, so I will put them on alone and see how much a difference it makes, as compared with when I put on the polypropylenes and new opamps with improved decoupling.
post #45 of 106
Sale is pending on my Zu Cable and someone is interested in buying my Little More Power amp, so I'll be able to get the funds to buy the HDSP 9632 that way.

Hmmm. I'll have to sell my RME PAD's on eBay to buy R10 replacement ear pads too.

Well, if you can wait a bit, I'll have a stock RME HDSP 9632 to compare directly against the modded one. Or I guess maybe have Lan send it back to you, Peter. By then I should have the stock RME HDSP 9632, hopefully.

I was very impressed at how it stacked up against the Meridian 588 and Linn Ikemi. Hopefully the mods will bring it up to level closer to them, or GASP. Beyond even? I actually didn't like the Meridian that much. I did like the Accuphase, although not it's price tag, though.

I still have to do the PCI bus power bypass mod. Looks like the RME HDSP 9632 is an excellent candidate. I'll use my older RME PAD as a guinea pig first, though. Nah, I'll use my Soundblaster Live! as the first test run.

-Ed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Modding the RME HDSP 9632