or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Please Help Recommend Universal IEMs for J-Pop/J-Rock around $500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please Help Recommend Universal IEMs for J-Pop/J-Rock around $500

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I'll start off with my preferred sound signature.

 

-Slightly warm, but with enough mids and treble to keep the music alive, otherwise fairly balanced

 

-As a sound reference, I'm loving the sound of my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9

 

-Vocals similar to ESW9 but without the male vocals sounding a little nasal

 

-I'm terribly sensitive to sibilance but a little should be fine

 

-I would like a decent soundstage (or at least a bit more spacious than the Etymotic HF5)

 

-Speaking of which, I will be upgrading from my Etymotic HF5 which I love but I want something more "exciting"

 

-I will be using these at school and the bus for casually listening

 

_______________________________________________________

 

My needs/preferences

 

-Easily driven (Sony Xperia Z3V or Fiio Andes E07K)

 

-45 degree angle jack (preferred) otherwise, extremely beefy jack ie. RHA T10

 

-Carrying case

 

-Over-the-ear design (preferred)

 

-Replaceable cable (preferred) that doesn't swivel ie. Logitech UE900

 

-Sturdy cables that don't twist around on their own (AHEM ESW9'S CABLE)

 

-Amazing noise isolation (NEED) ie. Etymotic HF5

 

-Subtle coloring (black, gray; preferred)

 

-Decent build quality

 

-Universal IEMs, no CIEMs

 

-Can buy locally (Best Buy, Guitar Center) or on Amazon

 

-Preferably from a well recognized brand (Sennheiser, Audio Technica)

 

-No mics

 

 

I may be missing some things that I may put in as I think ^

_______________________________________________________

 

I have been looking at:

 

-Logitech UE900 (hesitating because quality control)

 

-Shure SE535

 

_______________________________________________________

 

As references to what I listen to:

Complication (Still Struggle) (Click to show)

 

Kalafina - "Hikari no Senritsu" (Click to show)

 

Kalafina - "to the beginning" (Click to show)

 

EGOIST - "Extra Terrestrial Biological Entities" (Click to show)

 

Natsumi Kiyoura - "Tabi no Tochuu" (Click to show)

 

Chelly - "The Everlasting Guilty Crown" (Click to show)

 

Mika Kobayashi - "Bauklotze" (Click to show)

 

Yanagi Nagi - "Aqua Terrarium" (Click to show)

 

FLOW - "COLORS" (Click to show)

 

Atari Kousuke - "Natsu Yuuzora" (Click to show)

 

nano - "Just be Friends" (Click to show)

 

Mai Yamane - The Real Folk Blues (Click to show)

 

https://soundcloud.com/feilong4/aimer-starringchild

 

https://soundcloud.com/feilong4/kazuki-remix-with-yuuki-ozaki-from-galileo-galilei

 

I listen to all kinds of music but my playlist mostly consists of J-Pop/J-Rock.

 

Thanks and tell me if I'm missing anything vital!

 

EDIT: And yes, I have checked out the "300+ IEMs reviewed" thread


Edited by Feilong4 - 12/20/14 at 10:06pm
post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 

Bump. Any recommendations that can point me to an IEM would be nice.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Bump. Any suggestions?

post #4 of 11

Go with the Shure SE535. You can't possibly go wrong with that suggestion.

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

Bump. Any recommendations that can point me to an IEM would be nice.

What IEM did you end up getting? We listen to seemingly identical music genres, and have similar preferences. 

 

PS: How is the Z3v? I ended up going Note 4, and the battery life is sort of bad. 5-6 hours on screen, maybe less. 

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire5003 View Post
 

What IEM did you end up getting? We listen to seemingly identical music genres, and have similar preferences. 

 

PS: How is the Z3v? I ended up going Note 4, and the battery life is sort of bad. 5-6 hours on screen, maybe less. 

I haven't bought an IEM yet, but I am planning on getting the Audio Technica ATH-IM03 since of the 2 cans I've owned from Audio Technica, I loved them both (ESW9A and M50S).

 

Just saving up for a pair and reading reviews which there isn't many of.

 

The Z3V is alright. I'm not a heavy user but with music continually playing for 8 hours straight and the screen about half brightness, I get about 85-90% left from 100%.

 

One noteworthy thing is that I can hear hissing/static when I have my Etymotic HF5 on and distorts on Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" while fading out; I haven't really noticed it on other tracks so it's possible I got a bad version (Flac). EDIT: I had the dynamic option thing turned on = lively sound but loud hisses.


Edited by Feilong4 - 2/14/15 at 1:09pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

I haven't bought an IEM yet, but I am planning on getting the Audio Technica ATH-IM03 since of the 2 cans I've owned from Audio Technica, I loved them both (ESW9A and M50S).

 

Just saving up for a pair and reading reviews which there isn't many of.

 

The Z3V is alright. I'm not a heavy user but with music continually playing for 8 hours straight and the screen about half brightness, I get about 85-90% left from 100%.

 

One noteworthy thing is that I can hear hissing/static when I have my Etymotic HF5 on and distorts on Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" while fading out; I haven't really noticed it on other tracks so it's possible I got a bad version (Flac). 

Ah I see. Audio Technica is interesting. My VSonic GR07's are dying (left driver sounds like a boombox), so I've been considering Yamaha EPH-100SL or SE215. I saw some SE535 for $350 new which caught my eye.

 

Honestly I just want a detailed yet warmer sounding IEM. I find J-Music (Vocaloid, JPop, JRock etc) all sounds good on that type of can/iem.

 

Glad to hear good things about the Z3v, I'll probably end up exchanging my Note 4 or waiting for the Z4. Verizon is so slow when it comes to getting Sony phones :(. 

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 

Update: I bought the Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 as I got for quite a steal imported on ebay. 

 

I've been using them a lot from school to everywhere for about two weeks now.

 

 

First, the aluminum or metal housings seem to catch static which isn't a deal breaker but I thought I should mention it.

 

My unit had a weird glue or some adhesive above the right nozzle which doesn't affect the sound or whatnot but I thought I should mention that as well.

 

I really like the chunky and bulky 90 degree plug especially since I will be pulling my phone in and out of my pockets a lot.

 

The housings are pretty big despite how it looks in the picture. The housing is probably about the size of a nickel. I say probably because I am too lazy to pull them out to size them.

 

The cables are rubberized and are so quite microphonic. Going off of that, isolation is about average or below average (especially since coming from an Etymotic) I am using some spiral tips from a DIY IE800 I got from Aliexpress. They fit nicely on the nozzles. I don't like how easily the earpieces fall out of the ear, but the metallic earpieces do not touch my ears. Very shallow fit (again, coming from an Etymotic)

 

My take on the sound:

 

I've burned them in for over 70 hours and have been listening to them probably for a whole lot more. 

 

The bass is quite powerful, but not powerful as in bloaty but is very punchy and authoritative, yet it is very clean and isn't boomy.

 

The mids, I really don't really have anything noteworthy to say but it's there I guess. Detailed and nice; great on gui

 

Treble, surprisingly detailed and not sibilant at the same time, not exactly airy but there is that feeling that you are listening to around-the-ear headphones. This is probably due to the eartips and not because of the sound.

 

Now, take my thoughts with a grain of salt but what I can say is that I like them, but I don't love them. I have to keep adjusting them and they fall out of my ears pretty easily which is something I, and probably what all of us, hate. The sound is good, but it was lower than my expectations. 

 

I might be getting an ATH-IM03 to do a comparison and sell (or return) the one I don't like as much. Again, it is because the falling out of my ear and constant adjustment thing.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

Update: I bought the Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 as I got for quite a steal imported on ebay. 

 

I've been using them a lot from school to everywhere for about two weeks now.

 

 

First, the aluminum or metal housings seem to catch static which isn't a deal breaker but I thought I should mention it.

 

My unit had a weird glue or some adhesive above the right nozzle which doesn't affect the sound or whatnot but I thought I should mention that as well.

 

I really like the chunky and bulky 90 degree plug especially since I will be pulling my phone in and out of my pockets a lot.

 

The housings are pretty big despite how it looks in the picture. The housing is probably about the size of a nickel. I say probably because I am too lazy to pull them out to size them.

 

The cables are rubberized and are so quite microphonic. Going off of that, isolation is about average or below average (especially since coming from an Etymotic) I am using some spiral tips from a DIY IE800 I got from Aliexpress. They fit nicely on the nozzles. I don't like how easily the earpieces fall out of the ear, but the metallic earpieces do not touch my ears. Very shallow fit (again, coming from an Etymotic)

 

My take on the sound:

 

I've burned them in for over 70 hours and have been listening to them probably for a whole lot more. 

 

The bass is quite powerful, but not powerful as in bloaty but is very punchy and authoritative, yet it is very clean and isn't boomy.

 

The mids, I really don't really have anything noteworthy to say but it's there I guess. Detailed and nice; great on gui

 

Treble, surprisingly detailed and not sibilant at the same time, not exactly airy but there is that feeling that you are listening to around-the-ear headphones. This is probably due to the eartips and not because of the sound.

 

Now, take my thoughts with a grain of salt but what I can say is that I like them, but I don't love them. I have to keep adjusting them and they fall out of my ears pretty easily which is something I, and probably what all of us, hate. The sound is good, but it was lower than my expectations. 

 

I might be getting an ATH-IM03 to do a comparison and sell (or return) the one I don't like as much. Again, it is because the falling out of my ear and constant adjustment thing.

Fit is pretty tricky on the CKR10, Have you tried Spiral Dot tip from JVC? 

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleshark12 View Post
 

Fit is pretty tricky on the CKR10, Have you tried Spiral Dot tip from JVC? 

Yup, forgot to update for that.

I have the medium tips, but they still a bit big or something because they do fall out of my ears quite easily and don't isolate very well in my experience.

Because, it took like 3 weeks for them to arrive, I put on some Sony Hybrids and they were perfectly for me.

Though, I use a different tip for the left earpiece because my left ear canal is a different fit and size from my right.

I use a small sony hybrid tip for the right earpiece and a medium whirlwind eartip from Aliexpress for my left. Works well for me.

I'll upload some pictures if I remember when I get home.

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

Yup, forgot to update for that.

I have the medium tips, but they still a bit big or something because they do fall out of my ears quite easily and don't isolate very well in my experience.

Because, it took like 3 weeks for them to arrive, I put on some Sony Hybrids and they were perfectly for me.

Though, I use a different tip for the left earpiece because my left ear canal is a different fit and size from my right.

I use a small sony hybrid tip for the right earpiece and a medium whirlwind eartip from Aliexpress for my left. Works well for me.

I'll upload some pictures if I remember when I get home.

If M is still small maybe considering ML size? 

 

Left is M, Right side is ML. A bit bigger. or maybe Spinfit tips?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Please Help Recommend Universal IEMs for J-Pop/J-Rock around $500