or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV - Page 70

post #1036 of 1927

Btw guys I thought I was already hearing the full capabilites of the Layla but... :basshead: OMG it just keeps opening up more and more to the point that it's ridiculous.

 

WTF??? I haven't been this blown away since I first got into this hobby and heard the LCD-2 for the first time. I was pretty sure this kind of experience would never happen again since I was a "veteran" of lots and lots of hyped up gear. I'm basically having my newbie-popping-my-first-cherry experience again. The utter transparency/clarity/refinement is just insane, better than K812 or HD800 or anything else I've heard. The balance is absolutely perfect too, reference neutral yet somehow fun at the same time. It does everything and it does everything right. My god is this thing spraying fairy dust into my ears? Why am I writing so much fanboy BS??? :confused:

 

This is not just better than the K3003/SE846/IE800, it dominates. it obliterates. It's in a different class. Yeah that's a hyperbole but that's just how I hear it. If it gets any better it's going to warp space time and I'll be standing in the recording studio.

 

I'm kind of sorry I wrote this like a fanboy lunatic but the reasoning side of my brain has been melted by Layla. She is a singing angel crafted by the glorious Head-Fi gods. Untouchable.


Edited by M-13 - 3/16/15 at 6:58am
post #1037 of 1927

M-13, 

 

Looks like Layla has bitten you hard my friend! Her voice has infected your soul.  She is very intoxicating and mesmerizing. lol Enjoy her charms...

 

I was completely blown-away myself at one point of testing between the Shure SE-846's and Layla right at the point when I put on some metal like... Metallica and Nirvana.  It was a  "HOLY COW" this is a full-on concert.  At that moment of the comparison the 846's didn't stand a chance.  Layla just smoked them so bad!   

 

Sincerely,

-Speed

post #1038 of 1927

M-13  what is the rest of your setup with the Layla?

 

I just ordered a pair from JHA today. I didn't do the carbon fiber so maybe it will be a quicker turnaround time.

 

thanks

post #1039 of 1927

Anyone tried the Layla with the Chord Hugo? If so, is it a great combination?

post #1040 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post
 

Anyone tried the Layla with the Chord Hugo? If so, is it a great combination?

Yes fantastic

post #1041 of 1927
Has anyone tried JH Layla / Roxanne with the cypher labs rig (solo DB + duet) ? How does it compare to Hugo in terms of sound quality? I have read that cypherlabs products are often overlooked but provide very good value performance wise.
post #1042 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Btw guys I thought I was already hearing the full capabilites of the Layla but... :basshead: OMG it just keeps opening up more and more to the point that it's ridiculous.

 

WTF??? I haven't been this blown away since I first got into this hobby and heard the LCD-2 for the first time. I was pretty sure this kind of experience would never happen again since I was a "veteran" of lots and lots of hyped up gear. I'm basically having my newbie-popping-my-first-cherry experience again. The utter transparency/clarity/refinement is just insane, better than K812 or HD800 or anything else I've heard. The balance is absolutely perfect too, reference neutral yet somehow fun at the same time. It does everything and it does everything right. My god is this thing spraying fairy dust into my ears? Why am I writing so much fanboy BS??? :confused:

 

This is not just better than the K3003/SE846/IE800, it dominates. it obliterates. It's in a different class. Yeah that's a hyperbole but that's just how I hear it. If it gets any better it's going to warp space time and I'll be standing in the recording studio.

 

I'm kind of sorry I wrote this like a fanboy lunatic but the reasoning side of my brain has been melted by Layla. She is a singing angel crafted by the glorious Head-Fi gods. Untouchable.

 

Pretty much my assessments. I've said it before, I've only been truly "wowed" a handful of times (in order of occurrence):  

 

1.) When my HD800s first arrived in early 2010

2.) When my LCD-2s first arrived (these are the originals that were initially released many years ago. These were such a paradigm shifting pair of headphones for me.

3.) When I first heard the SR-007Mk1's properly driven.

4.) When my SR-009s arrived.

 

...and now I can add when the hearing the Layla's for the first time. I never thought an IEM could do this. This is going to be one easy review to write up. I certainly wasn't expecting this. 

post #1043 of 1927

Hey, M-13, will it be ok after I get my Layla custom and pair it with the Hugo, I will compare that to the Layla Universal and let you know how much better is that ;-) Just kidding you, I am sure it sounds great to you. I can't wait to get mine.


Edited by Jalo - 3/16/15 at 5:50pm
post #1044 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalo View Post
 

Hey, M-13, will it be ok after I get my Layla custom and pair it with the Hugo, I will compare that to the Layla Universal and let you know how much better is that ;-) Just kidding you, I am sure it sounds great to you. I can't wait to get mine.

...and when the successors come out in the future, you'll be looking at a huge resale loss....I keed...I keed.  :smile:

 

Seriously...you are in for a treat!

post #1045 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

Pretty much my assessments. I've said it before, I've only been truly "wowed" a handful of times (in order of occurrence):  

 

1.) When my HD800s first arrived in early 2010

2.) When my LCD-2s first arrived (these are the originals that were initially released many years ago. These were such a paradigm shifting pair of headphones for me.

3.) When I first heard the SR-007Mk1's properly driven.

4.) When my SR-009s arrived.

 

...and now I can add when the hearing the Layla's for the first time. I never thought an IEM could do this. This is going to be one easy review to write up. I certainly wasn't expecting this. 

 

Would you say that the Layla's are so good that you do not expect to be reaching for your full sized cans anymore, or just that they are amazing for an IEM, but overall a TOTL full size headphone with a proper amp still has better overall sound? 

post #1046 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

...and when the successors come out in the future, you'll be looking at a huge resale loss....I keed...I keed.  :smile:

 

Seriously...you are in for a treat!

If you say that five ten years ago, I'll say you have a good point.  But seriously, from what you guys are saying how good the uni Layla is at present, how much more room do you think they can improve on the current technology?  I'll say not much, may be a different signature but definitely not in sound quality.  If you go back to the looong JH13 thread there was a post showing an eighteen driver earpiece but that was a joke.  I am almost happy to just keep my JH13 forever, but what the heck, I'll just get the Custom Layla so I can tell you it is 50% better than your uni and since you cannot compare yours to mine, you cannot disagree with me ;;-)

post #1047 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalo View Post
 

If you say that five ten years ago, I'll say you have a good point.  But seriously, from what you guys are saying how good the uni Layla is at present, how much more room do you think they can improve on the current technology?  I'll say not much, may be a different signature but definitely not in sound quality.  If you go back to the looong JH13 thread there was a post showing an eighteen driver earpiece but that was a joke.  I am almost happy to just keep my JH13 forever, but what the heck, I'll just get the Custom Layla so I can tell you it is 50% better than your uni and since you cannot compare yours to mine, you cannot disagree with me ;;-)

 

Seriously...the resale of customs is a big impediment for most; just have a look at the resale prices. Plus, these are a review pair for me for Headphone.guru. Though sending them back is gonna be hard. :p 

post #1048 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

...and when the successors come out in the future, you'll be looking at a huge resale loss....I keed...I keed.  :smile:

 

Seriously...you are in for a treat!

But if by chance the technology is able to improve on the Layla (I mean the custom version;-)) significantly in five years or so, I'll consider the Layla is well used and worth the price and I'll have no regret to give the Layla to someone, and that someone could be you.  Well time to watch the Voice.

post #1049 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalo View Post
 

But if by chance the technology is able to improve on the Layla (I mean the custom version;-)) significantly in five years or so, I'll consider the Layla is well used and worth the price and I'll have no regret to give the Layla to someone, and that someone could be you.  Well time to watch the Voice.

 

5 years? THIS IS HEAD-FI!!! Things move so much quicker. LOL

post #1050 of 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

Seriously...the resale of customs is a big impediment for most; just have a look at the resale prices. Plus, these are a review pair for me for Headphone.guru. Though sending them back is gonna be hard. :p 

You are right.  Jerry Harvey really should adopt the Noble policy and allow a reshell service for the second owner. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV