Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › "TANGERINE DREAM" Who are they? &; what influence have they had in Electronic music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"TANGERINE DREAM" Who are they? &; what influence have they had in Electronic music? - Page 2

post #16 of 30
I'm not too experienced with TD, I've listened to their Mars Polaris album (or whatever it's called) and wasn't too impressed... was that the soundtrack to a documentary or something?)

Anyway I used to have an MP3 of "Touchwood" which I loved, I copied it off a friend's CD... I lost it now though and can't find it again.

Which album is Touchwood from? Also, can anyone recommend any other TD stuff that I might also like (given my comments above)?
post #17 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmonkey
I'm not too experienced with TD, I've listened to their Mars Polaris album (or whatever it's called) and wasn't too impressed... was that the soundtrack to a documentary or something?)

Anyway I used to have an MP3 of "Touchwood" which I loved, I copied it off a friend's CD... I lost it now though and can't find it again.

Which album is Touchwood from? Also, can anyone recommend any other TD stuff that I might also like (given my comments above)?

Melrose
Goblin's Club
Lily on the Beach
Rockoon
Tyranny of Beauty
Turn of the Tides
220 Volt Live
Underwater Sunlight
Rubycon
post #18 of 30
as far as the true birth of electronic music you need to head even farther back

Leo Theremin (sp?) & Clara Rockmore

Bob Moog

Iannis Xenakis is one to check out for sure

if you really want to find some interesting stuff.... very conceptual check out CDCM electronic music series.... i think it is 20 volumes......

Silver Apples in the early sixties had the kraftwerk sound already..... although they aren't as "accessible" as Kraftwerk
post #19 of 30
As far as the origination of electronica in the early days you have to give credit to a few other big names also, not just the people who played a synth. TD played a big role because there were one of the first to use computers with there music and have large elaborate machines to creat sound.

I aslo think that Tubular Bells plays a big role by introducing complex arrangements of different sounds,

Let us not forget Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis

Also I would say that Vangelis and Mike Oldfield are modern day composers using modern day instruments

Vangelis began composing his music at the age of five and has been credited as being todays modern mozart but that's just somebody opionion.

There alot of people who play a large role in electronica these days. I know for a fact that from my father exposing me to the the aformentioned people it helped develope my tasts into what they are today. I listen to mostly just psytrance. The way I look at it the more complicated the better
post #20 of 30
Can anyone tell me which Tangerine Dream album "Touchwood" is from?
post #21 of 30
According to "Rhapsody"

"Touchwood" is listen on the following albums:

True North
Atlantic Bridges
Rockoon
Celestial Voyagers
Tournado
The Dream Mixes (listed as "the forest mix")
post #22 of 30
Thanks mate...

I don't like the Forest Mix, do you know which is the original? Is it the same version repeated on all the other ones?
post #23 of 30
I wouldn't know about that bro, but the earliest discography release for this track is on Rockoon, (1992). Celestial Voyagers and True North are multi-artist albums. My best guess is that those are just copies of the original track off of Rockoon. I couldn't audition any of them due to unavailability, so I can't say for sure. Good hunting.
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budley007
I wouldn't know about that bro, but the earliest discography release for this track is on Rockoon, (1992). Celestial Voyagers and True North are multi-artist albums. My best guess is that those are just copies of the original track off of Rockoon. I couldn't audition any of them due to unavailability, so I can't say for sure. Good hunting.
Thanks man, Celestial Voyagers rings a bell now that you mention it specifically as a compilation album, it may be the one I got it off in the first place. I'll hunt it down. Otherwise Rockoon.

Awesome.
post #25 of 30
Mmmn well I found Touchwood, I love that piece...

Also got hold of "Force Majuere", getting to like that album now too... it's quite laid back but I recommend it.
post #26 of 30
I don't have Force Majuere, but I like the laid back stuff. Guess I'll have to add that to my list. I plan on revisting all my TD titles again soon. Just waiting for a slow rainy Saturday. Thanks for the recommendation bro.
post #27 of 30
I'm amazed no one mentions the 2 track live album Pergamon AKA Quichotte TD live at the Palast Der Republik GDR

Quichotte part one amazing piano intro morphing seamlessly into a cacophony of exquisite electronic melodies followed by
Quichotte part two possibly IMO TD finest hour (20+ minutes) Edgar Froese's amazing trance inducing guitar work is sublime and continues and continues with a beautiful electronic harmonies pulsing 'just behind' Guitar for me takes centre stage. I love the albeit shortened recording of the live audiences appluding at the end.

Not sure but I think the esoteric recordings (EREACD 1026) has the best remastering I have heard so far.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtim6 View Post

I'm amazed no one mentions the 2 track live album Pergamon AKA Quichotte TD live at the Palast Der Republik GDR

Quichotte part one amazing piano intro morphing seamlessly into a cacophony of exquisite electronic melodies followed by
Quichotte part two possibly IMO TD finest hour (20+ minutes) Edgar Froese's amazing trance inducing guitar work is sublime and continues and continues with a beautiful electronic harmonies pulsing 'just behind' Guitar for me takes centre stage. I love the albeit shortened recording of the live audiences appluding at the end.

Not sure but I think the esoteric recordings (EREACD 1026) has the best remastering I have heard so far.

The multi disc "Tangents - 1973-1983" is amazing.
post #29 of 30

For me, Stratosfear is still my all time favorite from Tangerine Dream. Their early works are all pretty awesome, though...all the way to Pergamon (1980). After that, they went into soapy new agey stuff that I can+t be bothered to like. For those who like Pergamon, I also suggest Phaedra, Rubycon and Richochet. I find it interesting to compare them with early Vangelis stuff (Heaven&Hell, for example)...

post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtim6 View Post

I'm amazed no one mentions the 2 track live album Pergamon AKA Quichotte TD live at the Palast Der Republik GDR

Quichotte part one amazing piano intro morphing seamlessly into a cacophony of exquisite electronic melodies followed by
Quichotte part two possibly IMO TD finest hour (20+ minutes) Edgar Froese's amazing trance inducing guitar work is sublime and continues and continues with a beautiful electronic harmonies pulsing 'just behind' Guitar for me takes centre stage. I love the albeit shortened recording of the live audiences appluding at the end.

Not sure but I think the esoteric recordings (EREACD 1026) has the best remastering I have heard so far.

The entire concert that Pergamon was taken from circulates in superb pre-FM quality (it was distributed as part of the massive "Tangerine Trees" project ten or so years ago). Simply amazing music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine_Tree

The Pergamon show was 1/31/80.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › "TANGERINE DREAM" Who are they? &; what influence have they had in Electronic music?