or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SONY NW-ZX2 DAP - Page 205

post #3061 of 13639

Who here has heard/owns the Calyx M? I must admit that is a DAP I have thought about. Not as yummy looking as the Sony, and I rather doubt the UI will be as good, but I'm interested if it sounds as nice and also offers more power. Not to mention it can be used as a DAC alone so that is a plus.

post #3062 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post


Gotcha, makes perfect sense. Are you using a ZX2 or another DAP? That link gave Canadian pricing, are you also in Canada or was my IP simply detected?
I'm using a ZX-1 and A10 and hopefully a ZX-2 soon. That Website is very useful for products like these and I'm in Singapore. They tend to have free shipping too and once I had even bought a $1 product with free shipping.
post #3063 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpos531 View Post

I'm sure it's fine as it is. The issue is that at the price they are asking for, I expect much better hardware. The way it is at the moment I would be much more willing to buy it if it were a few hundred dollars cheaper.

I suggest you design and manufacturer one with zx2 features and sq and better hardware at a few hundred dollars less.
That will show Sony!
post #3064 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 


Go to the Calyx M thread, most if not all people who have tried both prefer the M although the battery life and UI are bested easily by the ZX2


and why I said to listen before buying. It's somewhat personal but I clearly preferred the ak240 to Calyx M when I auditioned them and here we have a review that the ZX2 is preferred to the AK240. It's obviously not a linear progression or consensus but to be expected.

post #3065 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post

Who here has heard/owns the Calyx M? I must admit that is a DAP I have thought about. Not as yummy looking as the Sony, and I rather doubt the UI will be as good, but I'm interested if it sounds as nice and also offers more power. Not to mention it can be used as a DAC alone so that is a plus.

I spent some time with the Calyx M at a shop here in Toronto, I liked the sound signature a lot. Very smooth, very analogue sounding, especially with DSD files. I thought the UI was decent too. The thing that turned me off of it was the battery life, 5-8 hours isn't nearly enough. The more I use the ZX2 the more I realize how amazing the battery life on this unit is. I've been leaving it playing overnight to speed up the break in and I'm always amazed at how much battery is left. I tend to use the unit in airplane mode until I actually need to use the wifi which I believe helps.
post #3066 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 


and why I said to listen before buying. It's somewhat personal but I clearly preferred the ak240 to Calyx M when I auditioned them and here we have a review that the ZX2 is preferred to the AK240. It's obviously not a linear progression or consensus but to be expected.


Again, it just shows that at this level of DAP, it's more a matter of sound signature preference than quality. Very much like the headphone and iem wars.  I just wish I could audition them all, but I, once again, will have to take a leap of faith!

post #3067 of 13639
Also in regards to pricing on this unit, Is it expensive, yes, but being in the audio game is expensive. It's an amazing piece of portable audio gear and anyone who's bought hi end speakers and amps and record players know it's still a fraction of that investment. Could things be better in terms of features/specs/screen? Probably, this is a specialized computer after all and things are always getting better, but of all the players I looked at/tried out this was the one that put sound quality first and had a more than adequate UI, and amazing battery life. The battery in my opinion is the icing on the cake, no other player comes close. In terms of getting the things that matter most right the Sony hits a home run for me. My criteria was Sound quality/UI/battery. I was sweating the purchase too but now I have absolutely no regrets.
post #3068 of 13639

Anyone have any problems detecting the SD card folder in the Folders section? I can only find folders in the System storage but there is 0 in the SD card folder.

Which is weird as all my songs are listed and playable in the Artists/Albums/Genres etc. I have formatted my 128gb Sandisk to Fat32 btw as it couldn't detect in exFat mode as well.

post #3069 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post

Anyone have any problems detecting the SD card folder in the Folders section? I can only find folders in the System storage but there is 0 in the SD card folder.
Which is weird as all my songs are listed and playable in the Artists/Albums/Genres etc. I have formatted my 128gb Sandisk to Fat32 btw as it couldn't detect in exFat mode as well.

Did you change the storage settings to micro sd before you plugged the unit in? I had to figure that out as well, you can only look at the internal memory or the sd card, never both at the same time.
post #3070 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpinner View Post


Did you change the storage settings to micro sd before you plugged the unit in? I had to figure that out as well, you can only look at the internal memory or the sd card, never both at the same time.

 

Ahh that explains it, thanks! Hope they fix that in the next update...

post #3071 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARIS View Post
 

I mean this one. i insert the picture - but it dissapeared

 

 

Custom made by Music Sanctuary in Singapore. Basically, it is two stock Noble cables that were taken apart and then remade to produce a 4-wire balanced cable. The right one is the stock Noble cable. Double Helix is making me a special all silver cable to my specs and looks like it'll be about a month or so before he gets all the parts and bits to then build it. (Blushing) Am kinda a very picky guy when it comes to equipment and cables.

 

Side Note: Kimber Kable is sending me a custom 100% silver cable (unbalanced) and am building a special assembly so I can hook the NW-ZX2, HA-2 or any 1/8" stereo out jack directly into the car's head unit without anything interfering. Have three different solutions for the car already, yet this one I'm building will be as pure as it can be.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARIS View Post
 

the left one of course

 

Literally LOL'ed, thanks! Really needed a good laugh today as am busy making PSD/PNG/CGXML files for lower thirds and end credits for our AXPONA and THE Show Newport live stream. Using the NewTek Tricaster software is like going back in time to 1996 with software GUI / interface.

post #3072 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post

Ahh that explains it, thanks! Hope they fix that in the next update...

My pleasure!
post #3073 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post
 

Anyone have any problems detecting the SD card folder in the Folders section? I can only find folders in the System storage but there is 0 in the SD card folder.

Which is weird as all my songs are listed and playable in the Artists/Albums/Genres etc. I have formatted my 128gb Sandisk to Fat32 btw as it couldn't detect in exFat mode as well.

I have the same problems... initially I thought that it cant see the card. but I see it in brouser and I see songs in general list. But I cant see the card inside folders section

post #3074 of 13639

Anybody know what the voltage output is for the WM port on the ZX2? Is it also as low as on the A series?

post #3075 of 13639
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpinner View Post

Also in regards to pricing on this unit, Is it expensive, yes, but being in the audio game is expensive. It's an amazing piece of portable audio gear and anyone who's bought hi end speakers and amps and record players know it's still a fraction of that investment. Could things be better in terms of features/specs/screen? Probably, this is a specialized computer after all and things are always getting better, but of all the players I looked at/tried out this was the one that put sound quality first and had a more than adequate UI, and amazing battery life. The battery in my opinion is the icing on the cake, no other player comes close. In terms of getting the things that matter most right the Sony hits a home run for me. My criteria was Sound quality/UI/battery. I was sweating the purchase too but now I have absolutely no regrets.

Totally agreed, but I have learned that to argue the pricing with others is futile. With my experiences on Hi-fi home stereo system. I have no regret, and I can even say that this ZX2 worth more than it cost. Thank you Sony !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP