or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Bose QC25 review (long flight experience included)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bose QC25 review (long flight experience included) - Page 2

post #16 of 59
I've owned several Bose QC models over the years, including my current pair, the QC 15. For travel and outdoor balcony use, these are high quality, suberb sounding phones. For indoor use, I always default to the AKG K812. No comparison. But for reducing noise while still retaining quality sound, these are extremely hard to beat. Despite what many people say about Bose, no one has really come close to beating them in the noise canceling category. In fact, Dr. Bose and his engineering team developed them for aviation and military purposes decades ago, and have perfected them for consumer use. Brand bashing is silly. Every brand has had their share of misfires. No other Audio company to my knowledge has developed quality products with the breadth and scope of Bose.
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

I've owned several Bose QC models over the years, including my current pair, the QC 15. For travel and outdoor balcony use, these are high quality, suberb sounding phones. For indoor use, I always default to the AKG K812. No comparison. But for reducing noise while still retaining quality sound, these are extremely hard to beat. Despite what many people say about Bose, no one has really come close to beating them in the noise canceling category. In fact, Dr. Bose and his engineering team developed them for aviation and military purposes decades ago, and have perfected them for consumer use. Brand bashing is silly. Every brand has had their share of misfires. No other Audio company to my knowledge has developed quality products with the breadth and scope of Bose.

Well said, mac. Bose is clearly going for a different type of consumer, one that puts more stock in comfort and isolation, and they're doing incredibly well in that category. 

post #18 of 59

Howdy!

 

BOSE has a program that allows you to trade in your current device (headphones, sound docks..etc.. for a newer model. I had the QC over the ear model and wasn't happy with them and was able to trade them in and got the QC15s after 3 years. I had to pay $100 but got a new pair. I really like this about BOSE and don't know too many companies that do this. 

 

Give them a call and ask if you can trade your current headphones in.

 

It worked for me!


Edited by JACONE - 11/17/14 at 8:33am
post #19 of 59

Thanks for the review !

post #20 of 59

Nice review!

 

I bought mine at beginning of October when it was on sale on Amazon. The noise cancelling feature is really amazing. I work in a lab full of noise of mechanical pump. This headphone literally reduced the surrounding noise to unnoticeable level. About the sound quality, it felt a little bit muffled and tight at the beginning. But after several hours breaking in, the sound quality improved quite a lot. And now I am very pleased with clear sound it delivers. FYI, the sound quality is much better when the noise cancelling is turned on than when it's not. 

post #21 of 59

I have to say, I've been really impressed with the QC25 too. My last Bose experience was on the QC2, and these are miles better in terms of the noise cancellation tech and sound quality. Comfort has always been excellent on the Bose headsets, and the new folding pattern / smaller case is great if you are flying with only one bag and space is at a premium.

 

I really like the decision to stay away from bluetooth and other power-hungry tech. 35 hours to a battery is great, and there is a slot for a spare in the case. And for the first time, they don't just become bricks if you are out of juice. You can still listen without battery, albeit without noise cancelling and at a very diminished sound quality. The mic cable is surprisingly good for calls too (and detachable), making it really easy to phone someone in a noisy airport environment or taxi to your final destination.

 

Is it going to beat out my home rig (LCD-2 into Burson 160DS)? No --- but the sound quality is way better than I'd come to expect from Bose. It's a really well done piece of kit for the price.

post #22 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiioforMeOh View Post

Just got an office job and have been using their predecessor for the last year. Would you say it's worth the upgrade?

Nice I put on sound btw, if they are more detailed than the 15's it's a done deal. It's nice to see more people reaching out and seeing that most bose bashers are full of it.

Btw how far did you crank up the volume to achieve a comfortable listening experience?

For me, the whole aspect of being able to put any AAA battery was a big advantage, sound definitely has been changed and is more detailed between midrange and low range, you don't get that sense of frequencies are missing when you do casual listening which you get in lot of ANC headphones.

You should try trading them in and upgrade.

On macbook pro I had to crank up to almost 80%, on iphone 6, I was listening at 60%. portable headphone amp definitely makes them more transient and improves the bass as well as overall volume levels.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

I found the QC15 unlistenably harsh in the upper mids and treble. Not bright, just harsh as in the frequency response is very rough and uneven with lots of narrow dips and peaks. Does the QC25 improve greatly in this regard?

Bose QC25 are nothing harsh, infact its a very non fatiguing sound especially when compared to Westone 3. nothing stands out in QC25 and vocals sound very satisfying.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaudio View Post
 

You say in your review that:

 

"Other Active Noise cancelling headphones were out of the question because they just cannot compete on comfort and noise reduction. The question was of sound signature and and improvements."

 

That's presumptuous. i actually listened to a variety of active noise cancelling headphones (including Bose) before I made a purchase and I did not buy Bose because I found others that had a better combination of noise cancelling ability, comfort and sound quality.

different strokes for different folks. Bose qc25 are very light but yet feel premium....for some people that lightweight might bother them and make headphones feel insignificant for that price tag

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolio View Post

Just as an aside I use the Bose QC20 in-ears and would never travel without them. Sure, they don't produce the greatest sound. But their noise cancelling is very effective, they are easy to jam into any kind of carryon and I arrive much more rested after a long series of flights. I regularly make 20 to 30 hour airline trips and this helps keep me sane--even if i just turn on the noise reduction and don't bother with music. You won't catch me using them at home when noise reduction is not an issue, But I think on balance the benefits of decent noise reduction on planes outweighs the lack of fidelity. And they're not horrible in the sound department. I can live with a few hours of imperfect audio to keep my sanity, lol.

its all about lifestyle and at this point in life, Bose fit my lifestyle..when I am mid 30's, i might not even be into headphones anymore and be all about speakers..who knows.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfredo View Post
 

Thanks for the review, Nocturnal310.

 

I have the QC15 and it is a nice headphone.  Not in the same league as of my top headphones, but musical and enjoyable.  And unbeatable on a plane. :-)  I used them with the Fiio X3 + cmoy amp.

 

You made me want to upgrade... :-)

the refined understated design is quite visually attractive to me also..thanks for the feedback!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoHoldini View Post


My sentiments exactly. The QC15 is very spiky/peaky in the upper-mids and higher frequencies. Great NR, but, like you, I find them to be harsh sounding. I would be interested to know how the QC 25 improves the situation, if at all, although the OP's description of increased detail makes me skeptical.

QC25 are not harsh to me at all. by harsh if you mean very bright and louder high range?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

I've owned several Bose QC models over the years, including my current pair, the QC 15. For travel and outdoor balcony use, these are high quality, suberb sounding phones. For indoor use, I always default to the AKG K812. No comparison. But for reducing noise while still retaining quality sound, these are extremely hard to beat. Despite what many people say about Bose, no one has really come close to beating them in the noise canceling category. In fact, Dr. Bose and his engineering team developed them for aviation and military purposes decades ago, and have perfected them for consumer use. Brand bashing is silly. Every brand has had their share of misfires. No other Audio company to my knowledge has developed quality products with the breadth and scope of Bose.

time changes everything...its a fad to bash on Beats nowadays but people who use them must love them.

 

not everyone has time and luxury to sit at home with a huge tube amp and enjoy Sennheiser HD800 and some people just cannot seem to enjoy shoving earphones in their ears.

 

we should be happy that everyone in the consumer market appreciates the need to buy headphones instead of using ibuds...competition has definitely improved the plethora of products out there for every kind of consumer.

Bose definitely upped their game due to Beats eating into their market share.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinerenblanc View Post
 

Well said, mac. Bose is clearly going for a different type of consumer, one that puts more stock in comfort and isolation, and they're doing incredibly well in that category. 

yup, i appreciate Bose being focussed on what they do good and improve on that instead of trying to dump random headphones in the market .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACONE View Post
 

Howdy!

 

BOSE has a program that allows you to trade in your current device (headphones, sound docks..etc.. for a newer model. I had the QC over the ear model and wasn't happy with them and was able to trade them in and got the QC15s after 3 years. I had to pay $100 but got a new pair. I really like this about BOSE and don't know too many companies that do this. 

 

Give them a call and ask if you can trade your current headphones in.

 

It worked for me!

 

I also heard that if you buy directly from Bose store they have this 30 day return policy and some other benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulorc View Post
 

Nice review!

 

I bought mine at beginning of October when it was on sale on Amazon. The noise cancelling feature is really amazing. I work in a lab full of noise of mechanical pump. This headphone literally reduced the surrounding noise to unnoticeable level. About the sound quality, it felt a little bit muffled and tight at the beginning. But after several hours breaking in, the sound quality improved quite a lot. And now I am very pleased with clear sound it delivers. FYI, the sound quality is much better when the noise cancelling is turned on than when it's not. 

yup..its really impressive.

 

i had the best sleep in coach class when i used them as earmuffs without any music playing.

 

 

 

 

P.S:just noticed watching movies on laptop also is a great experience with no ambient noise as my living room faces  a major road.

post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulorc View Post
 

Nice review!

 

I bought mine at beginning of October when it was on sale on Amazon. The noise cancelling feature is really amazing. I work in a lab full of noise of mechanical pump. This headphone literally reduced the surrounding noise to unnoticeable level. About the sound quality, it felt a little bit muffled and tight at the beginning. But after several hours breaking in, the sound quality improved quite a lot. And now I am very pleased with clear sound it delivers. FYI, the sound quality is much better when the noise cancelling is turned on than when it's not. 


Hey - Welcome to the Head-Fi community!!

 

Cheers -

RCBinTN

post #24 of 59

Hello -

 

I've been a Bose enthusiast for years.  I enjoy the reference sound that Bose strives to provide.  We have a pair of 901's driven by a Yamaha amp in our living room - the rig sounds great - decent reference sound.

 

I started using Bose noise-cancelling HPs many years ago, for jet travel.  Progressed through QC1 - QC2 - QC15 to now QC25.  I am currently on my first international trip with the QC25 and I have a few comments:

 

 - The QC25 ear cups are smaller than the QC15.  Close to, but not quite, "on-ear."

 - The design for travel is better - smaller footprint because they fold inward so less space taken up, always a plus.

 - The sound is richer than the QC-15, warmer mids and treble vs. the already noted harsher sound of the QC-15.  Decent bass and fair sound stage.

 - The noise cancelling circuit is great.  I would say even better than the excellent QC-15, if that's possible.  Nearly zero "hum" from the back circuit when it's enabled.  Bose has got the noise cancelling figured out, IMO.

 - Net - the package of noise-cancelling and warmer mid-treble makes it seem more like sitting at home with your primary rig than on a jet at 35,000 feet.

 

Hope this helps -

RCBinTN

post #25 of 59

Hi There 

 

Same experience and feeling with QC3, the isolation effect is strange it ocvers certain frequency nor other, but the impression was incredible! I have sold Sehnnaiser momentum on Ear

 

Cheers

post #26 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBinTN View Post
 

Hello -

 

I've been a Bose enthusiast for years.  I enjoy the reference sound that Bose strives to provide.  We have a pair of 901's driven by a Yamaha amp in our living room - the rig sounds great - decent reference sound.

 

I started using Bose noise-cancelling HPs many years ago, for jet travel.  Progressed through QC1 - QC2 - QC15 to now QC25.  I am currently on my first international trip with the QC25 and I have a few comments:

 

 - The QC25 ear cups are smaller than the QC15.  Close to, but not quite, "on-ear."

 - The design for travel is better - smaller footprint because they fold inward so less space taken up, always a plus.

 - The sound is richer than the QC-15, warmer mids and treble vs. the already noted harsher sound of the QC-15.  Decent bass and fair sound stage.

 - The noise cancelling circuit is great.  I would say even better than the excellent QC-15, if that's possible.  Nearly zero "hum" from the back circuit when it's enabled.  Bose has got the noise cancelling figured out, IMO.

 - Net - the package of noise-cancelling and warmer mid-treble makes it seem more like sitting at home with your primary rig than on a jet at 35,000 feet.

 

Hope this helps -

RCBinTN

you summed it up very well and I would like to add that its a very lifestyle oriented product.

 

I am pretty sure I am gonna be using it very often at work also, with the inline mic and OSX hand off feature, I can listen to music all day and answer calls via my macbook as well

post #27 of 59

Thank you! :)

post #28 of 59
The smaller ear cup size is a concern. I really find over ear more comfortable....essential element of these phones. I'll just stick with the excellent 15's.....and my th900's for home :-)
post #29 of 59

Recently tried a set my brother got.  I was a bit reluctant to listen as everyone always bangs on about how Bose QC were 'good' as far as NC headphones went but not compared to full headphones...well after I tried them, I was amazed how good they sounded, NC or not.  Good bass too (although not perfect, I found them great) !  Mulling over a pair soon perhaps.  And incredibly comfortable!

post #30 of 59

That said, I did feel a possible synthetic feeling to the sound ( Possibly the NC was digitising the sound a bit too much...).  But this was perhaps nothing at all and just in contrast to my own headphones which were closed but I could very much hear the background hum and this was my brain telling me to expect it when it was magically gone..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Bose QC25 review (long flight experience included)