or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 - Page 43  

post #631 of 1339
I always do lunch. It's a nice, calm break from the crowds. Gives you time to geek out with friends/acquaintances over all the fun toys and experiences. It's a good way to make some new friends. Worth the 30-45 minutes of your time, IMO.
You'll remember those exchanges long after the SS of amp "X" fades from your memory.
post #632 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post
 

 

Great idea. I've been eying the UERM for a while now. Maybe I'll finally break at CanJam and get my impressions done.


I recommend it!

post #633 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
 

 

Actually, nothing goes in your ear.  Check out this post from our CES coverage.  The guy in the last two images is me. I didn't feel a thing.

Oh, I thought they melt stuff in your ears or something. If all they do is scan and nothing goes in your ear I can do that all day long and not care. Some of the pics I've seen look like a combination of ear pieces being made and dental work.

post #634 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netforce View Post
 

Basically always turn down the volume of equipment if you regularly listen at lower levels. Some people turn up systems incredibly loud and I can't count the number of times I've sat down and pressed play and had a full volume headphone go all out on my ears. Plugged my noble 4 into a geek out 450 that I didn't realize was at full volume, that wasn't too fun.

 

Generally there will be a lot of open cans there and a lot of talking going on with a lot of demoing going on so the rooms aren't quiet. I probably turn up the volume a bit up in comparison to what I regularly listen at.

Ah yes. Always turn the volume all the way down before putting on headphones or turning on anything. 

Are you saying it will be a super challenge to demo headphones? I refuse to mess up my ears. If it is going to be super challenging it's not worth it for me to try and attend.

post #635 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary man View Post

Ah yes. Always turn the volume all the way down before putting on headphones or turning on anything. 
Are you saying it will be a super challenge to demo headphones? I refuse to mess up my ears. If it is going to be super challenging it's not worth it for me to try and attend.

Accurately demoing open headphones in a meet environment is pretty hard. It's busy and noisy. If that's what you are asking, then yes it is difficult.
post #636 of 1339

I'd like to test the ear scanning myself, even if UE has my impressions anyway... xD

post #637 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary man View Post
 

Ah yes. Always turn the volume all the way down before putting on headphones or turning on anything. 

Are you saying it will be a super challenge to demo headphones? I refuse to mess up my ears. If it is going to be super challenging it's not worth it for me to try and attend.

Kamakahah said it pretty well. I know my personal comfortable listening level and listen to maybe 2-3 db louder than say my home/office level which isn't honestly major. If you know where you like to listen than you will be fine, it isn't like say a concert level loud in the room just around say around as loud as say maybe a busyish best buy?

 

Some of the finer details of open cans may be harder to pick out but it a great environment to test out closed cans and see how well they isolate the background I found. I found myself really digging the Mad Dogs at meets because of how well they isolate around me, at a reasonable listening volume of course.

post #638 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


Accurately demoing open headphones in a meet environment is pretty hard. It's busy and noisy. If that's what you are asking, then yes it is difficult.

Uh oh, I have open headphones, but I'm open (no pun) to either open or closed. I don't want to be restricted to only one type though as I may not like closed headphones, I don't know.

 

I guess I need to re-think trying to attend as I may not be able to accomplish what I want. I was just looking to do two things: 1) Determine if the sound issue I sense is really my cans or what I am plugging into and 2) if it is my cans, an upgrade would be in order and therefore demo is mandatory. I can be done by 12:30pm fairly easy I think....I kind of have to be as other duties need to be done.  The fact is that it is the only time and place in the entire state to demo headphones and such.

Sounds like #1 could be accomplished still, but can also be done outside the event I think.

Is it really that noisy? I mean it's all headphones, how noisey could it be? Is there going to be DJs with big speakers blaring migraine music or something? Are we talking about the same section? There are two sections as I understand it: The factory/vendor rep section and the party Head-fi section and the two do not meet is my understanding. I'm only interested in the former.

I'm confused.


Edited by solitary man - 3/3/15 at 4:23pm
post #639 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary man View Post
 

Uh oh, I have open headphones, but I'm open (no pun) to either open or closed. I don't want to be restricted to only one type though as I may not like closed headphones, I don't know.

 

I guess I need to re-think trying to attend as I may not be able to accomplish what I want. I was just looking to do two things: 1) Determine if the sound issue I sense is really my cans or what I am plugging into and 2) if it is my cans, an upgrade would be in order and therefore demo is mandatory. I can be done by 12:30pm fairly easy I think....I kind of have to be as other duties need to be done.  The fact is that it is the only time and place in the entire state to demo headphones and such.

Sounds like #1 could be accomplished still, but can also be done outside the event I think.

Is it really that noisy? I mean it's all headphones, how noisey could it be? Is there going to be DJs with big speakers blaring migraine music or something? Are we talking about the same section? There are two sections as I understand it: The factory/vendor rep section and the party Head-fi section and the two do not meet is my understanding. I'm only interested in the former.

I'm confused.

 

The noise comes from people. Everyone shuffling around to go to and from stations. People are talking with others and vendors. For the most part, people try and respect others listening since most of us are aware of what is happening. 

I'm confident that you'll be able to accomplish your two things. You wouldn't want to miss this, especially if you haven't been to one. 

post #640 of 1339

There's no club or party going on, not sure where you're getting this.  There is a vendor area and a member area.  The vendor area is where vendors bring their latest products to show off and generate sales.  These rooms get quite full of people, and between people talking to each other and conversations between vendors and potential customers the noise levels can get quite high.  Most open headphones don't block out much sound.  The member area is where various HF members bring their personal gear to share.  These rooms are much less crowded and you can get some good listening in.  Members typically have much higher quality systems than vendors because they've already invested the time and money to get more performance from their headphones, usually through trial and error.  Usually you can find at least a pair of any major headphone at a member table.  I'd highly advise checking the member rigs to see if any of them have a headphone you're interested in, since you'll get a quieter audition and they'll be able to give you feedback on their experience with said headphone.  You'll also be able to get an idea of how the headphone you're interested in scales with better gear if that's something you want to do at a later date.

post #641 of 1339

I guess you can classify it as a party. Good music, great sound systems, lots of people to meet, fun conversations, new friendships, professional networking... that's my idea of a party.

post #642 of 1339

solitary man, I think you may be confusing or over thinking the situation. Yes it can possibly get a tad loud with so many people but not so much so that open headphones become indistinguishable. The member area is really a lot less busy from the vendor area and I really like hanging out in the member area and talking with other members as much as trying new things. People are respectful and mindful to those around them, we know people are trying to listen and talk. Nobody is yelling and it would be a shame if you didn't at least give  CanJam a try honestly.

 

We're mostly all a bunch of folks who like/love our headphones :o

post #643 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post
 

 

The noise comes from people. Everyone shuffling around to go to and from stations. People are talking with others and vendors. For the most part, people try and respect others listening since most of us are aware of what is happening. 

I'm confident that you'll be able to accomplish your two things. You wouldn't want to miss this, especially if you haven't been to one. 

 

Oh, well now that's not so bad then. They way you left it I thought it would be close to trying to hear a pin drop at a Who concert.:)

post #644 of 1339
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post
 

There's no club or party going on, not sure where you're getting this.  There is a vendor area and a member area.  The vendor area is where vendors bring their latest products to show off and generate sales.  These rooms get quite full of people, and between people talking to each other and conversations between vendors and potential customers the noise levels can get quite high.  Most open headphones don't block out much sound.  The member area is where various HF members bring their personal gear to share.  These rooms are much less crowded and you can get some good listening in.  Members typically have much higher quality systems than vendors because they've already invested the time and money to get more performance from their headphones, usually through trial and error.  Usually you can find at least a pair of any major headphone at a member table.  I'd highly advise checking the member rigs to see if any of them have a headphone you're interested in, since you'll get a quieter audition and they'll be able to give you feedback on their experience with said headphone.  You'll also be able to get an idea of how the headphone you're interested in scales with better gear if that's something you want to do at a later date.

Yes, that's what I thought, that they were separate areas and neither had a club atmosphere. I don't know that I would want to demo cans on a member system because they are probably mostly high-end mega-buck rigs and I am not into that. Nothing wrong with it if your totally into headphones and such. (I'm not). I'd want to demo cans on something closer to the level I have, which is well south of the mega-bucks.

Headphones are an occasional necessary evil to me, that's about as far as I go into it. I figure if I must, I might as well have them sound half-way decent giving me all the details they can that my budget will allow.

post #645 of 1339

Not all member systems are high-end mega-buck rigs, so you can probably still find something that fits your budget.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked