or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › AKG K702 65th Anniversary AMP/DAC recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary AMP/DAC recommendations

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi,

I am new to head-fi,

and have close to no experience in over-ear monitors,

I previously only focused on small in-ears like Westones and ultimate ears.

 

No I want to move up,

and I just got myself a new AKG K702 65th Anniversary.

But I only have a small FiiO E6,

which sucks and does close to nothing for my K702s.

 

I was told by #HifiGuy528 (shout out to him for his help!! Thanks!!) that I need a great amp/dac to bring out the full potential of the Annies.

 

Anyone has any recommendations?

I listen to mainly classical music,

but sometimes listen to some pop and alternative-pop music as well,

especially like  female vocals.

 

I am currently looking at the O2+ODAC,

but haven't completely decided yet.

Also looking at other gears like Schiit Valhalla (slightly too expensive and out of stock) and Little Dots (MKii or I+?)

 

Can anyone give me recommendations and help me decide?


Edited by roguepp88 - 11/4/14 at 7:42pm
post #2 of 16

If you want pure neutral sound, the O2+ODAC is a fine choice.

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

What if I want a slightly warmer sound? At least a warmer high?

Because I heard the O2 sounds very analytical, and I don't know if is a good thing or a bad thing.

The most important thing I am looking for is a large sound stage and good highs I guess.

post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguepp88 View Post
 

What if I want a slightly warmer sound? At least a warmer high?

Because I heard the O2 sounds very analytical, and I don't know if is a good thing or a bad thing.

The most important thing I am looking for is a large sound stage and good highs I guess.

There's no such thing as a warmer high . . . High frequencies are high frequencies, you can't make them warmer. The only thing you can do to purchase a dac/amp that's geared to the lows. 

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks a lot!
I will go try the O2 tonight then.
Any other Amp/DAC recommended for the K702 that I can go and try?
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguepp88 View Post

Thanks a lot!
I will go try the O2 tonight then.
Any other Amp/DAC recommended for the K702 that I can go and try?

 

Matrix M-stage pairs very well with these headphones.

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 

Awesome,

another suggestion!

I will see if I can find it some where so i can try it out before i decide too.

I live in Hong Kong,

so i will need to figure out where I can find the Matrix M-stage first.

 

Btw. Anyone tried pairing tube amps with the K702? Got any good results?

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguepp88 View Post
 

 

 

Btw. Anyone tried pairing tube amps with the K702? Got any good results?

 

I've seen some posts stating very good results with Little Dot Mk3, but I have no direct experience with it.

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguepp88 View Post
 

Awesome,

another suggestion!

I will see if I can find it some where so i can try it out before i decide too.

I live in Hong Kong,

so i will need to figure out where I can find the Matrix M-stage first.

Btw. Anyone tried pairing tube amps with the K702? Got any good results?

 

Might try asking here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430984/akg-k702-impressions

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantSounds View Post
 

 

I've seen some posts stating very good results with Little Dot Mk3, but I have no direct experience with it.

 

Great, I always wanted to try my hands with some tube amps as well,

Maybe will go and try a little dot MK III as well tonight,

I know a shop in HK that has it.

 

I just didn't know if I should start with tubes or not,

since I was wondering, as a beginner,

solid state amps seems to be less of a hassle and a better stepping stone into the world of audiophiles,

am I right?

post #11 of 16

Check out the Audio-GD NFB-15, $270+shipping.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

post #12 of 16

I think with your headphones tubes is the way to go, but if you have an opportunity then listen to both tubes and solid state before you decide.

In the end it's a matter of preferences. 

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantSounds View Post
 

I think with your headphones tubes is the way to go, but if you have an opportunity then listen to both tubes and solid state before you decide.

In the end it's a matter of preferences. 

 

Great! Thanks for all the input,

I will definitely go try out some tubes and the O2 and maybe the matrix tonight.

Keep updating this post if you think of any other good combinations.

 

May also try the Aune T1.

but I guess the power may not be high enough from it.

Then again,

the tubes I am aiming for are the Schiit Valhalla when i save up enough,

anyone know if the Valhalla is good for the K702 65ths,

and if the Valhalla 1 and Valhalla 2s are any different in terms of suitability?

post #14 of 16
I will never understand the people who love O2 so much. It is nice for its price range but it cuts the bass. It is a slaughter.
post #15 of 16

If your long term goal is a Valhalla then don't buy a dac/amp mashup. Buy discrete components. Unless of course you try one and love it. Even then I would want to be able to bypass the dac and amp section so you can still use it as you upgrade.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › AKG K702 65th Anniversary AMP/DAC recommendations