Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need some new headphones, but which ones should I get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some new headphones, but which ones should I get? - Page 3

post #31 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
So, heavy bass is only your preference, right? So, I should just burn it in with the cd I'm using to listen to my music, right?
There were a few discussions around here about what sort of music to use for burn-in -- I was following the theory that lots of bass should help "loosen up" the drivers, but I don't think anyone's got solid evidence one way or the other. Using your favorite CD will probably work just as well.
post #32 of 283
Thread Starter 
Ok, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just get the Sony MDR-V6s then from outpost.com (only $80).
post #33 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Ok, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just get the Sony MDR-V6s then from outpost.com (only $80).
Hope you enjoy them! Incidentally, you might want to check etronics.com, which has them for $70 (although I don't know if there's a difference in shipping charges).
post #34 of 283
I've never heard the grado's or had much experience with the 280 pro's, but I can tell that in comparison to my ATH a500's, the sony md6's sound horrible. Extremly muddy, it feels like theres a low cieling over your head.
post #35 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody
I've never heard the grado's or had much experience with the 280 pro's, but I can tell that in comparison to my ATH a500's, the sony md6's sound horrible. Extremly muddy, it feels like theres a low cieling over your head.
The A500's are a little beyond his $85 price cap (they're $125 shipped from AudioCubes, assuming the weight is the same as the A900), so I didn't think to mention them. I haven't heard the A500's, but if they're anything close to the A900's (and according to Lindrone they are), then they should be a long shot better than either the 280 or the V6.

I didn't find the V6/7506 quite as objectionable as you seem to, but then, I did wind up returning them and getting the A900 instead. And I held onto the 7506 long enough to compare them side-by-side, which told me I made the right decision.

What do you think, Azure? It's a major jump in price, but if you're willing to drop the extra $55 over the V6, ry_goody is right -- you'll be getting a considerably better phone.
post #36 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody
I've never heard the grado's or had much experience with the 280 pro's, but I can tell that in comparison to my ATH a500's, the sony md6's sound horrible. Extremly muddy, it feels like theres a low cieling over your head.
Perhaps you've actually heard the Sony MDR-V600's, not the MDR-V6's?
post #37 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
What do you think, Azure? It's a major jump in price, but if you're willing to drop the extra $55 over the V6, ry_goody is right -- you'll be getting a considerably better phone.
I think I'm going to stick with the MDR-V6s, $80 already seemed kind of expensive to me, plus, I'm only used to using those cheap headphones included with cd players, so the V6s will sound amazing when I try them out.

I've also purchased from outpost.com before, so I don't know about etronics.

BTW, I noticed on etronics that they also had the MDR-V600s. They look identical to the V6s and have the same price. What's the difference?
post #38 of 283
Stay away from the MDR-V600's! They have overblown lower midrange response, no real bass, no upper midrange, no real treble, overly echoey/honky sound and muddy overall sound.
post #39 of 283
Thread Starter 
What do you think are the chances that etronics will mistaken my order for the V6 for the V600s since they look the same and cost the same?
post #40 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
What do you think are the chances that etronics will mistaken my order for the V6 for the V600s since they look the same and cost the same?
I wouldn't worry about that -- the phones do have different stock codes/SKU numbers on their site, so they shouldn't have any trouble telling the difference. After all, these people are professionals.

Definitely stay away from the V600's, though -- I've heard them myself (a co-worker's pair) and they do have a very muddy, poorly-defined sound. As someone once said here, they'd be a pretty decent headphone if they cost $10.
post #41 of 283
Thread Starter 
SunByrne, AuroraProject, and Dixie Flatline - Can I send you 2-3 of my trance mp3s so I can figure out how well they sound on the MDR V6s/7506 (They aren't the best quality mp3s, so I have a feeling they might sound bad on high quality headphones)?
post #42 of 283
"Need some new headphones, but which ones should I get?"

That's the question for me too..

My player is going to be the iRiver H320,
I'm kinda undecided between Senn HD650's and Grado SR-225's, here in Finland they both cost approx. 400€.

I've read that the Grados sound great even if you don't have an amp (I don't), but considering the price wouldn't it be worth it to go with the Senns?
post #43 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
SunByrne, AuroraProject, and Dixie Flatline - Can I send you 2-3 of my trance mp3s so I can figure out how well they sound on the MDR V6s/7506 (They aren't the best quality mp3s, so I have a feeling they might sound bad on high quality headphones)?
I returned my 7506's to the store a long while back, so I'm afraid I can't help you there...
post #44 of 283
Thread Starter 
Since the A900s are better, could you still try 2-3 of my techno mp3s on your headphones?
post #45 of 283
Thread Starter 
bump
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need some new headphones, but which ones should I get?