Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post

I trying to keep my posts that pertain to Alpha Prime here instead of spreading around in various threads. 
I also did hear the TH500RP at RMAF  Dan can do better.

What is amazing to me is that Dan does not have all the resources of a big corporation in developing a product.  Dan has the advantage that he answers to no one. That allows him to have a single focus on what the next headphone should sound like and to succeed with far less resources. It does takes a bit of experimenting to find out what tweaks or changes in materials that will give a better quality of sound. That is something a computer program will not have all the answers. In the end it takes an artist to create a wonderful sounding headphone. More to come.
Well said sir, it's Incredible Dan has the drive and vision to create such great headphones. I have yet to hear the prime but I shall purchase a set if Dan can not upgrade my Alpha Dog's.
post #47 of 2588

Just got back from RMAF and managed to fit my new Alpha Primes in my one carry-on bag, and the headphone stand didn't freak out the TSA!  (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I did have Dan's web site open on my phone just in case!!!)

 

I also picked up a Wywires red cable and adaptors from Alex andeven  used my X5 and iFi micro iDSD to play them in my hotel room before I flew out on Monday......

 

Anyway... While I really can't compare them to the other 'dogs', I gotta say that these are special.  I have to do lots more break-in for both them and the cable, but me likey mucho much-o so far....  and I am psyched to see where they end up, if they're gonna get even better than they are now.

 

 

Ok, Ok, so how do they sound?  Let me put it this way--  how the heck am I gonna be able to take these off to go to work?  :biggrin: 


Edited by fzman - 10/14/14 at 12:37pm
post #48 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzman View Post
 

Just got back from RMAF and managed to fit my new Alphas in my one carry-on bag, and the headphone stand didn't freak out the TSA!  (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I did have Dan's web site open on my phone just in case!!!)

 

I also picked up a Wywires red cable and adaptors from Alex andeven  used my X5 and iFi micro iDSD to play them in my hotel room before I flew out on Monday......

 

Anyway... While I really can't compare them to the other 'dogs', I gotta say that these are special.  I have to do lots more break-in for both them and the cable, but me likey mucho much-o so far....  and I am psyched to see where they end up, if they're gonna get even better than they are now.

 

 

Ok, Ok, so how do they sound?  Let me put it this way--  how the heck am I gonna be able to take these off to go to work?  :biggrin:


Are you talking about Prime's or Alpha Dogs? 

post #49 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


Are you talking about Prime's or Alpha Dogs? 

ooops - Primes,  I fixed my original post - thanks for catching that for me.  

post #50 of 2588

Looking forward to hear your review.

post #51 of 2588

I will also write a more in depth review as well. :k701smile:

post #52 of 2588

Can't wait! :)

post #53 of 2588

Matt, have you heard the XC ? If yes, how would you compare the 2 ?

post #54 of 2588

:popcorn:

post #55 of 2588

which is better for edm music the mad dog pro or alpha prime

post #56 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
 

which is better for edm music the mad dog pro or alpha prime

That is a interesting question because the criterion of what you like for edm music on headphones can be different for users that are used to hearing acoustical music and goes to unamplifyed live concerts.

 

Do you you prefer headphones with extra bass slam or a flat response?

Do you prefer super low distortion on edm music and what is that exactly?

Do you prefer a natural clear vivid soundstage or a extra large soundstage created for you?

Do you want headphones to be super revealing and will that make a big difference with edm music?

 

You have to decide what sonic characteristics are important for you and go from there. What headphones did you like in the past and did not like may give you clues on what you aiming for on new headphones.

 

P.S. Base on what I am reading the mad dog pro may be the better choice for edm since it is tune to give a bit more bass. The prime might be a bit of a overkill for edm. For example I would not use my Stax headphone for listening to edm type of music because it is not designed to showcase edm music in the best fun way.  On the other hand the Prime can showcase other kinds of music far, far better than mad dog pro can. I have not tested my prime with edm music and maybe other users can chip in.


Edited by john57 - 10/15/14 at 11:17pm
post #57 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post
 

That is a interesting question because the criterion of what you like for edm music on headphones can be different for users that are used to hearing acoustical music and goes to unamplifyed live concerts.

 

Do you you prefer headphones with extra bass slam or a flat response?

Do you prefer super low distortion on edm music and what is that exactly?

Do you prefer a natural clear vivid soundstage or a extra large soundstage created for you?

Do you want headphones to be super revealing and will that make a big difference with edm music?

 

You have to decide what sonic characteristics are important for you and go from there. What headphones did you like in the past and did not like may give you clues on what you aiming for on new headphones.

 

P.S. Base on what I am reading the mad dog pro may be the better choice for edm since it is tune to give a bit more bass. The prime might be a bit of a overkill for edm. For example I would not use my Stax headphone for listening to edm type of music because it is not designed to showcase edm music in the best fun way.  On the other hand the Prime can showcase other kinds of music far, far better than mad dog pro can. I have not tested my prime with edm music and maybe other users can chip in.

wow lots of question, i like the audeze lcd2 which i have, but as u know its not maybe ideal for edm

 

like bass slam, and i like to have nice mids and warmth in the sound sig, with a good soundstage, as to super revealing i don't know as i like to just enjoy the music and if its better to get a more forgiving headphone then maybe i don't like it to be to revealing as most music these days are recorded in not super quality anyways


Edited by Sound Eq - 10/16/14 at 9:56am
post #58 of 2588
I listen to alot of EDM with my alpha dog, and I have to say that the bass quality with the sounds stage makes me almost feel like I'm standing in the stage of a high end club environment. I'm very impress with the AD bass quality. While my hifiman HE-400 has more bass, the AD beats it in quality.
post #59 of 2588

Can the Alpha Prime be considered a TOTL Headphone? 

post #60 of 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitEARS View Post

Can the Alpha Prime be considered a TOTL Headphone? 

According to Michael Mercer's review on headphone.guru, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzman View Post

Just got back from RMAF and managed to fit my new Alpha Primes in my one carry-on bag, and the headphone stand didn't freak out the TSA!  (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I did have Dan's web site open on my phone just in case!!!)

I also picked up a Wywires red cable and adaptors from Alex andeven  used my X5 and iFi micro iDSD to play them in my hotel room before I flew out on Monday......

Anyway... While I really can't compare them to the other 'dogs', I gotta say that these are special.  I have to do lots more break-in for both them and the cable, but me likey mucho much-o so far....  and I am psyched to see where they end up, if they're gonna get even better than they are now.


Ok, Ok, so how do they sound?  Let me put it this way--  how the heck am I gonna be able to take these off to go to work?  biggrin.gif  

Impressions with the micro iDSD please biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread