or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread - Page 2

post #16 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_One411 View Post

Thanks for taking the time to make such a great writeup! 

You said you preferred the Legend to the JH-13FP. Can you offer any comments with the Legend vs the UERM? Does it make a good compliment, or is it more or less redundant since they share similar neutral signatures?

If you love neutral signatures, I see them more as a compliment, as they each have a slightly different take on neutral.

The UERM is brighter, more open sounding with a slightly laid back midrange. The Legend is smoother, more upfront with a hair more bass. I loved the Legend treble I heard in the demo.

I'll be able to say more once I pick my Legend up, hopefully this weekend. I'll also have a CE6P from Cosmic Ears to add to the mix in the next couple of weeks.
Edited by shotgunshane - 10/27/14 at 9:58am
post #17 of 1539
Cant wait for your comparison between uerm and the legend once you get it! Think ill be deciding between those two!
post #18 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post


If you love neutral signatures, I see them more as a compliment, as they each have a slightly different take on neutral.

The UERM is brighter, more open sounding with a slightly laid back midrange. The Legend is smoother, more upfront with a hair more bass. I loved the Legend treble I heard in the demo.

I'll be able to say more once I pick my Legend up, hopefully this weekend. I'll also have a CE6P from Cosmic Ears to add to the mix in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the reply! 

 

Looking forward to the comparison. The UERM treble is a little bit under the threshold of my tolerance for brightness, so that's good to hear. 

post #19 of 1539

Interesting write up - a question though. How can a three driver (dual low and single high - EP3) be crossed over and described as a three way crossover? Either one of the lows is the midrange or the mids are being reproduced by the single high. but then where does that x-over point enter into the equation? It's not a big deal, but it appears that the mids have to be coming from somewhere. and I don't think it is prudent to have a single driver receiving a summed signal from a crossover.

 

A number of the models have this disconnect - unless of course, the description of the drivers - e.g."dual lows" - is only describing the receiver, but not how they are actually used in the headphone.

 

Mental gyrations over here :)

post #20 of 1539
@shotgunshane you ordered a legend after your audition? You must have really loved what you heard...
post #21 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejoshua View Post

@shotgunshane you ordered a legend after your audition? You must have really loved what you heard...


I indeed loved what I heard but my Legend will be a review unit and I'll be covering it for Cymbacavum.  I intend to purchase the universal EP-2 on the Kickstarter campaign though.  The EP-2 and Legend were my personal favorites of the line up; plus I've a lover of more neutral signatures.

post #22 of 1539

Ah I see. I might jump on the ep2 bandwagon. Will the universal customs be fully acrylic or like some custom demos needing tips?

post #23 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejoshua View Post

Ah I see. I might jump on the ep2 bandwagon. Will the universal customs be fully acrylic or like some custom demos needing tips?

Assuming it's similar to the demo- It will be like custom come universal sort of like the FitEars or Aurisonics ASG's. It has a nozzle that will easily accept tips.
post #24 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post
 

Interesting write up - a question though. How can a three driver (dual low and single high - EP3) be crossed over and described as a three way crossover? Either one of the lows is the midrange or the mids are being reproduced by the single high. but then where does that x-over point enter into the equation? It's not a big deal, but it appears that the mids have to be coming from somewhere. and I don't think it is prudent to have a single driver receiving a summed signal from a crossover.

 

A number of the models have this disconnect - unless of course, the description of the drivers - e.g."dual lows" - is only describing the receiver, but not how they are actually used in the headphone.

 

Mental gyrations over here :)


I have the same doubts as to the crossover numbering in respect of the Legend. Assuming that: (i) triple highs is actually two drivers compsed of one single and one dual, (ii) triple mids is actually two drivers composed of one single and one dual, then IMO it may have only 5 crossovers points (1 on woofer, 1 on single mids, 1 on dual mids, 1 on single highs and 1 on dual highs).

 

EDIT: My reasoning is wrong if the triple highs driver is actually three single drivers and if the mids triple drivers is actually three single drivers:D


Edited by shakur1996 - 10/28/14 at 8:14am
post #25 of 1539

Very interested in the bass comparison to the jh13 on the legend. Gotta have great bass for me to buy them. Any comparison 

s to other cans bass wise?

post #26 of 1539

@shotgunshane

 

sorry to trouble you with so many questions but I am curious as to how the ep2 compares to say the Rockets and tenores? whatever brief impressions you have from memory would be helpful. (sorry I should have asked sooner). Thanks! 

post #27 of 1539
I find the Rockets and Tenore to be a darker take on a neutral aignature, especially the Tenore as its treble is shelved down a little lower. In contrast I find the EP-2 to be a brighter, airier take on a neutral sig. It isn't as relaxed as the Rockets and Tenore, however it's not harsh or etched. The EP-2 is more open sounding. I can't say whether this means better resolution or bigger staging without a direct conparison.

I'll ask to get another listen to the EP-2 when I pick up the Legend this weekend (assuming it's ready).
post #28 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post
 

Interesting write up - a question though. How can a three driver (dual low and single high - EP3) be crossed over and described as a three way crossover? Either one of the lows is the midrange or the mids are being reproduced by the single high. but then where does that x-over point enter into the equation? It's not a big deal, but it appears that the mids have to be coming from somewhere. and I don't think it is prudent to have a single driver receiving a summed signal from a crossover.

 

A number of the models have this disconnect - unless of course, the description of the drivers - e.g."dual lows" - is only describing the receiver, but not how they are actually used in the headphone.

 

Mental gyrations over here :)


This was mistake on the web site and I've been told it's corrected.  I just checked and here is what it now says on the EP-3:

Driver Configuration: Single High, Dual Low. 2-Way, Passive Crossover Network.

I've updated my overview with the correction as well.

post #29 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakur1996 View Post
 


I have the same doubts as to the crossover numbering in respect of the Legend. Assuming that: (i) triple highs is actually two drivers compsed of one single and one dual, (ii) triple mids is actually two drivers composed of one single and one dual, then IMO it may have only 5 crossovers points (1 on woofer, 1 on single mids, 1 on dual mids, 1 on single highs and 1 on dual highs).

 

EDIT: My reasoning is wrong if the triple highs driver is actually three single drivers and if the mids triple drivers is actually three single drivers:D

You can treat duals as two single drivers in some cases. They don't have to be connected in parallel in every configuration. 

post #30 of 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymordos View Post
 

You can treat duals as two single drivers in some cases. They don't have to be connected in parallel in every configuration. 


Please correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm not a specialist in this topic) but as I understand this typical dual driver has one output bore. Thus, how can you say that you have 2ways in dual driver which have one bore?
If the dual driver had two output bores then yes you cold put two, separate crossover point on each part of the dual driver and have 2way system.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread