or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options - Page 46

post #676 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by aras View Post

I just ordered the velvets from dimitri at musica acoustics thanks to the input from the fellow headfiers. I couldn't decide whether I should get the whiplash twag litz cable or not. What is the consensus on the effect of silver cables on the velvets? Are they worth the expense?

Personally - I'd order it stock and try out some others at meets & such. Unless the stock cable is complete garbage, adding a different cable will provide the least upgrade to sound.
Edited by the-kraken - 4/8/15 at 7:25pm
post #677 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzler View Post
 

 

I have auditioned the Velvet/Litz combo and concur with this.

 

I found the bass to be tighter and more controlled than the stock cable, with improved imaging and slightly wider sound stage.

I got my Toxic cables Silver Widow yesterday, and I am just blown away. Someone described it perfectly to me before I got it; it's like you've upgraded from a medium to a high end dac. As with your V3, the imaging has improved considerably. It feels like as a consequence of the improved imaging, the soundstage has improved and there's more clarity and detail. 

 

Everything just sounds so cleaned up. 'Messy' tracks with a lot of different, heavy sounds sound so much better. It's not bright (or warm). It doesn't change the sound, it just improves it. A lot. This cable is really incredible, it just lifts the quality of the presentation of the Velvet to the next level, making it feel like a $900 iem instead of a $700 in comparison. I thought people on the Toxic cables thread were just on a hypetrain, but this cable really stands out from all the cables I've tried (haven't tried the V3 litz, sounds good too).


Edited by flinkenick - 4/9/15 at 8:29am
post #678 of 1430

Welcome to the newest addition to the family :) The Rhapsodio Rti1.

 

I was a bit hesitant to buy a single DD iem after the IE800, but unlike the IE800 the RTi1 absolutely doesn't sound thin. I was surprised to hear that the Velvet and Rti1 are pretty similar in overall SQ; proving that the Velvet can hold its own against another $1000 iem. The Velvet sounds a bit fuller, the Rti1 has a slightly wider soundstage. Vocals and instruments sound more natural in the Rti1 - "Private Investigations" by the Dire Straits - WOW. The Velvet has far superior bass, as expected. Because of the fuller sound and awesome bass the Velvet sounds far better for the 'exciting' genres - hip hop, EDM, rock. The Rti1 excels in acoustics (like classic rock) and classical. Which is why I bought it, to complement the Velvet for those genres I love but have been neglecting for so long :rolleyes: 

post #679 of 1430

Where can you buy the Velvets online in Europe apart from their homepage?

post #680 of 1430
post #681 of 1430

Innnerfidelity has posted measurements for the Velvet.

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EarsonicsVelvetPotCCW.pdf

post #682 of 1430
Hi all Velvet owners,

Just wondering about the sensitivity of this iem. I find that I have to turn the volume up quite a few notches in comparison to the SM3 that I own.

Does this iem suck up a lot of juice? Or is it just the player I'm using? My source is the AK120.

This is on the balanced setting.

How's the volume compared to other iems that you own?

Cheers
James
post #683 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy6 View Post

Hi all Velvet owners,

Just wondering about the sensitivity of this iem. I find that I have to turn the volume up quite a few notches in comparison to the SM3 that I own.

Does this iem suck up a lot of juice? Or is it just the player I'm using? My source is the AK120.

This is on the balanced setting.

How's the volume compared to other iems that you own?

Cheers
James


It is not as bad as the SM64, however I too find using my X5 I have to bump up the volume a lot

post #684 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy812 View Post
 


It is not as bad as the SM64, however I too find using my X5 I have to bump up the volume a lot

 

Thanks for the reply :)

 

Wasn't sure that I was losing my hearing and was worried about bumping the volume up a couple of notches that I've never reached before.

 

In comparison to the Shure846, SM3, and V6-stage it requires the highest output volume amount. Good for players that have a high impedance output though. 

 

Enjoy the Velvets!


Edited by Jimmy6 - 4/10/15 at 9:13pm
post #685 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by omastic View Post
 

Innnerfidelity has posted measurements for the Velvet.

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EarsonicsVelvetPotCCW.pdf


Thanks for the link! So what is the counter clockwise position? Is it the warm mode or the tight?

post #686 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy6 View Post

Hi all Velvet owners,

Just wondering about the sensitivity of this iem. I find that I have to turn the volume up quite a few notches in comparison to the SM3 that I own.

Does this iem suck up a lot of juice? Or is it just the player I'm using? My source is the AK120.

This is on the balanced setting.

How's the volume compared to other iems that you own?

Cheers
James

 

It's harder to drive than SE846, that's for sure. It's about as hard to drive as IE800. Much easier to drive than SM64. I'm content with half the volume of an iPad Air 2.

post #687 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by aras View Post
 


Thanks for the link! So what is the counter clockwise position? Is it the warm mode or the tight?

 

It's CCW mode:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EarsonicsVelvetPotCCW.pdf

Here is the CW mode, bass level a little bit higher:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EarsonicsVelvetPotCW.pdf

post #688 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidyen View Post

It's harder to drive than SE846, that's for sure. It's about as hard to drive as IE800. Much easier to drive than SM64. I'm content with half the volume of an iPad Air 2.
I see. I've got an ipad air 1. For me I can only push it to about a quarter of the volume otherwise it gets too much for me. I actually lock the volume of my Ipad and iPhone to half its volume for fear of accidentally getting blasted in the ear. Has happened a few times. Very unpleasant...
post #689 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy6 View Post


I see. I've got an ipad air 1. For me I can only push it to about a quarter of the volume otherwise it gets too much for me. I actually lock the volume of my Ipad and iPhone to half its volume for fear of accidentally getting blasted in the ear. Has happened a few times. Very unpleasant...


Quarter should be enough for regular listening. I usually set it between quarter and half, iPad Air 1/2 has got quite a powerful headphone jack. I can't say the same about iPhone as there's a EU volume cap which can't be removed unless you jailbreak it. Volume capped iPhones can still drive Velvet fine, but couldn't drive SM64 well for instance. You're in Australia though you probably don't have this stupid EU cap.


Edited by obsidyen - 4/11/15 at 7:08am
post #690 of 1430

Anyone knows how this will pair with the Cayin C5 amp?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options