Great post! I agree with every single word.
- 8,053 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: Swede living in Norway
- Select All Posts By This User
Great post! I agree with every single word.
its clearly is not a bass monster of any kind , it has boosted bass but its pleasing , works really nice with my doppios and S5 sounds like a rha-ma750 with better mids highs .
and its not fur purists at all , it will spoil your flat response with bass and mids .
Totally agree with H2O , its fun , and will do good for couples and friends who are together most of the times .
Yeah as if its damn easy thing to do in first place...................
1) I didn't know the amp revolved around only my impressions with Havi? Maybe it's because we're waiting for others to comment on their thoughts? But of course I've tested the unit with S0 too. Given the small amount time I've had the amp I'm sure there's more to come. A full review maybe?
2) Maybe you should hear the the difference AP001 makes personally before coming to such a conclusion Shawn, it's quite premature to simply assume "oh I have Rockbox I can replicate what AP001 does to the sound". Unfortunately, easy you make it sound I don't see how that's possible, especially from an output power perspective
3) Your 2 way splitter can be purchased for $1 on eBay, but is it an active splitter which provides sufficient power to both outputs? That's the different my friend, AP001 is actually an active splitter with power supply, not just a bunch a soldered connections leading to two jacks. Depending on the DAP's internal amp section, which from my experience doesn't do those 'cheap' splitters any real justice at all and in most cases leads to early distortion
The way I see it without actual hands on experience with the device you're walking up a dark road with only assumptions in hand, this is where I say having experience with a a device/product answers many of your questions, not only that allows one to have "their say" 100% about a product. The proof is in the pudding so to speak otherwise you just walk blind.
It's great synergy with Havi for those who:
1) Want a little more bass
2) Use a lower tier source (especially pointing towards the Sansa units)
3) Have a friend who wants to listen at the same time.
For example, I posted AP001 pictures on another social media site, there's comments with people tagging their friends saying "wow finally we can listen together now perfect" and other comments along those lines. AP001 is something that can be used in many ways especially considering Its an active splitter so power isn't a problem. I do agree it will pair well with bass light or neutral low ends, but... then you have the mass appeal to bass-heads who want to take that experience with warm IEM far as they can.
The community isn't always about the lust for a flat response, especially mainstream crowd where lot's of potential sales are for this product. We have "the bass head thread" where I imagine AP001 would do quite well, so it's really a tit for tat scenario on what you're looking for in your sound.
I remember a time early on when all I wanted to do here was achieve car sub-woofer bass levels on the go, (crazy as that sounds) I wish AP001 was around then to pair with Hippo VB. But to keep things into perspective, I don't think we've seen one comment where someone has said " DAM DAT BASS" " TOO MUCH" etc so until you hear the boost implemented into the amp it's hard to grasp the qaunitiy we're talking about in words on a screen.
Well said Uncle H20, well said.
Head-Fi users seem to get all mired up in the graphs and the numbers game way too much sometimes and forget there is a consumer market place out there where people think that spending $100 on headphones is just crazy. This little amp has a perfect place in that community which is the majority by the way, I won't tell you how many Sony MDR-ZX100's I see on a daily basis...
The Brainwavz amp seems to be very similar to the Boostaroo Revolution unit I have just with a different and no doubt much better implementation.
Dual headphone jacks on the side of the Boostaroo Revoluiton.
I don't know about you guys, I've decided to lose the short interconnect provided. I'm sure it's fine for bolting the unit to your DAP.
I've decided to use a 1 meter 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. This way I just leave AP001 'hanging around' off the cable somewhere.
Drag it along up the street behind me... (joking)
Get them for a couple of dollars.
No, it was an example picture I used from eBay listing, first one I saw. I'm using standard 3 pole from eBay.