or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07) - Page 4

post #46 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

 

Yes, that metallic edge is Ultrasones trademark identifier, I think. Luckily, it doesn't bother me but I totally understand your feeling after trying many of their models.

 

Their 2900 sounded particularly metallic to me, which was why I sold it. More so than their 2500, which I preferred in direct comparison. I'm not sure if it needed more burn-in or if it was just the headphone itself.

 

I'm guessing it's just a particular characteristic of titanium/ titanium plated drivers.

I think it might simply be the tuning that is the issue and not an intrinsic property of titanium coated diaphragms - although this is just a guess. The reason I guess that is because most headphones with extremely forward highs I feel comes off metallic as well. 

 

 

Also, I have easily over 2,000 hours on my pro 900s and have had them for almost 2 years now with heavy use daily (average of 5-6 hours a day), so I am sure it is not an issue with needing more burn in although I have to admit they did tame a bit after 50 hours of use. Burn in with these definitely works, but not much more past 50-100 hours. 

 

I found that the best result for the sound was replacing the stock pads. It dramatically opened up the soundstage so much more that sometimes I have to take my pro900s off to make sure the audio isn't playing through speakers. It tames the bass and highs a tad too so it is fantastic. I am currently using Edition 10 pads on my pro900, but I would assume any pad that has ventilation holes (such as hifiman focus pads or Edition 10 pads) or very thick pads that dramatically increase the distance between the super-shallow cups and the outer ear (such as Audeze or Alpha Pads) will work like magic to get the ultrasones to amazing heights. 

post #47 of 505

Yes, you're probably right there. It's likely tuning, because even their lower models (like hfi 780) has the metallic highs and I don't think it has the titanium drivers.

 

And yes, pads make a big difference for sure! I had a pair of velours that was pretty worn down, and for some reason, it just did not sound as good as my other pair of velours. It was a noticeable change. I'm sure playing around with other pads (as you have) could make a big change. Although, I am really happy with the current pair of velours I have on mine. And I really do like velour more than anything else (leather gets too hot for me).

post #48 of 505
So you pay nearly the same price for the pads as for the cans.....
You have an Edition 900 now
Edited by pietcux - 10/7/14 at 12:45am
post #49 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

So you pay nearly the same price for the pads as for the cans.....
You have an Edition 900 now

Haha I just checked the ED10 pads on the Ultrasone website and realized they are almost $300. Jesus. I got mine for a really good price from someone who didn't want his ED10 and ED10 parts anymore ($50 for the pair of ED10 pads!) It really really helps the sound quality. $300 is way too much for a set, but if they were even $120 I would still probably think about getting a pair. They dramatically change the sound of the S-logic. I imagine though that the closest thing to these would be the hifiman focus pads since they are not only angled and quite thick/fluffy but also acoustically and thermally vented using Jerg's technique. 

 

Here's what my Edition 900 look like currently (HE-6 in the background)

 

post #50 of 505
Aren't the ED 10 pads brown?
post #51 of 505
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

Aren't the ED 10 pads brown?

 

Pads are brown of the pics IMO. Average image quality fools us ;)

post #52 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post
 

@pietcux 

 

I think with the titanium drivers, burn in matters. Probably no metallic sound to your sig pro since you put enough hours on them by now.

 

When you first bought it, did you notice it was harsher up in the treble? I *think* my Pro 900 has smoothed out over the years since first had it, although it is hard to say without direct comparison to when they were new.

 

Nevertheless, I happen to like some metallic edge, it works well for the type of glitchy EDM music that I like.

 

I bought the Sig Pros new and never noticed the "metallic" highs... I always thought the Sig Pro's were their most "balanced" headphone with a "warm" tinge due to the highs being a bit more controlled. In fact, I was comparing them to the Mad Dogs at the time in terms of warm top and sound signature. But I agree that sometimes a slight "bite" makes everything more exciting (which is probably one of the reasons I decided to stick with the Sig DJs and let go of the Sig Pros).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenSHK View Post
 

I think it might simply be the tuning that is the issue and not an intrinsic property of titanium coated diaphragms - although this is just a guess. The reason I guess that is because most headphones with extremely forward highs I feel comes off metallic as well. 

 

Yeah, I guess their engineers like that type of tuning. Bad thing is that it SEEMS most of their headphones sound similar with the exception of sound stage, imaging, and detail extraction... (this is all assumption as I haven't tried all of their headphones of course...).

 

Still, I'm interested on this new series...

post #53 of 505
I feel there are lots of titanium driver headphones out there without any metallic edge to the sound.

From my listening experiences with Ultrasones (ed 8, pro750, pro550, DJ1, hfi680) they 'zing' due to the metallic baffle.
If you coat the baffle with plastic paint, like i did with my DJ1s, the metallic edge is reducuced or even gone.
post #54 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaboo View Post

The 880s were a lot more balanced than the pro900 more along the lines of the pro2900 or sig pro but with less detailed mides. The highs had that slight metallic edge like all the titanium driver models but they were fresh out of the box so I suspect they would calm down a little after they loosen up. The 840 is the bass head can for sure. Very enjoyable kick to the bass. Smooth, mids not too recessed and highs very smooth. They will make a lot of bass heads very happy. I listened to some Paloma Faith tracks which have some kicking bass on them and they didn't disappoint.

Thanks for the review and info bookaboo! I'm glad to have looked at Ultrasone's website before pulling the trigger on a pair of 900's. I'm looking to go back to something like the Ultrasone sound (my Shure 1540's aren't doing it for me) but want something 'better' than the Pro 550's that I owned once upon a time. Can you speak a bit more about the Performance 880, specifically to the bass response? Can you make any comparisons to the other Ultrasone models? I think the Signature DJ's are probably the best can for me, but I don't know if I can stomach the cost.

 

I typically listen to hip-hop, punk, hardcore, indie, some EDM, pop, and rock. Really anything but country and christmas carols (okay, sometimes...). Cans will be playing out of a Meridian Explorer which makes the Pro 900's a great impedance match. Anyhow, thanks for any info or insight you (or anyone else) can provide. 

 

Cheers!

post #55 of 505

The Performance 880's have a very even and balanced signature - great bass when it is called for, balanced mids and highs - actually the 860 and 880 are 2 of the most balanced ultrasones I have heard. The 880 is much along the lines of the pro2900 and sig pro being quite balanced with a slight tilt to the bass and highs. The 840 night be worth a listen to you if you like the sig DJ bass but the overall clarity is lacking compared to its 2 siblings. All are preferable to my ears to the pro900 and I think the 880 is very much the star of the show. Its highs were a little sharp but after having other experience with ultrasone titanium drivers this will definitely calm down once they get some hrs into them - the unit I heard was fresh out of the box and I only had about 15mins listening with them so the drivers would have been pretty stiff. Add to this that they come with a set of velour pads along with the standard protein leather and 2 cables. They seem to be a logical step up from the 860 and a clear step up from the 840. They reminded me of the sig DJ in the soundstage and the balance of mids to highs with a tighter less massive bass. More highs but I think that would calm down after a little burn in as stated earlier - in any case the highs even out of the box were a lot less sharp than the pro900. Comfort was great on these as well - they seem to be a good all round choice - I think they will compete well with the srh1540s and t70s of the world.

 

Hope that helps.

post #56 of 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaboo View Post
 

The Performance 880's have a very even and balanced signature - great bass when it is called for, balanced mids and highs - actually the 860 and 880 are 2 of the most balanced ultrasones I have heard. The 880 is much along the lines of the pro2900 and sig pro being quite balanced with a slight tilt to the bass and highs. The 840 night be worth a listen to you if you like the sig DJ bass but the overall clarity is lacking compared to its 2 siblings. All are preferable to my ears to the pro900 and I think the 880 is very much the star of the show. Its highs were a little sharp but after having other experience with ultrasone titanium drivers this will definitely calm down once they get some hrs into them - the unit I heard was fresh out of the box and I only had about 15mins listening with them so the drivers would have been pretty stiff. Add to this that they come with a set of velour pads along with the standard protein leather and 2 cables. They seem to be a logical step up from the 860 and a clear step up from the 840. They reminded me of the sig DJ in the soundstage and the balance of mids to highs with a tighter less massive bass. More highs but I think that would calm down after a little burn in as stated earlier - in any case the highs even out of the box were a lot less sharp than the pro900. Comfort was great on these as well - they seem to be a good all round choice - I think they will compete well with the srh1540s and t70s of the world.

 

Hope that helps.

Absolutely helps! Thanks for sharing your opinion and time with everyone regarding these cans. I'm excited to give them a listen.

 

Cheers!

post #57 of 505

Hi,

 

I am also kind of interested in getting the performance series particularly the 860. However I want this to be my travel headphone but concerned it might be too big and I cant see any specs on the size of this cans....

 

I was also considering B&W P5 S2 model, Does any1 have any experience with this model and how they stack up against each other in terms of sound signature and portability as well...probably too early to make any comparisons!

 

 

Thanks

Alvin:D


Edited by alvinmate - 10/12/14 at 8:01pm
post #58 of 505
From the photos we have seen, I guess they are not really small. But they are foldable. And the rather large earcups are comfy, that's for sure.
post #59 of 505
The earpads with their slim circumaural padding and large ear holes look very comfy.
Edited by marcswede - 10/15/14 at 4:21pm
post #60 of 505

Well my search for closed HP keeps getting more complex - had settled for Shure 1540 then just before trigger-time heard about Sony Z7 - tried those briefly at the sony store and felt they were probably the prime contender, then stumbled on the Senn DJ H8, which I actually like better than the Shure 1540, especially the better isolation and lower price.  Disqualified the TH600 due to lack of isolation.  So I thought it was a 3 horse race:  Sony - Senn - Shure, but now this 880 is looking wicked-cool.  Love the huge cups with the thin pads, a la HD800, love the cable, love the swivel cups; can`t wait to hear `em.  They`re right in line price-wise with the SONY Z7 and Shure 1540, here in Japan.  

 

Can anyone comment on the isolation ?

 

Thanks fellas,

 

d

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)