have they announced the price?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SRH840tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/14
- productUltrasone Performance 840 S-Logic Plus Surround Sound Professional Closed-back Headphones with Transport Casetagged by Currawong, 12/18/14
- productUltrasone Performance 860 S-Logic Plus Surround Sound Professional Closed-back Headphones with Transport Casetagged by Currawong, 12/18/14
- productUltrasone Performance 880 S-Logic Plus Surround Sound Professional Closed-back Headphones with Transport Casetagged by Currawong, 12/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendation for closed back and over ear headphones for $200 that work well amped and unamped? Last post on 7/14/15 at 10:57am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best headphones for movies? Last post on 2/19/15 at 3:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which earpads are compatible Last post on 2/9/15 at 10:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- $100-$200 closed back headphones Last post on 2/19/15 at 1:53am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Hello Last post on 2/24/15 at 1:33am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
What a great headphone! Disclaimer: at my house to get any head time at all, you've got to match up with the Sennheiser HD800, PSB M4U 1, Klipsch Status, HiFiMan RE-262, and others. In short, the...
Accutone Pisces Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Accutone for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/828002/accutone-pisces-earphone-review-by-mark2410 Brief: ...
Disclaimer: This review was originally published at http://headflux.de/inear-prophile-8 on September 24, 2016 in German. We've been invited by InEar to test the prototype for the purpose of writing...
Apple is really doing it: they're taking a brand that has the dominant marketshare in the headphone marketplace despite having had subpar audio quality, and greatly improving it while adding...
I would like to thank Ken from Campfire Audio for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Introduction ALO Audio has been an established name in the industry for...
Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm super excited about these, actually. Pro 900 has always been my favorite headphone, and has remained so after searching low and high for a better EDM can. I just love their sound signature with the great bass impact and crisp highs.
Anyways, I'm curious as to how these will sound. Will it be the deep V shaped signature that I'm used to from Ultrasones? I think I'd be cool if they went in a little different direction with the new cans.
Well, I'll certainly be keeping my eyes on the reviews for these, and on this thread.
Edited by TWerk - 9/20/14 at 11:43pm
The thing though, is I don't like to buy new headphones that have been just released. If you look at most headphones, within 2-4 years, the price drops pretty steep from when it was first introduced to the market. Look at TH-900. Those used to be $2000 at launch, I think, and now you can get them way under that.
I'd probably wait awhile before buying anything very new unless it had some crazy awesome reviews.
Edited by TWerk - 9/21/14 at 12:07am
Performance 840 €236
Performance 860 €295
Performance 880 €374
From what Ultrasone hints they follow the signatures from the HFI line:
860: gold-plated transducers, linear response (<=HFI-680)
880: titanium-plated membranes, extended frequency range (<=HFI-780)
840: the bassy one? (<=HFI-580)
The 880's specs seem very similar to Edition 9 (Titanium-coated driver, 96dB sound pressure, 7-35000Hz), but Edition 9 had the centered driver à la HFI.
Edited by marcswede - 10/3/14 at 4:12am
Ok, just reporting in this thread as I may be one of the first people to have auditioned all three of the new performance series headphones. I dropped into my favourite headphone store here in Melbourne on the off chance that they had received their stock of these and to my surprise they had received all three for display purposes - they are still awaiting their main stock. They had already had a brief listen to the 840 but the 860 and 880 were still sealed and I was the first person to hear them.......So what did they sound like?? In a word GREAT!! Especially in their respective price points and their position in the pantheon of the Ultrasone range.
Firstly I had a brief listen to the 840 - classic bass heavy model along the lines of the hfi580 but smoother overall, much greater comfort and better styling. These will make a lot of bassheads very happy - a good alternative to the M100 or DT770
Then came the 860 - a big jump in detail and a much more linear presentation a la the hfi680, same great comfort and styling as the 840 but a clear step up if you like more than just bass heavy genres.
Lastly I grabbed the 880 - wow, another step up again and IMO worth the extra $$ over the 860, especially when you consider that it comes with 2 sets of pads and 2 cable lengths so the accessories alone may justify the increase in price - but the sound also was clearly more dynamic and rounded while still maintaining a balanced signature, they were a little sibilant out of the box but prior experience with Ultrasone titanium drivers would probably see this calm down with a little playing in.
I was sufficiently impressed by the 880 that I decided to put it up against the 2 Signature models. It was very close in balance to the Signature pro but with a little more space, less thick sound. Next up was the Sig DJ which had a clear elevation in bass from the other 2 but the soundstage was similar to the 880 so it sort of had the balance of the Sig pro with the soundstage of the Sig DJ. Less micro detail than both but not by much and considering the 880 is more than half the retail price of both the signature models it would be expected that it would fall short somewhere. But as I said, not by too much and they were very enjoyable nonetheless.
I only listened to them all directly from my ipod so there is always the assumption that the signature series would probably scale a little better with amplification but you never know, the performance series may improve a bit as well.
Overall, I was very impressed with both the 860 and 880.
They are well worth a listen if you are looking for a mid price closed headphone
A bit sharper but no more strident. Still in balance with the mids. I think it would probably calm down a little as they burnt in a little as they were literally just out of the box. The major differnece between them and the sig pro was the depth to the mids. The sig pro had much more micro detail but also felt much more congested - the soundstage of the 880 was more open, more like the sig DJ in that respect.
- Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 2 seconds ago
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 13 seconds ago
- › MicroZOTL2 Upgrade Discovery Thread..... 33 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Help me find the perfect headphones based on the genre of music I... 1 minute ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Known bugs/issues with latest X7 firmware 2 minutes ago
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by mark2410
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by bartzky
- › Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphone - Black by MICHAELSD
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by flinkenick
- › TFZ Balance 2M by ustinj
- › Nobsound NS-01E Mini Tube Headphone Amplifier Stereo HiFi Amp Audio... by crabdog
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by Wokei
- › Lindemann musicbook:10 DSD by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by DynamikeB
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear