have they announced the price?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productShure SRH840tagged by nightmancometh, 9/25/14
- productUltrasone Performance 840 S-Logic Plus Surround Sound Professional Closed-back Headphones with Transport Casetagged by Currawong, 12/18/14
- productUltrasone Performance 860 S-Logic Plus Surround Sound Professional Closed-back Headphones with Transport Casetagged by Currawong, 12/18/14
- productUltrasone Performance 880 S-Logic Plus Surround Sound Professional Closed-back Headphones with Transport Casetagged by Currawong, 12/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendation for closed back and over ear headphones for $200 that work well amped and unamped? Last post on 7/14/15 at 10:57am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best headphones for movies? Last post on 2/19/15 at 3:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which earpads are compatible Last post on 2/9/15 at 10:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- $100-$200 closed back headphones Last post on 2/19/15 at 1:53am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Hello Last post on 2/24/15 at 1:33am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm super excited about these, actually. Pro 900 has always been my favorite headphone, and has remained so after searching low and high for a better EDM can. I just love their sound signature with the great bass impact and crisp highs.
Anyways, I'm curious as to how these will sound. Will it be the deep V shaped signature that I'm used to from Ultrasones? I think I'd be cool if they went in a little different direction with the new cans.
Well, I'll certainly be keeping my eyes on the reviews for these, and on this thread.
Edited by TWerk - 9/20/14 at 11:43pm
The thing though, is I don't like to buy new headphones that have been just released. If you look at most headphones, within 2-4 years, the price drops pretty steep from when it was first introduced to the market. Look at TH-900. Those used to be $2000 at launch, I think, and now you can get them way under that.
I'd probably wait awhile before buying anything very new unless it had some crazy awesome reviews.
Edited by TWerk - 9/21/14 at 12:07am
Performance 840 €236
Performance 860 €295
Performance 880 €374
From what Ultrasone hints they follow the signatures from the HFI line:
860: gold-plated transducers, linear response (<=HFI-680)
880: titanium-plated membranes, extended frequency range (<=HFI-780)
840: the bassy one? (<=HFI-580)
The 880's specs seem very similar to Edition 9 (Titanium-coated driver, 96dB sound pressure, 7-35000Hz), but Edition 9 had the centered driver à la HFI.
Edited by marcswede - 10/3/14 at 4:12am
Ok, just reporting in this thread as I may be one of the first people to have auditioned all three of the new performance series headphones. I dropped into my favourite headphone store here in Melbourne on the off chance that they had received their stock of these and to my surprise they had received all three for display purposes - they are still awaiting their main stock. They had already had a brief listen to the 840 but the 860 and 880 were still sealed and I was the first person to hear them.......So what did they sound like?? In a word GREAT!! Especially in their respective price points and their position in the pantheon of the Ultrasone range.
Firstly I had a brief listen to the 840 - classic bass heavy model along the lines of the hfi580 but smoother overall, much greater comfort and better styling. These will make a lot of bassheads very happy - a good alternative to the M100 or DT770
Then came the 860 - a big jump in detail and a much more linear presentation a la the hfi680, same great comfort and styling as the 840 but a clear step up if you like more than just bass heavy genres.
Lastly I grabbed the 880 - wow, another step up again and IMO worth the extra $$ over the 860, especially when you consider that it comes with 2 sets of pads and 2 cable lengths so the accessories alone may justify the increase in price - but the sound also was clearly more dynamic and rounded while still maintaining a balanced signature, they were a little sibilant out of the box but prior experience with Ultrasone titanium drivers would probably see this calm down with a little playing in.
I was sufficiently impressed by the 880 that I decided to put it up against the 2 Signature models. It was very close in balance to the Signature pro but with a little more space, less thick sound. Next up was the Sig DJ which had a clear elevation in bass from the other 2 but the soundstage was similar to the 880 so it sort of had the balance of the Sig pro with the soundstage of the Sig DJ. Less micro detail than both but not by much and considering the 880 is more than half the retail price of both the signature models it would be expected that it would fall short somewhere. But as I said, not by too much and they were very enjoyable nonetheless.
I only listened to them all directly from my ipod so there is always the assumption that the signature series would probably scale a little better with amplification but you never know, the performance series may improve a bit as well.
Overall, I was very impressed with both the 860 and 880.
They are well worth a listen if you are looking for a mid price closed headphone
A bit sharper but no more strident. Still in balance with the mids. I think it would probably calm down a little as they burnt in a little as they were literally just out of the box. The major differnece between them and the sig pro was the depth to the mids. The sig pro had much more micro detail but also felt much more congested - the soundstage of the 880 was more open, more like the sig DJ in that respect.
- Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Moon Audio silver dragon JH Audio 4 pin to 4.4mm Sony cable ( new... 11 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 15 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 16 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 19 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 20 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 20 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 20 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 21 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 22 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 22 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear