Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Closed back vs Open back for rock? on ear vs over ear? Under $200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Closed back vs Open back for rock? on ear vs over ear? Under $200

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

i have a budget of $200 i listen to mostly alternative like radiohead, Soundgarden, phish ld zeppelin. need something durable for getting around and traveling too.I want something with good isolation for immersion

post #2 of 12
Are you really considering open back? As they certainly aren't going to isolate as much as closed.
post #3 of 12
post #4 of 12
you wont have great immersion with open back headphones. everyone's gonna annoy you to turn them off.

might as well bring speakers if you are thinking of open back for traveling
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

are they really that bad? If so i guess i'll go with closed back

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanOffspring View Post

are they really that bad? If so i guess i'll go with closed back

maybe i was exaggerating, but they do leak a lot of noise. i personally hate it when people use speakers/open back headphones in public.

open back provides no isolation though. with them on or off I can hear my fan clearly. with closed headphones i cant hear my fan. if you want open back headphones to isolate a lot of noise you'll have to turn them up pretty loud and it will annoy everyone around you.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

thanks for the heads up! I hate when i can hear peoples music in public always thought it was just vary loud.

post #8 of 12

The Shure SRH840 is good with rock (but not as good as my Grado SR325is, which is open) and has excellent isolation.  It also folds and has a detachable cable, making it fairly portable.  It is not comfortable to use for long sessions, though.  Here and elsewhere, the SRH840 has excellent reviews.  I would suggest looking into it if you are not planning on having sessions that last several hours on a regular basis.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanOffspring View Post
 

are they really that bad? If so i guess i'll go with closed back

Not at all, I bring my SR225i's on planes and, while they don't really block out noise, they aren't nearly that bad and I've never had anyone complain (nobody will be able to hear it on the bus or stuff if you keep it under a nice 70db or so).

 

Also, since my SR225i's are my favorite 'cans of all time, I'm going to recommend Grado's new version; the SR225e's.


Edited by ThickGlasses - 8/11/14 at 7:22pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickGlasses View Post

Not at all, I bring my SR225i's on planes and, while they don't really block out noise, they aren't nearly that bad and I've never had anyone complain (nobody will be able to hear it on the bus or stuff if you keep it under a nice 70db or so).

Also, since my SR225i's are my favorite 'cans of all time, I'm going to recommend Grado's new version; the SR225e's.

He wants isolation though so open back isn't the best for him. And most of the time the people can hear it, but that doesn't mean they'll do something about it as long as you aren't listening at very loud volumes or purposely trying to annoy them.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby12 View Post


He wants isolation though so open back isn't the best for him. And most of the time the people can hear it, but that doesn't mean they'll do something about it as long as you aren't listening at very loud volumes or purposely trying to annoy them.

True enough I suppose, but I've loaned them to family members on occasion and I could never hear it :/

 

I'll attribute that to my wooden ears :p

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickGlasses View Post

True enough I suppose, but I've loaned them to family members on occasion and I could never hear it :/

I'll attribute that to my wooden ears tongue.gif


oh they're on ears so that's probably why they leak less noise. I was thinking about my hd598s and q701s and they leak a lot lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Closed back vs Open back for rock? on ear vs over ear? Under $200