Time to upgrade...
I'm using Beyerdynamic T70 with bent headband and Beyer Gel Pads currently, and they are ok for the price and have many positives:
- absolutely no sound leakage outside
- isolate very well from sounds outisde
- bass is fairly accurate and tight
- my ears fully fit inside the pads (totally circumaural) and my ears don't touch the driver grille cloth
However, the downsides:
- they can be a bit bright for my taste (I'm more geared towards my LCD-2, but they are open, heavy and require driving)
- gel pads are sweaty and hot to wear
- the comfort on top of the head (due to the headband minimial cushioning) is not best in class
So, I'm looking for a a very specific replacement:
- big pads, fully circumaural (over the ear), deep pads
- have to isolate well (both to/from outside). Best in class or near
- must be ultra-comfortable to wear
- absolutely no bright headphones (can't stand any of the Ultrasones, Grados pierce my brain)
Have already tried:
- Nad Viso HP50 (pads suck for me, too shallow, too small diameter), liked the sonics, built quality was plastic-toy-quality
- AKG K550 (not the best sound, low isolation, not the best fit for me, a bit shallow, sonics/measurements are lacking esp. in bass)
- Sony MDR-1 (way too bright for me)
I've thought about LCD-XC, but they are so heavy and will probably make my top of the head hurt, like my LCD-2v2s do. So, they are out.
What's the consensus on Shure SRH1540? Esp. on isolation and comfort?
How about the Focal Spirit Classic/pro on comfort over longer periods?
Are there any better (larger, more comfortable) replacement pads for either available as of now?
Thanks for any tips!