Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › What to get, PSB M4U 1 vs. the Bowers and Wilkins P7?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What to get, PSB M4U 1 vs. the Bowers and Wilkins P7? - Page 3

post #31 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I've returned a few headphones to Amazon. Yes. If you keep the headphones mint and don't destroy the retail packaging, you can return them. You pay return shipping costs (at their prices, which is good). They issue a pre-paid label in the RMA process and subtract the cost off your credit. I just put no longer wanted or needed as the reason, and they take them back. They don't go through some lengthy approval process. It happens instantaneously. You can do the whole RMA process in a couple of minutes.

This applies to Amazon and Fulfilled by Amazon. For 3rd party vendors who do their own shipping, you have to consult their policies.

 

Is it easy to keep their retail packaging intact, for most headphones you've gotten?


Edited by nuraman00 - 8/9/14 at 11:12am
post #32 of 52
Yes. If you don't rip into it like a kid at Xmas. smily_headphones1.gif

And the HP150 packaging is REALLY easy since the packaging is actually just their case, not a bunch of cardboard, inside a single box. Some other headphone packaging can be a challenge to put back together unless you take pictures as you take it out.
post #33 of 52

NAD HP50 ?

post #34 of 52
Thread Starter 

Ok, another update.

 

I used the "find a dealer" on PSB's website, to see if some dealers carried the headphones.  However, when I called those actual stores, one of them said they stopped carrying home audio, it wasn't generating enough revenue.

 

If I were to travel to demo the B&W P7, but not be able to demo the others, I don't think it would be fair.

 

I also contacted Amazon.com's customer support, and they confirmed what cel4145 said about their return policy.

 

So, I decided to purchase all 3 of B&W P7; SoundMagic HP 150; and PSB M4U 1.  I'll keep whatever I like the best.  And this way, I can compare them in exactly the same conditions I'd use my headphones, with the same music.

 

I could save at least $20 on the P7 if I bought it elsewhere, but oh well, I think I have to do the comparison.

 

And I'll lose some money (maybe $7 per returned headphone) on return shipping.

post #35 of 52
I would bet better than even money that the PSB and HP150 will be most similar of the three in frequency response.
post #36 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I would bet better than even money that the PSB and HP150 will be most similar of the three in frequency response.

According to the specs, PSB goes from 20-20,000Hz.

 

HP150, as you personally know, goes from 10 Hz-30KHz.

 

P7 goes from 10Hz to 20kHz.


Edited by nuraman00 - 8/9/14 at 3:43pm
post #37 of 52
Thread Starter 

I still have one outstanding question from the past 3 weeks.

 

I've read that these high quality headphones make poor audio sound worse.

 

What's going to happen when I listen to my portable radio?  I have a Tecsun PL 600 btw.

 

http://www.kaitousa.com/PL600.htm

 

Will these headphones make the radio sound any worse than the Sony MDR-V6 did?  Or will it be similar?

post #38 of 52
Thread Starter 

cel4145, where does the HP 150 rank among your headphones, and does it make the top 3?

post #39 of 52

now that there is gonna be a shootout...

 

i am venturing a guess...that the op will end up with the BOWERs. :P

 

why, cos when he holds it in his hands, that quality leather n feel is gonna smite him real gooooood.:tongue_smile:

post #40 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

now that there is gonna be a shootout...

 

i am venturing a guess...that the op will end up with the BOWERs. :P

 

why, cos when he holds it in his hands, that quality leather n feel is gonna smite him real gooooood.:tongue_smile:

:)

 

I looked at your profile, and noticed you didn't list the PSB on there?  Did you not end up keeping it?  Your earlier post said you preferred the PSBs to the Bowers.

post #41 of 52

didnt buy any of these two cans...but bought a 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged

post #42 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

didnt buy any of these two cans...but bought a 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged

What did you like about the Yamaha one more than those two?

 

And in general, do you think some closed headphones can sound similar to open ones?

 

Are there cases where someone prefers the sound of a good closed one to a good open one?

 

I'm just thinking about how you got an open one, and how one of the other headphones cel4145 has is an open one.

post #43 of 52

i bought the yammy just reading the thread :P ( i fancy having a "studio recording" type of can in my stable )

But once i have it in my hands, realised it has a tall embracing airy sound..and imaging of live performances is really good.

It is even more neutral with velor pads..vs the stock pleather pads. 

 

Generally i like/prefer closed cans...i like the controlled ambience..without external disturbance.

Closed cans doesnt mean the soundstage is small...it can be huge...enough....eg a denon D7000

Too big a soundstage like a hd800 can lose some intimacy esp on vocals.

 

For open cans...i love the LCD2... it is an amazing can...each time i put it on i am HAPPY 

post #44 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post
 

i bought the yammy just reading the thread :P ( i fancy having a "studio recording" type of can in my stable )

But once i have it in my hands, realised it has a tall embracing airy sound..and imaging of live performances is really good.

It is even more neutral with velor pads..vs the stock pleather pads. 

 

Generally i like/prefer closed cans...i like the controlled ambience..without external disturbance.

Closed cans doesnt mean the soundstage is small...it can be huge...enough....eg a denon D7000

Too big a soundstage like a hd800 can lose some intimacy esp on vocals.

 

For open cans...i love the LCD2... it is an amazing can...each time i put it on i am HAPPY 

 

What kind of a setup do you have when you listen to music?

post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post

cel4145, where does the HP 150 rank among your headphones, and does it make the top 3?

Yes. It is in the top 3. Rating beyond that is difficult because each headphone has it's own character. For example, comparing the HE-400 to the HP150 would be like comparing pizza and cake smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › What to get, PSB M4U 1 vs. the Bowers and Wilkins P7?